Join our zoo community

Out of all of these, which is the worst zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Luke da Zoo nerd, 16 Jan 2020.

?

Out of all of these zoos, which is the worst?

Poll closed 1 Feb 2020.
  1. Phuket zoo

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Surabaya zoo

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Mumbai zoo

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Tirana zoo

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That is well said @(Adsa). Any post on any social media can incite response that is opposite of what you were looking for. Sometimes that response can be hard to deal with, especially when it's criticism. I often find those arguing with or giving criticism to me usually have valid points for doing so, and I choose to learn from it rather than get upset. If I'm wrong about something or didn't think it through, I'd prefer to know and learn from it. It hurts sometimes, but I find I'm better for it.

@Luke da Zoo nerd While it hurts to have your thread and ideas criticized, it was done so much more respectfully here than you would have received on most social media platforms. I've found Zoochatters to be an excellent group at arguing respectfully and giving constructive criticism, rather than using personal attacks and insults common to most social media. Indeed, such threads as the Zoochat Cup series of threads is based on argument, and is mostly done pretty respectfully by social media standards I feel. Obviously we all have different opinions, but it is quite commendable to the Zoochat community that we can respect others at much as we do. We're not perfect, but we do pretty well.
    It is up to you whether you stay or go, but I hope you will think about whether you want to learn from the experience and continue, rather than quit in anger after receiving some constructive criticism. Most of us on here have probably started a thread on here we received constructive criticism on, you're not the only one.

2. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, you can’t really vote what is the worst zoo when you haven’t visited any of the zoos you mentioned. I have an advice for you; as I was the same as you; just get on with your own business, as there are members here who can give a reasonable argument which you don’t want to be on the losing side. I, myself posted a thread some years ago criticising the use of concrete in enclosures, which other members of this forum taught me about how each species have varying needs (eg hoof stock do well with concrete). Nobody wants you out of Zoochat. The media can overemphasis zoos, making a zoo look more worse than it actually is.

birdsandbats and Great Argus like this.
  3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Out of interest, who has visited any of these zoos?

4. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

@devilfish has visited the Phuket zoo.
    @Pedro and @Maxime have visited the surabaya zoo.
    @Chlidonias has visited the Mumbai zoo.
    I don't know anyone who has visited the Tirana zoo.

5. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Rather a few members compared to the number of members on this site. You simply can’t judge by looking at the members’ photographs, as you can’t take a photo of the WHOLE zoo.

6. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

While everyone could agree these zoos are not the best around, having an opinion on which one is the worst or the best is even harder. I do not even have a top 3 best zoos I've visited because the question can be answered so many different ways, depending on the criterias I think are relevant and that can change depending on the zoo, its vision, its budget etc.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  7. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Additionally, he only provided photos from one zoo so even if we were to make a judgement based off of photos alone we couldn't.

~Thylo

TinoPup likes this.