Join our zoo community

Ouwehands Zoo Ouwehands Dierenpark, Rhenen

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Mabes, 17 May 2008.

1. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Actually, from what I’ve heard the remaining individuals are father, daughter and the other female. The mother of the daughter animal is the one now at Berlin TP...

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Right, I wonder. That would indicate they either want to acquire a second/new breeding male or that the other daughter might leave in due course too.

3. ShonenJake13

My guess is the former. Have two breeding pairs rather than one.

4. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

This week 3 female Humboldt penguins arrived from Zürich zoo.

Source:
    Login • Instagram

5. JurassicMax

6. JurassicMax

In recent years a lot of male Domestic Reindeers were born at the zoo, therefore 3 males were send to a zoo in France yesterday. Ouwehands dierenpark now has a group of 11 reindeers.
    Does someone know to which French zoo the reindeers were send?

The zoo will also take receive a Eurasian black vulture from GaiaZoo, because the aviary in GaiaZoo was damaged by heavy snowfall. According to zootierliste, GaiaZoo had 1.1 Eurasian black vultures, does someone know what happend to the other vulture?

Sources:
    Instagram of Ouwehands Dierenpark (17/03/2021) Login • Instagram
    Instagram of Ouwehands Dierenpark (12/03/2021) Login • Instagram

7. JurassicMax

Ouwehands direnpark has taken in a few fish from the aquarium of Artis, which is currently being renovated. They have taken in 7 Splitfin flashlightfish (Anomalops katoptron), 1 Australian Pineapplefish (Cleidopus gloriamaris) and 1 bamboo shark but looking at the video I think it's actually a Short-tail nurse shark (Pseudoginglymostoma brevicaudatum).
    These are all new species for Ouwehands Dierenpark. I believe that Artis had quite a few Splifin flashlightfish and short-tail nurse shark so I am not sure where the others went. For so far I know, Artis had only 1 Australian pineapplefish.

Source:
    Instagram of Ouwehands Dierenpark (19/03/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CMmvuEBqRRc/

Last edited: 22 Mar 2021
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Correct, short-tailed nurse shark. Incidentally, the splitfin flashlight fish had been residents of the Micropia museum deep sea tank.

JurassicMax likes this.
  9. ShonenJake13

That should mean that only one of the groups kept at Artis has been transferred to Ouwehands then, as when I visited in April 2019 they had a shoal in the Aquarium with the pineapplefish and a shoal in Micropia.

JurassicMax likes this.
  10. Kifaru Bwana

Right, ..., I wonder where in the old Aquarium, the tropical reef section below?

11. JurassicMax

I believe they were kept in one of the aquariums opposite of the amazone section.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  12. ShonenJake13

In any case, at risk of getting off topic, I suspect the group left behind in Amsterdam will have moved into the tank at micropia for the time being whilst the refurb happens.

JurassicMax likes this.
  13. JurassicMax

Could it also be a Brown-banded bambooshark (Chiloscyllium punctatum)?

14. Kifaru Bwana

Nope, these are much smaller and never exhibited in the tank on view.

JurassicMax likes this.
  15. JurassicMax

The male Keel-billed toucan (Ramphastos sulfuratus) that was born in the zoo in 2019, has moved to a zoo in Switzerland. I persume he moved to Kerzers (Papiliorama), given that they already have 1 female according to Zootierliste.

Source:
    Instagram of Ouwehands dierenpark (27/03/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CM6qAgVq7lb/

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

African elephant bull Tusker left Ouwehands Dierenpark this morning. An elephant calf is expected this fall, which means that Tusker's mission in Ouwehands has come to an end. Tusker is on his way to Basel zoo to have offspring there too.

Source: Facebook

GorillaBoy and JurassicMax like this.
  17. JurassicMax

Recently 4 female Humboldt penguins (Spheniscus humboldti) arrived from Tierpark Hagenbeck, the zoo now has 30 Humboldt penguins (15.15).

Source:
    Instagram of Ouwehands Dierenpark (25/05/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CPS209DKmiq/

18. JurassicMax

Last Friday the first bonobo's arrived at the zoo! The 3.1 bonobo's came from Zoo Wuppertal and consist of the 30-year old mother Eja and her three sons (Azibo, Ayubu and Bakari). Eja was born in 1990 in Frankfurt and lived at Zoo Wuppertal since 1996, in August 2011 she gave birth to Azibo and Ayubu (the only known bonobo twins worldwide to be raised succesfully). She gave birth to Bakari in July 2017.
    9 other bonobo's are expected to arrive from a French zoo (La Vallée des Singes) during the summer.

Source:
    Instagram of Ouwehands Dierenpark (31/05/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CPibWyFqXeh/
    Instagram of Zoo Wuppertal (31/05/2021) https://www.instagram.com/p/CPidkOatmEV/

19. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

Three questions:

1. Ouwehands seems to be the only zoo in the Netherlands who have some indoor areas open (the aquarium in Ouwehands is open, despite even larger greenhouses like Burgers' Bush still being closed). Does anyone know why this is?

I don't believe Ouwehands has a deep sea tank, nor a dark tank, was a new tank created for this species?

Is the new bonobo enclosure open for visitors yet? Since it's still under construction according to the map
    https://www.ouwehand.nl/uploads/Plattegrond/Plattegrond_mei_2021_web.pdf

Kifaru Bwana and MennoPebesma like this.
  20. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No dark tank needed for flashlightfish, I remember them being in a illuminated tank at Artis as well at some point in the last 5 years. (Not as brightly illuminated as coral reef tanks, but still light enough to see the animals)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.