Join our zoo community

SEA LIFE Blackpool overcharged

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by bongorob, 16 Jun 2015.

1. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A frew weeks ago Zoogiraffe, Nisha and I visited Blackpool Sealife. I had a 2 for 1 voucher so the three of us got in for the price of two, that is to times £17.50 per person.

I found my receipt last week and according to Blackpool Sealife two people paying £17.50 each is £36, I should have noticed the error at the time but I did not.

So I advise anyone else who visits this Sealife, or any other, to check what you are being charged.

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A Sea Life Centre ripping people off? Isn't that a standard part of the experience? ;)

On a more serious note surely you could ask for some sort of concession voucher? It may only be a pound to you/zg/Nisha but if they do it to all people with vouchers then Merlin are on to a major con! They are a for profit company and if found to be doing this on a large scale then their reputation will be tarnished even further!

This, along with the recent Alton Towers fiasco, could prove disastrous for the companies finances and they may have to sell some amenities... A couple of decent aquariums may arise from such a deal!

I'll be honest thoough, they'll probably give you a voucher and hope you leave it at that! But give them hell anyway Rob, you never know what you could get!*

*probably a free cuddly toy... :p

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A very amusing comment! Now that there are 8 Sea Life establishments in the United States I am fearful that they will continue to breed and spread across North America as they have done throughout Europe.

4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well in the UK they are a diminishing breed. Blue Reef and WMSP seem to be the ones that want surplus aquariums!

I used to love Sea Life but soon realised it was all McAquaria style display. This will be a massive (in zoochat terms!) blot on a great aquaria based nation. Let's hope Japan steer clear of the Merlin factor! ;) :p

Last edited: 17 Jun 2015
  5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

kind of seems to me that your last sentence basically applies to anywhere at all where you are spending money. Unless you are saying that Sealife is running a scam, it seems most likely that it was simple human error. Why not let them know - you still have your docket as proof - and they will either refund your £1 or tell you why your entry fee was more than the stated ticket price.

6. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I feel your pain.
    Get on to the other 2 sharpish and persuade them to share the hit, 33.33 pence is a more acceptable hit than a whole quid.
    Still on the upside there was a saving of 16.50 (5.50 each) for 3 full entries.

Hope I'm staying on topic but just checked and 17.50 sterling converts to almost 25 euro, which is interesting.

7. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I sent my receipt off, rthe other two zoochatters will get their share of the cost. I've not asked for the refund of my £1 because I am desperate for it, it is to draw their attention to a mistake on their system.

Bray admission is €11.50, another example of how England is overpriced.

8. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You've been just a little faster...;)

9. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't say I didn't warn you...;)

10. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lets hope they breed like Giant Pandas, not bacteria..................(one has probably opened as I type this:D;):rolleyes:)

Last edited: 18 Jun 2015