Join our zoo community

Owning a zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by ZebraDude95, 5 Jun 2018.

1. ZebraDude95

ZebraDude95 Active Member 5+ year member

One of my dreams is to own a zoo. However, I do not have any experience in zoos and I feel that I cannot handle the work done in zoos, such as drawing blood from animals to monitor their health and trimming nails and hooves. Is my dream unrealistic?

2. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Experience isn't something you're born with, it's something you gain. If you wanted to own a zoo, you'd probably want to have some sort of college education in a related field. You'd also most likely want to work at some sort of facility before having one of your own.

Plus, you can see facilities in terrible conditions that random people start. So there isn't any rule saying you cannot start a zoo.

Personally, if I made a zoo, I'd want to make it AZA-Accredited, which is what I would do if I were you. I'd also want to make one really nice exhibit area at a time, rather than many not-so-nice exhibits.

I wouldn't call you dream unrealistic, it's just one you'd have to work very hard for.

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm the exact same way @ZebraDude95. I want to own a zoo, not work at a zoo. While being AZA would be great, I don't think AZA would like me very much, cause I don't like being told what to do:p

ZebraDude95 likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Arizona Docent and EsserWarrior like this.
  6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

First step is to volunteer at a zoological facility to get experience. Second step is to get a good paying job (meaning probably not at a zoo) to fund it. If you are still in school (which I assume you are) you can get a degree in biology or zoology if you want to work at an established zoo. If you want to start your own zoo I would suggest getting a degree in computer science or business administration or medical technician or something that will get you a good paying job with which you can finance your endeavor.

Batto likes this.
  7. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Or do what I plan on doing, start your own business NOW, while you're still in school. Starting now gives you more time to work through the growing pains while making money isn't a necessity, since you're in school. You need to have plans though, both short and long term.