Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Pachyderm Forest

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 18 Mar 2010.

1. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Since the completion of the Pachyderm Forest is getting closer, I've decided to start this thread.

Here are some links with information of the new exhibit:
    Pachyderm Forest - Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens

http://www.lazoo.org/support/images/PachydermForest.pdf
    (this link contains the updated site plan and information)

Billy's Home
    (this was the site made by the zoo when the "elephant wars" were going on early last year)

Billy's Home
    (this contains lots of construction photos)

http://www.billyshome.com/documents/Pachyderm Prospectus for Billy's Home.pdf
    (this link has a lot of information, but it contains the old site plan)

Pachyderm Forest is scheduled to open November of 2010.

Last edited: 20 Mar 2010
  2. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Looks promising. What are your opinions based on what you've seen and been told at the zoo plus the info we have access to?

3. mstickmanp

From what I've seen and heard is that the zoo is going all the way with this exhibit. This is the biggest project the zoo has ever done, and the fact that the whole city of Los Angeles has a magnifying glass on the zoo after the "elephant wars", the zoo is trying to make sure that everything goes perfect.

The exhibit looks great so far. I like the fact that the elephants will be rotated around the whole complex, allowing them move around and not be bored of their surroundings. The two walking trails will also help the elephants exercise. Another positive is that Billy will not be confined to a tiny bull yard like many zoos seem to have. The yard that he currently lives in is 3 times larger than his former exhibit. I don't know how the barn will be from inside, but from outside it looks great and huge so far.

4. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Great countdown thread for Pachyderm Forest Mario, it's now full steam ahead!

5. mstickmanp

There is a new construction update on Billy's Home website.

link: Billy's Home

6. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Blackduiker

Thanks for the link to the website.

7. mstickmanp

It seems as though the zoo has once again changed the name of the elephant exhibit. When the exhibit was first announced it used to be called "Elephants of Surin", then "Pachyderm Forest", but now in the zoo's website it is called "Elephants of Asia".

Link: Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens

Also, in this link they show "Elephants of Asia" in the last two pages.

I actually hope it is officially changed as it fits better with the whole theme of the exhibit.

8. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if other species are being added to the new exhibit or is it just elephants?

9. mstickmanp

There will also be Sarus Cranes and Chinese Water Deers in the "Elephants of China" viewing area. There is one link that shows a Star Tortoise, which maybe exhibited in the "Elephants of India" viewing area.

10. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I actually like this change, but that is mostly because I abhor the word "pachyderm."

11. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think pachyderm forest was initially chosen because it was originally going to be for the zoo's elephants and rhinos and hippos. Giving more room to elephants was certainly the right decision, but I hope they do something better for the hippos and indian rhino in the not too distant future (the black rhinos are long gone).

12. mstickmanp

I found a link that shows examples of how some of the exhibit's graphics will look.

Link: Design by Wing Fong

This designer also designed the graphics in "Russia's Grizzly Coast" and are designing the graphics for the National Zoo's upcoming refurbished Seal and Sea lion exhibit.

Also, can a mod please change the title of the topic to "Elephants of Asia"? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 28 Aug 2010
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anyone can shed their light on this?

When are new themed exhibits due for the hippos and Indian rhinos?
    What is now in place for the Masterplan? What is next in the Masterplan after finishing Pachyderm Forest or Elephants of China?

14. mstickmanp

As of now I have not heard anything about new exhibits for hippos or rhinos. Maybe after the three current projects are finished the zoo can build new exhibits for them. The current projects are: Elephants of Asia (2010), Reptile House (2011), and Rainforest of the Americas (2012).

15. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

That's because the same exhibit design firm did all those exhibits and this designer is part of that firm

16. mstickmanp

I haven't been to the zoo in a couple of weeks, but I found some photos of Elephants of Asia in Flickr and it looks great!

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/shockinglyfantastic/5121211781/in/faves-mstickmanp/"]LA Zoo2 077 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/shockinglyfantastic/5121216583/in/faves-mstickmanp/"]LA Zoo2 084 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/shockinglyfantastic/5121819114/in/faves-mstickmanp/"]LA Zoo2 083 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/shockinglyfantastic/5121212409/in/faves-mstickmanp/"]LA Zoo2 078 | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

The exhibit is projected to open at the beginning of December, but due to the lawsuit the zoo might not be able to get the other elephants till after it is finished...

EDIT: for some reason I the photos won't show...

If you want to see how it looks just go to flickr and search "Los Angeles Zoo", then click on recent, and just scroll down to see the photos.

17. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the tip! Looks great.

18. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

19. mstickmanp

I was also hoping for younger females for breeding purposes. I read a couple of articles that say the zoo plans to have at least 4 females and Billy, so maybe more are due to come to the zoo in the near future.

Here is the LA zoo's press release: Press Room - Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens

20. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah great to see that Tina and Jewel get a new state of the art exhibit soon. Their current space is too small at EO.

Also with that barn, I really hope they paint some darker finishes onto some parts. Or else someone failed color theory class in college.