Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Pachyderm Forest

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 18 Mar 2010.

1. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

Since LA has had the court stay which prevented them from bringing in females to the zoo and time is running out before the grand opening, maybe the San Diego Zoo (who has always had an excellent working relationship with the LA Zoo) is being generous (and thumbing their noses at the LA political scene) and is loaning LA Tina and Jewel so that LA doesn't open a $42 million exhibit with only Billy.

Hopefully when the dust settles and the lawsuits are behind us, LA will be able to acquire some breeding females.

2. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I hope Billy is braver than our male, Ranchipur, the first time he saw Tina and Jewel he ran away. I will miss seeing Tina and Jewel. Especially watching Jewel's progress but I am for what is best for them. I am looking forward to seeing them in their new home.

3. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I was also thinking that this is what might happen.

As for Billy being brave...I don't know how he'll react to new females, specially since he hasn't seen females in years.

4. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah well, as long as no elephants are harmed or no incidents occur, it'll be good. I'm sure none of those things will help the law suit move in favor of the LA Zoo.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The pie is in the eating. Unstoppable! ;)

The exhibit is complete, now is time to fill it up. I am glad SD-Zoo as a well-respected institution in matters eles is coming to the aid of their LA sister institution. :cool:

6. mstickmanp

7. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recent updates mstickmanp, it looks like we're finally getting the beginnings of a new herd. May this new habitat be a showcase for Asian Elephant conservation for years to come.

8. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's a video up in the San Diego Zoo site about Tina and Jewel going to the LA Zoo. Some interesting footage of the new exhibits too.

San Diego Zoo

9. mstickmanp

Thanks for the link OL!

10. mstickmanp

11. mstickmanp

The LA zoo has also posted a video of Billy's first day in the exhibit. In the photos he looks happy, but in the video you could clearly see how happy he is!

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  12. Blackduiker

Fantastic confirmation of this exhibit's enrichment potentials!

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Something weird is going on. On the main page, I see your statement about the video but there is no link to the video. However, as I am typing this response, your video link appears in the quote of your statement above where I am typing. Can the moderators tell us why it is not showing up on the main page?

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is good that LA Zoo seeks media exposure on this in an effort to tell the real story / truth of elephants in captivity and in LA Zoo.

Hopefully, will assist in finally puttin paid to the negative and biased reporting on the issue of elephants at LA Zoo.

IMO, a wonderful and enriched environment/habitat for a socially adaptive species like Asian elephant. Simply great! :D

15. mstickmanp

I agree, it's good that the zoo is using the media to show the truth. For years the anti-zoo crowd used the same media to hurt the zoo's reputation, but now the zoo is coming back strong!

@Blackduiker: Yup, when I first saw the pics I was happy for Billy, but when I saw the video I couldn't stop smiling!:)

@Arizona Docent: It's weird that the video is not showing because I could clearly see it on the page...:confused:

16. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Great video, thanks for sharing. I hope Tina and Jewel will happy there also.

17. Blackduiker

The video and photos alone are silencing many critics here in LA, and bringing cheers to the majority that have supported this project for years. Silencing critics at least for now. Though it's hard to refute the joy Billy is having in his new environment. And the finished product is only going to make things even better; wait till he senses the arrival of the ladies too!

18. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is about time those critics shut up for once :D
    I can't wait to for Billy's reaction once he gets to be around the ladies again :)

19. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

He certainly looks like one overjoyed elephant :D

Will they be acquiring breeding females for him one day? Having checked Elephant Encyclopedia, he appears to be a wild caught animal, so surely that makes him quite a valuable bull for the Asian Elephant breeding programme?

20. mstickmanp

That is the plan for the zoo. From what I've read, the zoo plans to acquire two breeding females in the near future. The two females from SD Zoo were acquired to give billy some elephant company, which he hasn't have since construction began. I read another article where the Zoo director says that although the two SD females are on loan, the zoo plans to keep them till they pass on.