Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Pachyderm Forest

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 18 Mar 2010.

1. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is nice to see the at-the-ready communication between the elderly cows and bull Billy. It truly is an enriching habitat for elephants! :D

Chinese water deer: wonderful? Any other species considered?

3. mstickmanp

The LA Zoo has posted some pics of the girls in their facebook page: Login | Facebook

There is also Sarus Crane in the Elephants of China viewing area and I remember reading that maybe Burmese Star Tortoises in the Elephants of India viewing area. The original plans for this exhibit also had Hornbills in the Elephants of Indonesia viewing area with a view into the Sumatran Rhino exhibit, but the whole viewing area was cancelled when Andalas left for Indonesia. Because of this the hornbill exhibit was also cancelled.

4. mstickmanp

5. mstickmanp

The zoo has added a "countdown" to the website.

6. mstickmanp

7. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

8. mstickmanp

LOL, I was really happy when I saw that they made a new website, because the old one had not been updated since May. Hopefully they'll add more photos of the exhibit before it opens.

9. mstickmanp

New video's having been posted in the zoo's facebook page.

Link:Login | Facebook

You must go to the wall to see them. For some reason they haven't been uploaded in the "Elephants of Asia" website.

10. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The video didn't show off much of the exhibit, but they probably didn't want to show too much of it before the opening. Well and the fact that the elephants only explored that section of it. As for the elephants, this may be a weird observation, but it looks like they have really clean, maintained toe nails. I also liked when on of the elephants tilt her back leg on the other one in a relaxing pose.

11. CritterBlog

CritterBlog Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of T & J when they first arrived at San Diego, minus a 1,000 pounds and chained to a tree. I have been following them for years and after what they have been through they deserve all the best Los Angeles has to offer. It is nice to see them being able to walk instead of standing in a parking lot all day.

San Diego Zoo Blogs Blog Archive Tina and Jewel Update

12. CritterBlog

CritterBlog Well-Known Member

Also here is a video of Jewel's first tooth surgery at San Diego. I found it very interesting thought you might too.

San Diego Zoo

13. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I noticed the same thing about the girls toe nails! They received spa pedicures daily at the San Diego Zoo. I will miss them. I am hoping to make it up to L.A.next year to check on them. :)

14. mstickmanp

First of all, the new videos have been added to the site, so they'll be easier to find. The San Diego Zoo posted another video showing the arrival of Tina and Jewel to the LA Zoo:
    San Diego Zoo

15. mstickmanp

The website has been updated once again. They've added two more sections and have added another entry in the Diary section.

16. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

Won't these people ever give up. LA Zoo can move forward with elephant exhibit - San Jose Mercury News

Following is the text of the article in case the link doesn't work:

"LOS ANGELES—A judge has ruled that the Los Angeles Zoo can move forward with its plan to open a new elephant exhibit next week, but a lawsuit filed to stop the expansion can continue.
    City News Service reports Superior Court Judge John Shepard Wiley made the ruling Thursday.

Late actor and animal rights activist Robert Culp and real estate agent Aaron Leider filed the lawsuit in August 2007, alleging that the zoo did not treat the elephants well and the planned larger exhibit would be a waste of taxpayer money. A judge dismissed their suit in 2008 and Culp's attorney appealed. In September 2009 an appeals court ordered the case back to trial. Culp died in March, but Leider is still pursuing the lawsuit.

The exhibit opens on Dec. 16."

What's the point?

17. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Well, if somehow after the exhibit has been seen and enjoyed by thousands of people, the Court decides that it is indeed a waste of tax payer's money and that the zoo should be prevented from correcting its presumed past misdeeds by opening the new exhibit...thus closing the exhibit forever...it would be a moment worthy of Jon Stewart... or George Orwell

18. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

19. mstickmanp

Found a new video taken on Saturday:

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  20. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

This might sound stupid as I dont know the elephant situation over there or anything about the elephants apart from their names but when is Billy going to be introduced to Tina and Jewel or have they already have any physical contact?