Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 7 Jan 2015.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Today I saw three Barbary Sheep and four Tur - the full quota.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4.2 Elegant Crested Tinamou have arrived from Gaiapark in the Netherlands. These are the only Tinamou in the UK :) they are on show in the desert house and have already laid eggs!

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Paignton....

There are Elegant Crested Tinamou in private collections in the UK.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

tinamou are exciting, are they not? (I think so anyway). When was the last time any were on display in the UK?

5. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw them just after they had been released into the Desert House and they are lively and skittish yet very interesting - a little like Guinea Fowl!
    * If they are kept privately in the UK, how would one know?

I guess now that a new playground has gone up on the site of the old mammal house and rodent row, the plans for a new Baboon exhibit on that site have been shelved or postponed? Paignton are being very careful with their cash and pushing to be more family friendly. Maybe the next big animal centred spending would be to upgrade the Elephant enclosure (and surrounding Tapir/Anoa/Nocturnal house) once the situation changes in the coming years?

There are new & upgraded owl aviaries going up near the Cassowaries.

Does anyone know if the Ruffed Lemur enclosure has been fixed yet?

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It hadn't been yesterday. No sign of a climbing frame to replace the hewn trees and shrubs for the orangs either.

Isn't the top end of the zoo (elephant, giraffe etc) due to become a savannah area? I've heard talk of this over the years but I don't know how close it is to being realised.

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

0.2 red panda have left the zoo for Avifauna in the Netherlands.

8. Nisha

Last edited: 28 Apr 2015
  9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Begs the question, does this mean he will have a group formed around him?

Any potentially offspring and owership would mean that they would go to "dreaded zoos" an evil of the world that DA wants to rid the world off.

Shame I admired the man and his efforts while his ground was pretty central but since his shift....I find it hard to respect him now.

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes. When I was at Paignton last week I talked to the keeper after the Gorilla Talk and she said that he will be mixed with two Howletts-born females and two more coming from Hannover. Matadi is, of course, genetically valuable as he is the only surviving offspring of his father Sekondi, who was himself the only offspring of the Sam Sam and Yinka, the wild-caught pair formerly at Edinburgh.

Alan

11. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Im visiting Exmouth in August and was wondering if Paignton was the best zoo in the area
    if so whats it like? what species should i look out for? etc...

12. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Its a very good zoo definitely go there!!!

They have a great crocodile house and tropical and dessert houses which are quite different compared to other zoos tropical houses.They also have the regulars such as lions, tigers, giraffes, elephants, orangutans, gorillas e.t.c

The zoo is in woodland so make sure you visit on a nice day otherwise the weather could spoil it.

13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Paignton....

Get to Shaldon as well if you can, tiny, but with some unusual species in a delightful setting. Living Coasts is also worth a visit.

14. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree with this entirely, I think the combination of the three zoos in a close proximity is fantastic and very convenient.
    Living Coasts is a world class zoo even though it's tiny and Shaldon is probably even smaller but has a great collection of smaller species. Paignton is a completely different zoo, all your ABC's and a smattering of rarities scattered across a large site. A lot of walking but it's one of my favourite zoos so I think you should pay a visit :)

Last edited: 17 May 2015
  15. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Lads:D will definetly go to Paignton am going with my parents however so i think 1 zoo will be all that will be aloud :( might try to get into living coasts aswell as its an "aquarium":D:D

16. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you're going to Paignton and LC then I think purchasing the joint ticket will be your best option. Not only do you get discounted entry to both zoos but you can revisit them within a week for free. Well worth it! :)

17. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would recommend Paignton as the best choice: there are several rather unusual species. Try not to miss the hooded parakeets and elegant crested tinamous in the Desert House, the echidna (generally active in the afternoon), the tenrecs (generally not active very much at all :(), the Mishmi takin and West Caucasian tur (at the far end of the zoo) and the kusimanse group, as well as the species mentioned before.
    In addition, you can get a double ticket for Paignton and Living Coasts at a discount as they are run by the same Trust. I see Brum has recommended this as I was writing this post.

Alan

Last edited: 17 May 2015
  18. Nisha

19. ian999

ian999 Active Member 10+ year member

According to the zoo's Facebook page a giraffe was born at 2.30pm today in front of loads of visitors.

20. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

That's 3 times in about 18 months a Giraffe has been born within a few days of my visit. Strange.