Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 7 Jan 2015.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The male calf (Yoda x Sangha) is now being hand reared.

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sumatran Tiger, Tenang is also under the weather with suspected kidney problems:

PAIGNTON Zoo’s keepers are working around the clock after the new baby giraffe has taken a turn for the worse, when he became weak from not feeding properly.

The calf had been feeding well from his mother, Sangha, for 12 days, but recently his keepers had found him weakened after not getting enough milk.

The calf was separated from the other giraffes and the keepers are working hard to feed him by hand.

This is a critical time for the youngster and his keepers, giraffe calves form a very strong bond with their mothers and it may be difficult for the baby to learn that he now has to get his milk from the keepers and not his mother.

The giant Rothschild’s giraffe baby is receiving the full attention and care of his keepers and the Zoo’s in-house veterinary team. It is hoped he will make a full recovery

Meanwhile, the zoo’s male Sumatran tiger, Tenang, is also under the weather and currently off show.

Recently the tiger’s keepers noticed that the 14-year-old male was much quieter than usual as well as drinking a lot more. The Paignton Zoo vet team quickly carried out some non-invasive diagnostics and also collected some blood samples for testing. And results have shown that Tenang is most likely suffering from kidney problems - kidney problems are very common in cats of all sizes, from domestic pets to wild tigers.

Tenang is 14-years-old, which means that he is considered an older animal. His age is a complicating factor, but his keepers and the veterinary team are keeping a close eye on the big cat and he is receiving the best possible care.

Paignton Zoo spokesperson Phil Knowling said: “We are naturally concerned for both patients, but we know that they are in good hands and receiving the very best treatment possible. Thinking of the baby giraffe, your heart aches because he was doing so well for so long. Our keepers are dedicated and experienced – if anyone can help him, they can.

“Tenang is an older animal and we all know that life comes to a natural end. Our priority is quality of life and animal welfare. We may have to take a difficult decision with regards to Tenang, he is a wonderful animal and in breeding terms very important to the future of his species, but his individual welfare and quality of life take precedence.”

Keepers fear for new baby giraffe and tiger at Paignton Zoo | Torquay Herald Express

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sadly both Tenang and the baby Giraffe have had to be PTS: :(

The Rothschild’s giraffe born at Paignton Zoo in May has had to be put to sleep by vets. The youngster fed normally from its mother for 12 days before keepers were forced to step in and help out. The baby – a male – was then found collapsed in its stall. Despite the efforts of keepers and the Zoo’s in-house vet team, the difficult decision to put him to sleep was taken.

Ghislaine Sayers, Head of Veterinary Services at Paignton Zoo Environmental Park, explained: “He was getting enough milk, first from his mother and then from staff, so there is likely to be an underlying cause that the post-mortem examination will discover, though we won’t get the results for a few weeks.”

Zoo spokesperson Phil Knowling said: “We all know that with animals, whether they are domestic pets, farm animals or exotic zoo species, there are ups and downs, good times and bad. This is definitely one of the bad times. People here are saddened by this.”

Since the tragic fire in 2006 which claimed the lives of three giraffes, animal experts have rebuilt the Paignton Zoo herd. A male, Yoda, came from Givskud Zoo, Denmark in September 2006. Two females, Sangha and Janica, came to Paignton Zoo from the Czech Republic.

In nine years there have been eight giraffe births at the Zoo. Two animals have moved on to other collections, three – Joanna, Eliska and Otilie – remain at Paignton Zoo with their parents, making a herd of six.

Meanwhile, male Sumatran tiger Tenang has had to be put to sleep because of illness. Vet tests showed that Tenang was most likely suffering from kidney problems. This is very common in cats of all sizes, from domestic pets to wild tigers. In addition, at 14 Tenang was an older animal.

Tenang came to Devon from Perth Zoo in Australia. He was an important breeding animal, fathering 2 cubs in 2006 and 4 in 2009 with female Banda.

Whitley Wildlife Conservation Trust Director of Living Collections Stewart Muir said: “Every year we enjoy a lot of successful births, many of which are endangered species supported by the Zoo’s conservation programmes. Births, deaths and marriages are part of daily life in any zoo. It’s unfortunate that these two sad events occurred so close together, both for the staff who care for the animals and for our visitors.”

Zoo sorrow as giraffe baby dies - Paignton Zoo

5. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't normally comment on an event like this but to lose 2 high profile animals in a day is a devastating blow to any collection, regardless of size!

I feel for the keepers at Paignton, especially as the zoo holds a special place in my heart. :(

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They've been a bit up and down with the Giraffes really.:( Seems more born into this current group have been handraised than mother-reared. I believe the mother of this calf has raised a previous one so its a bit of a mystery as to what went wrong this time. Obviously a sad disappointment for them too.

7. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Male colobus "Harper" was moved to Zoo Vienna earlier this month. Does anyone know, how old he is? He seems to be young but he was mentioned several years ago on Paignton's website after the birth of a new colobus baby. So I'm a bit confused. He might be the oldest son of Martin and Ivy ... or was he born in February 2011 (to Martin x Squidge)?

Last edited: 21 Jun 2015
  8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Harper was indeed born on 11 February 2011 to Martin x Squidge.

9. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks a lot, Gigit! :D

10. ian999

ian999 Active Member 10+ year member

Paignton does not have a male tiger at the moment, I went to a private after hours tour and the keepers have said they are hoping to have a male by the end of the year but would not say where from.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Will they be replacing female, Shakira? I believe she's 13 (I'm not sure exactly) and Tenang was considered 'an older animal' before his death at 14.

12. ian999

Well I would have said the same about replacing her but the keeper's said that she could have another 5 years of breeding left.
    But as Shakira was hand reared she has never raised any cubs succesfully and she is very very keeper orientated.

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound too hopeful, does it. I heard a rumour that she wasn't keen on Tenang - maybe the new male will be able to charm her.

14. ian999

The keeper did say that its quite easy to get her to accept a new male but personally I cant see her breeding.

15. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited Paignton last Wednesday hope to do a visit review/walkthru sort of thing
    also visited Shaldon and will do the same about there

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

As a Paignton regular, I look forward to seeing your possibly different perspective on things.

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The latest residents in the house on the small island in Pelican Lake are Cotton-top Tamarins.

18. kiang

Matadi a male gorilla has left today for Howletts.

19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

New arrivals - three Lesser Adjutant Storks. They're in the former Marabou Stork enclosure.

20. kiang

Awesome addition!!!!!!