Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 7 Jan 2015.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Savannah

The latest issue of Zoo News mentions that the zoo has started working intensively on the new Savannah exhibit. It will take a couple of years to implement in full and will deal with the last few old buildings on the site. It will make tangible links with one of their major conservation projects in Africa.

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Gigit - what do they mean by 'working intensively' on the new savannah exhibit? In summer when I was back I saw the landscaping around the african aviaries but that was it. Do they mean planning - what do you think?

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It says that this will deal with the last few old buildings so I take it the nocturnal house and anoa paddocks will be lost. I know that this is in the name of progress but I hope it doesn't alter the feel of that part of the zoo too much. In all fairness the nocturnal house has seen better days, it could do with a makeover, especially with Shaldon's superior but smaller house a few miles up the coast! ;)

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I think they must be working intensively on planning at the moment as there's no physical evidence of changes yet.

There have been no new occupants of the old houses mentioned above, despite fairly recent assorted deaths and departures. I think there are now only 2 Tapirs, 2 Capybaras and just the one Anoa. I heard on the grapevine that the Camels were leaving so presumably that row of old housing will also be 'dealt with'.

5. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

I overheard a conversation with a Keeper a few weeks ago. The keeper said this is not set in stone. But the plan was to move the Takins to a new enclosure. The Takin enclosure will have a new Zebra stable built on it and the Zebra's will move there. Demolish the current Zebra stables. Maybe move from the Zoo the Tapir/Capybara and remove the old buildings around the nocturnal house. He admitted that the plans keep changing and the above isn't 100% guaranteed to happen. Saying that landscaping measurements was being taken by the Camels/Takin enclosure when I visited recently.

Personally though I would like to see the Anoa/Tapir/Capybara houses go... Horribly dated, dreary concrete, rusted metal and knackered bricks. The only thing I don't want is them to build another play area on top of it!

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Until I have seen the plans for the Savannah area, I won't comment too much.
    But from what I've read so far on this thread, I am suspicious and concerned for the animal collection as a whole.
    These 'super exhibits' usually come at a price - loss of species and often little or no new ones. I would like to hope I'm wrong and Paignton won't lose perhaps 6 species to gain a couple of antelope, but experience of similar at Marwell and London has the alarm bells ringing!

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Please, no, not another one!

I'd like to see the Takin in a more suitable surroundings. It's a shame they can't be mixed with the Tur in their wonderful enclosure when the elderly Barbary Sheep finally pass on.

On the rumours and speculation, putting the Hartmann's Mountain Zebras in the Takin area seems a bit strange, unless it is just the site of their new stable and they're going to be mixed with the Savannah animals. But even that is odd as sometimes they barely seem able to tolerate each other, let alone other species.

Some time ago there were plans to have a path up to the top of the zebra field and some sort of attraction up there (children's play area ?) but the local residents objected. Maybe moving the zebras out would allow something like this to be on the cards again. The neighbouring Lechwe might object as they seem nervous of anyone just walking along the bottom of their field.

I must say that I've never been overwhelmed by any Savannah exhibit, apart from perhaps Burgers, but even then I felt I was too far away from the animals. It'll be interesting to see what happens here anyway.

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

9. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My first visit for some time, I'd forgotten what a great zoo it is. One odd thing was the black rhino with three horns! I don't think I've ever seen this before.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Silverback, Pertinax, has undergone root canal treatment, much to the amusement of the local BBC news team when shown last night.

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They don't realise it is still a risky procedure. It is exactly how they lost the (Jersey-bred) silverback Kumba at Chessington some years ago.

Interesting how they are nearly always referred to as 'Western Lowland Gorillas' these days- in the old days it was just 'a Gorilla'.

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You'll recover :p

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

14. Pertinax

I'm always a bit leery when I hear of an upcoming Anaethsesia- of course most go fine but there's always that chance...:(

15. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The Golden Lion Tamarins have been replaced in their house by Pied Tamarins. There is at least one Golden Lion in with the Saki Monkeys.

I may be speaking out of turn, but the Vet was attending to one of the 3 Barbary Sheep a few days ago, and today I only counted 2.

16. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

On their website new male Sumatran Tiger Male called Fabi has arrived from Chester Zoo.

Not Zoo news as such but the Kingskerwell bypass has now opened, which should make the journey into Torquay/Paignton etc. A lot easier and quicker for those travelling down the A380 (me!)

17. Pertinax

Very good news...:) IMO Paignton of all the major UK zoos has always had the worst, most time-consuming road access, with the jams along the Newton Abbot-Kingskerwell section of road, and then(sometimes) around Torbay itself.

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

And a hearty 'three cheers' from all of us who will relish going the other way quickly :)

Fabi looks very big compared to Shakira.

19. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

I've never had any trouble getting to Paignton, I always come down the A38 to Buckfastleigh and through Totnes