Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 7 Jan 2016.

1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They are both male,well the Quince Monitor is another,I suggest we watch what they do given the plans these 2 will have things will change!

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZooGiraffe - I'm intrigued......, are you hinting that there are plans above and beyond the new Savannah exhibit? Is the new curator a 'Herp guy', hence the push with Crocs, tortoises, snakes etc?
    Re. the Crocs - the signage in the Croc Swamp is always incorrect and there are Cubans where they state Dwarfs are and so on......
    Re. The Quince - Could they source a mate or would they have to wait for another illegal import seizure?
    There are new aviaries being erected in the 'middle' area between the tropical and desert houses. Do we know what this could be for?
    Also, do you know whether the Takin will share the Tur/Barbary Sheep barn and have a 'crossing' to their new paddock over the path? Otherwise, the area (although more realistic) is actually smaller than what they have now.

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It looks as though the new Takin enclosure could be underway. Metal barriers were being erected today along the edge of the area opposite the Tur and further down the path. Interesting!

Brum likes this.
  4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay I have meant to reply to this post since it was done!So starting at the top to answer that question yes there will be plans beyond the Savannah,As for what the plans are regarding plans for the herps,I am afraid I am not saying as it was a conversation that was very off record between 3 old friends and a few zoochatters that also agreed to say nothing of what they heard.
    As for the signs in the Croc Swamp I am sure they will get it changed in due course.but they could yet move things back to where they are signed now!
    As for the Quince Monitor given this animals history just enjoy him while he is at Paignton!
    As for the rest I have no idea what they plan on doing.

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

In the 12 months to the end of October 2016, Paignton Zoo received around 475,000 visitors, up roughly 25,000 on the previous year. Less joyful news for some of us - there was an increased number of school bookings on last year.

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Making the most of a blissfully quiet day at the zoo yesterday, I came across a sign in Reptile Tropics for Black marsh turtles. I don't think I've noticed it before so it could be a new exhibit. The turtles were well hidden anyway. Last year's Inventory lists 5 arrivals - 1.1.3.

7. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Marsh Turtles have been there a while now but are normally difficult to see. The Tropical house is having a bit of a makeover and I do feel the Java Sparrows and the Mousebirds are kind of taking over? The Desert House is looking splendid.
    There are some turtles in with the Tomistoma, but not sure of the species.

I saw the fences around the new Takin exhibit. I wonder when this will get started?
    The Red Fronted Lemur pair were running laps of their outdoor enclosure 3 days ago with the male chasing, so hopefully.....?
    Not sure if the Curator has sourced some Bamboo Lemurs, as was rumoured, for the house just outside the Lemur Wood opposite the Orang Island?

The Pymy Slow Loris's should be moved soon into the old Tenrec House.
    The Howler Monkeys are off-show while the new male is quarantined.

Two of the Adjudent Storks have been moved into the netted aviary paddock behind the Owls near the parrot aviaries. The Marabous are off-show.

The Pudu's have either left or been moved off-show - not sure?
    There is one or more agouti in the Emperor tamarin house in M Heights.

The new Flamingo boardwalk is complete and ready for use.
    The last Chough from P Zoo and L Coasts has moved back to Paradise Park. Shame.

Lots going on but no obvious demolition in preparation for the new Savannah exhibit yet? This of course raises the question of whether the Zoo will go out of Anoa, Sloth, Cusimanse, Peccary, Rhea & Darwins Rhea (both paddocks they currently occupy are up for development)?

Exciting times at Paignton!!

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Choughs have been kept at Paignton Zoo for as long as I can remember, certainly back to the 1950's, probably earlier. I think they have bred them on occassions too so its sad they became reduced to a single bird. You say moved back to PP but did it come from there? If its from their original stock it would represent new blood for PP's stock if its still a viable breeder, though I am surprised they didn't keep it at Paignton(or LC?) and add another partner from PP.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

One pair of Marabous has moved on - can't remember where. The Pudu produced a tiny baby just before they were moved off-show. A sign said the enclosure was being refurbished but I haven't seen any work being carried out. I believe there's a lot of groundwork to do for the Savannah before demolition starts - installation of services etc, plus new housing for those animals that are staying. I don't know any details.

10. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The sign in the Nocturnal House for the Sloth has gone, along with the Sloth, I guess.

There is now work going on on the house in Lemur Wood formerly occupied by the Red fronted Lemurs.