Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriUK, 5 Jan 2017.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think this explains the structure that Gigit photographed in the corner of their enclosure (below). When I visited on Tuesday it had been extended further down the slope and covered completely. I did not see any of the lechwe.
    [​IMG]

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Badgers at Paignton Zoo are well-known though I believe they 'relocated' them a while ago from where the viewing sett used to be. Making the Zoo badger-proof( presuming they are to blame for this outbreak) as they say they want to do might be difficult as they can easily dig under fences, and what happens to the colony already in the zoo if they don't cull them( I'll bet they do...) Wonder how this situation may affect their Bongo too.

3. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

....and Anoa & incoming Duiker?

4. TriUK

So this was the 'euthanasia den'?

5. TriUK

How sad? Such beautiful animals!

6. gentle lemur

Yes indeed.
    I wonder if the zoo has tried to immunise the badgers in its grounds.

7. Pertinax

I don't know but it will be difficult for them, being a zoological garden, to 'cull' them without a heap of critisism if its found out, so maybe that's why they are at pains to say they won't be doing that. I also wonder if they will try and move them out of the zoo grounds if they make it badger-proof, or have their own( immunised?) colony still living inside any protective fence. Its a tricky one.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It has been confirmed recently in the most recent study once again that badgers are not the problem here and certainly not to blame for the occurrence of TB in cattle (nor would I expect it to be here in this zoo animal incidence).

I wonder what degree of TB was found in the lechwe antelope, the virulent and contagious form or an indication of exposure?

If TB treatment would be all about eradication (sounds better than extermination) only than us humans really will have a big problem with the human form of TB.

9. gentle lemur

There is nothing about this on the zoo's website or Facebook page yet. I guess they will have been testing all their other bovids and are awaiting results (fingers crossed). Perhaps they will then make a statement.
    On a brighter note, they have announced that the baby mangabey is a female. I am happy to be proved wrong.

10. Pertinax

Yay!:):) Gigit sent me a photo of it and I said I thought it was female but could not be entirely sure. That is good news after the shock news about the Lechwe.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2017
  11. Pertinax

Despite all the controversey, in the UK there's an ongoing situation of reducing Badger populations in certain areas- mainly the ones with large Dairy herds and large Badger populations, like South West England where Paignton is situated. Some of the areas where the culling is taking place were recently extended. I don't know if there's any link to the TB in their Lechwe, but it seems they will feel it necessary to take some action on their resident badgers, what form it takes remains to be seen.

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know the situation Pertinax. I just have serious reservations with the Govt. guidelines and their scientific back-up. All past and present studies have shown that reducing badger populations is counter productive to combatting TB disease in cattle / livestock. It is symptomatic treatment to be seen to be doing something, rather than being scientific / medically valid and effective in treatment of TB.

It would be a bit like in the human form of TB "culling" all those affected or having been exposed to the TB disease (the latter meaning the have come into contact with, but are not affected, nor suffer the open form of TB - the infamous Mantoux test). We consider that strategy to be an absolute no go area for humans and consider treating all those affected with active open TB with drugs and long-term treatment.

I would go as far as to say the unfortunate thing is that agriculture and the bureacracy / authorities certainly have a case to answer why they cannot clean up their industry themselves without pointing to outside "culprits" which have been demonstrated to be totally ineffective with treating TB infection in domesticated Bovidae.

13. Pertinax

But that won't alter the situation at Paignton. They will no doubt act within the framework of whatever the current Ministry advice is, though being a Zoo they will be in the limelight rather more than most farms are, when it comes to taking any action on Badgers on the site. They've said they won't cull them but I feel sure they will take some(other?) action here.

14. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Could someone please inform me of any animal departures planned or rumoured for this year. Also what is the future of Pertinax the gorilla the last I herd he was possibly going to be be with the others for a short while or be moved has this been disided. Also how the big cats any moves or new animals ariveing planned!? Any other zoo news would be appreciated so let me know anything!

15. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

As I mentioned before, the zoo, like most zoos, doesn't normally announce animal moves in advance and so any Zoochatters hearing rumours would probably keep quiet about them too on a public forum. Any other news usually crops up on Zoochat somewhere! I haven't asked about Pertinax recently - as far as I know he's happily living apart from the other gorillas. One would assume that the lion and tiger cubs will move on in due course as part of the breeding programmes.

16. The Hedgehog

Did any other animals except for the Antalope get affected by T.B. Are the still testing and do you know when we may have an answer. How are the Rhinos as I didn't see them outside on my last visit. Are any animals currently ill if so are you allowed to state which ones. Also have any died lately. A lovely zoo keeper told that Taru the zebra is currently in foal and is expected to give birth soon.

17. The Hedgehog

Should I be worried about Pertinax the gorilla as gorilla passion projects Facebook page has the following post:

And now our choice for GORILLA OF THE DAY is... N'dowe at Paignton Zoo! He turns 14 today! Happy birthday N'dowe!

Photos by Paignton Zoo and Miriam Haas.

N'dowe #1746 (male) (2003- )
    Born: September 22, 2003, at Barcelona Zoo.
    Owner: Barcelona Zoo.

Father: Xebo #0901 (1985- ) born at Rotterdam Zoo, currently resides at Barcelona Zoo.

Mother: Kena #0767 (1981-2014) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Reared by: Parent.

Siblings:

Aya (Aja) #1354 (female) (half) (1995- ) born and currently resides at Rotterdam Zoo.

Doba #1396 (female) (half) (1996-2013) born at Rotterdam Zoo, died at Heidelberg Zoo, cause of death: euthanized.

Unnamed baby #1467 (female) (half) (1998-1998) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Nimba #1517 (female) (half) (1999- ) born at Barcelona Zoo, currently resides at Burgers Zoo.

Batanga #1518 (female) (full) (1999- ) born and currently resides at Barcelona Zoo.

Unnamed baby #1557 (female) (half) (2000-2000) (1 day) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Besseki #1558 (male) (full) (2000-2001) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Unnamed baby #1559 (female) (half) (2000-2000) (1 day) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Muni #1560 (female) (half) (2000- ) born and currently resides at Barcelona Zoo.

Mayani #1667 (female) (half) (2001- ) born at Barcelona Zoo, currently resides at Antwerp Zoo.

Unnamed baby #1705 (female) (half) (2002-2002) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Kiondo #1706 (male) (full) (2002- ) born at Barcelona Zoo, currently resides at Paignton Zoo.

Kivu #1707 (male) (half) (2002- ) born at Barcelona Zoo, currently resides at Paignton Zoo.

Nbia #1809 (male) (half) (2004-2008) born at Barcelona Zoo, died at La Boissiere du Dore Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Kera #1810 (female) (full) (2004- ) born at Barcelona Zoo, currently resides at Bristol Zoo.

Kiri #1811 (male) (full) (2004-2009) born at Barcelona Zoo, died at Paignton Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Unnamed baby #1812 (female) (half) (2004-2004) (5 days) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Unnamed baby #1853 (male) (half) (2005-2005) (1 day) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

N'tua #1874 (female) (half) (2006- ) born and currently resides at Barcelona Zoo.

Ngoro #1875 (male) (half) (2006- ) born at Barcelona Zoo, currently resides at Amneville Zoo.

Babule #2044 (female) (half) (2010- ) born and currently resides at Barcelona Zoo.

Unnamed baby #2182 (female) (half) (2014-2014) (5 days) born and died at Barcelona Zoo, cause of death not listed.

Akiba #2213 (female) (half) (2015- ) born and currently resides at Barcelona Zoo.

M'bini #2214 (female) (half) (2015- ) born and currently resides at Barcelona Zoo.

Transfers:

September 22, 2003 / March 12, 2004: Barcelona Zoo

March 12, 2004 / December 17, 2007: Stuttgart Zoo

December 17, 2007 / May 7, 2008: Dore Zoo

May 7, 2008 / November 28, 2008: Stuttgart Zoo

November 28, 2008 / now: Paignton Zoo

N'dowe resides at Paignton Zoo in a bachelor group with his brothers Kiondo (14), and Kivu (14). I am slightly concerned as even since Pertinax has been separated posts regarding paingtons gorillas put on by Gorilla passion project have always included Pertinax as part of the group. However that was until yesterday when his name and age have been got ridd of. I just hope that Pertinax is alive and well.

18. Pertinax

This site does not seem very accurate in parts. For a start his mother Kena died at Blackpool, not Barcelona, while Ndowe was handraised not parent -reared, the dates given at the bottom for his moves indicate that anyway. As to Pertinax, I'm sure we would soon hear from somebody if there was any major change to his situation.

19. The Hedgehog

This lady has always even since his separation included Pertinax as part of the group so I thought he may have passed on as why would she suddenly remove Pertinax from the group list.

20. gentle lemur

As far as I know, Pertinax is fine. I was at the Zoo on Tuesday and, as I always do, I was at the gorilla island in time for the keeper's talk when Kiondo, N'Dowe and Kivu get a small feed so that the keeper can introduce them and explain a little about them. The keepers always talk about Pertinax too and explain that he is now kept separated from the others, but he can still see, hear and smell them and he is regularly allowed into the show den and onto the island. I think he also has access to the small outdoor cage under the entrance to the Ape House, but I have never seen him use it.
    When the other gorillas arrived, Pertinax was the only silverback and he effectively trained them to behave as gorillas, behaving with the restraint and care that silverbacks show for younger gorillas. However he is 35 now, which is middle-aged by gorilla standards, while they are now young vigorous silverbacks of 14 or 15. It is perfectly natural for them to challenge him and each other to set up a hierachy. Late last year Pertinax was no longer alpha male, and was vulnerable to being bullied by the younger males. He lost weight and his physical condition was deteriorating, so he was separated. Since then his health has improved and he looks very well. He does not often choose to go outside but can be seen in the show den from time to time. I took this photo at the end of May, when he looked very well indeed and I think he continues to do well.

Chatt Wolf and MagpieGoose like this.