Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 6 Feb 2018.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to the Burgers' Zoo twitter 4 Snowy-crowned robin chats and 3 Scarlet ibises will move to Paignton next week.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Hunt the Birds - I saw two Pink pigeons with the Azure-winged magpies in one of the ABC aviaries today. I didn't get as far as the Cottage Aviary, but last week I think there was a Socorro dove in there along with the Ruffs.

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Hunt the Birds (continued) - could only see the Ruffs in the Cottage Aviary today. It was raining and they were posing nicely as they sheltered (!) in the arched doorway of the cottage, until I pointed my camera at them. The yellow-shouldered parrots have moved to another aviary while the hyacinth macaws have taken up residence in their former home. It looks as though some work is going on in the macaw aviary.

TriUK, Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.
  4. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Went yesterday - lots of aviaries (bird & primate) out of use or being repaired due to wind & heavy leaf fall damage. Meerkat enclosure almost finished. Still no work on Takin or new Savannah development? Two squirrel monkeys still in Loris exhibit (no outdoor space not good long term!). The Ape moats are still very thick with green algae. Only two Bongo seen on last couple of visits - anyone know if they still hold four?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I believe two Bongo died last winter leaving just the two. I don't know who they are, but one is easily identifiable by her wonky horn.

TriUK likes this.
  6. TriUK

I stand corrected on the lack of outdoor space for the two male Squirrel Monkeys

Welcome to the (indoor) jungle | Paignton Zoo

I wonder where the Loris are?

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I think in the past they've held more than the couple on show so there must be an off-show area for them all. I did wonder the other day if they were in the nocturnal house but the door was locked. Also, all the signs indicating that it is/was a nocturnal house have gone.

TriUK likes this.
  8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank God for that! It was a terrible exhibit, too dark unless the animals were at the front of the enclosure, only two enclosures, one of which was the indoor section of the bats diurnal exhibit which defeated the point, (Why look at something in semi-darkness when they're visible in broad daylight just outside!), and finally the inhabitants were meh to say the least. The only plus was the fact the porcupine/sloth exhibit was bigger than your average nocturnal house exhibit but that was about it!

I hope that Paignton rebuild a nocturnal house at some point, just make it larger and maybe put the kiwi, loris, and mouse deer and tenrecs (if they still have either species back of house) in there instead! ;)

StoppableSan and TriUK like this.
  9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, Paignton needs to build a new nocturnal house (I was typing this when Brum's post above appeared).

TriUK, pipaluk and Brum like this.
  10. TriUK

I agree that a new nocturnal house is needed. It would be nice to see some collaboration between departments at Paignton. With the exception of the Zebra/Ostrich and Lar Gibbon/Waterfowl mixes, I can think of no other examples of Mammal/Bird depts working together.
    If they decide to keep the Kangaroos where they are currently, then the grass picnic area in front and to the side of the bird show area is an obvious place to build a Nocturnal House & could be an extension to Monkey Heights? I actually think the Feathered Friends bird show barn is under-used and would make a good footprint for a new house?
    So....., Loris, Kiwi, Mouse Deer, Tenrec (?) - what else would need accommodation currently?

Brum likes this.
  11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I would put the need for a nocturnal house above a desire for a Savannah exhibit ( I have a vision of unnecessarily winding paths, wrecked jeeps, African buildings and animals separated because they don't get on :() Going to see Kiwi in New Zealand is a big thing so they should be a star attraction here, especially when they get more than one. A modern house would give the zoo the chance to bring in other nocturnal species, apart from those they may or may not still hold. You're right about the Feathered Friends building which is only used during the summer.

StoppableSan and TriUK like this.
  12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I tend to agree about the Kiwi- properly presented in a nocturnal setting it/they would provide a unique attraction for a UK zoo at present and something of an interesting draw for visitors perhaps. With other nocturnal species displayed alongside, it would certainly warrant such a build. The Savanah on the other hand would no doubt be along the lines you describe.

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I've just uploaded a photo of one of the Cheetahs in its shelter along with a comment about shelters which should probably have gone here.

Cheetah, November 2018 | ZooChat
    Nice and snug in one of its shelters and fully visible to visitors. With the return of dismal wintry weather, I'd like to see more species provided with outdoor shelters, particularly some primates. The mandrills used to have one until their climbing structures were revamped a couple of years ago. They are sometimes shut out in the elements while cleaning is going on and don't look as though they enjoy it. The orang islands area is one of the coldest places in the zoo when the weather's bad and their only protection is a doorway with flaps over it. The gorillas might venture out more if they had 'man caves'. Pertinax used to have one where he could watch the world go by. Shelters could face the visitors, like this one, but provide some warmth and privacy. Mandrills, for instance, would need more than one because of dominance issues.

Benosaurus, gentle lemur and Pertinax like this.
  14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yoda, the zoo's bull giraffe, has died. He was found collapsed in the house early this morning :(

Giraffe death shocks zoo

15. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dreadful news!

16. Pertinax

They aren't having a lot of luck at present are they...

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Going from bad to worse :( I see they reduced admission prices today because the Giraffe and Elephant house is closed, the cats are off show due to the wind and the Brookside Aviary is closed for maintenance. A video in the Restaurant explains that there are a number of empty enclosures because of redevelopment.......

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. Pertinax

.....in which case expect Lego animals soon.

19. TriUK

So sad about Yoda. Could it be TB? I hope not! Really bad times for PZ. Securing the Komodo was great and maybe a real push on improving the bird & herp sections even more whilst they are restricted by the TB plan is sensible. Couldn't they strive forward with the proposed vulture aviary (walk through) and build a Kiwi house? I fear for my zoo at present, things don't feel good. ☹️

20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Paignton's latest Facebook post says that the other giraffes are doing well. I don't think that they would have said that if there were any chance that Yoda's unfortunate death was linked to TB. I am sure that the giraffes have been tested regularly with all the other animals that might be susceptible.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.