Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 6 Feb 2018.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

There are two brown eared pheasants (sticking my neck out with the ID here as there's no sign) in what was, until recently, the fish owl aviary. The mystery tanks mentioned above now have mesh lids.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Brown Eared used to live in the aviary where I believe the Marabou Storks now live. If I remember rightly, they shared with the Oriental White Stork and a breeding pair of Black-necked Swans.

Last edited by a moderator: 8 May 2018
    gentle lemur likes this.
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Quote:"The Brown Eared used to live in the aviary where I believe the Marabou Storks now live. If I remember rightly, they shared with the Oriental White Stork and a breeding pair of Black-necked Swans."

I thought I'd seen them before. They must have been lurking off-show somewhere since then.

FBBird and TriUK like this.
  5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

There's a pair of Lesser Adjutant storks in that aviary now. The Marabou are off-show behind the Avian Breeding Centre - you can sometimes get a glimpse from the path behind the tigers.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. FBBird

Do they still have two pairs of Marabou, or are they down to one pair? I imagine they would be concentrating on Lesser Adjutants?

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Just the one pair, I think. The Marabou were practice for the Lesser Adjutants and they in turn are practice for Greater Adjutants in the future.

bongorob and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. gentle lemur

I saw the brown-eared pheasants today. The fishing owl has been moved into the first parrot aviary (nearest the red pandas), replacing the green peafowl.
    I have a new theory about the 2 tanks in the former Tenrec House. The filters are creating considerable water movement and there is now vigorous aeration as well - which indicates that the inhabitants will be/are rheophilous (inhabiting fast flowing water). The tanks have gravel bases with a number of short lengths of tubing scattered across the bottom. If the thermofilters have their heating elements switched off, this might create good conditions for native white-clawed crayfish. The outdoor exhibit next to this house allegedly held this species and has now been emptied. I don't know if any crayfish were found when this happened, but if so, they may have been rehomed now.
    A few more observations: all the blue monitors are now on show, three in the Reptile Nursery and the fourth in Reptile Tropics. The Bicheno's finches (aka double-barred finches or owl finches) are back in the Desert House and the pileated gibbon pair were quietly and discreetly mating shortly after I arrived.

Crowthorne, Brum, FunkyGibbon and 4 others like this.
  9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The Wattled Cranes have been separated for the last few weeks, one in their enclosure and the other just next door. I don't know if it's the usual pair of if there's been a departure and arrival.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

You never know what you're going to find in the aviaries. Today there was a Spectacled Owl where the Australian Magpies used to be and the Magpies (well, only one of them, I think) had replaced the Duivenbode's Lories. They weren't in any of the nearby aviaries and I didn't get as far as the Avian Breeding Centre to look. There's still a Spectacled Owl next to the Snowy Owls.

11. gentle lemur

The main news is that the Peba's stubfoot toads have gone on show in the Amphibian Ark. There are 3 vivariums and I saw a total of five toads, but only one was clearly visible. I spotted it sitting on a branch, and took some wideangle photos around the displays.
    When I went back it had moved to a leaf and didn't move again for 6 hours (unless it regularly waited for me to leave, did a lap of the tank and then returned to the same spot before I came back). Unfortunately it kept its back turned throughout.
    Just visible in the Quarantine Room were a couple of Anatolian newts (Neurergus strauchii) next to the Lygosoma gecko units. I saw their label last week, but I glimpsed the newts for the first time today.
    The weather was so humid that the Crocodile Swamp was like a Turkish Bath*, but through the vapours I could see that the two male Tomistoma have been moved into the water lily pool. Last week one of the volunteers told me that Lima, the big female, has been keeping them out of 'her' pool in the main display. I was reminded that P G Wodehouse abbreviated Kipling's famous phrase by saying that 'the f of the s is more d than the m' ;)

* I have never been in a Turkish Bath, so this is guesswork - but it was quite unpleasant.

12. gentle lemur

A couple of pieces of news from my visit today. There is a baby howler monkey, which I just glimpsed on the mother's belly as she was climbing into the trees this morning. I looked again several times, but she was either very high or invisible in the foliage.
    The Tomistoma were all together again, but there were two large turtles in the former lily pond. I was told that they are alligator snappers and that they were only introduced today. I could not get a clear enough view to confirm this, but they are both certainly a good size for this species. I would not be surprised if there are fewer mbuna and guppies in this pool in a fortnight's time.

Bromeliad, FBBird and Gigit like this.
  13. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news about the Howlers.
    I noticed at the weekend that:
    - there was a lapwing in the area between the Tropical & Desert house.
    - the Mouse deer (& their signage) have gone (?) from Monkey Heights.
    - the python rock exhibit in Croc swamp now has a pile of wooden pallets stacked up - anyone know what this is all about?

Springbok likes this.
  14. gentle lemur

There was a lapwing in the Cottage Aviary and I presume that it is temporarily in that lobby area, like the other birds from that aviary which are distributed around the zoo. Incidentally, two workers were replacing parts of the new wooden framework of the Cottage Aviary, so it may a while before it is finished. I could also hear someone working below the visitors walkway in the Crocodile Swamp, as part of the refurbishment of the python exhibit and there were some tools lying around, but I don't know more than that. I agree about the mouse deer, I wonder if they have been moved to the Nocturnal House in Newquay.

15. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The snappers are a great addition but it's always surprised me that there are not crocs in the Lily pool - the 3 Dwarf African crocs, the other juvenile Cubans (X2) or another adult Cuban?
    Does anyone know what is held off-show?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anything definite now over their Cuban breeding program???
    Do they now have pure-bred paired up ... or is it still someway off?

17. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

They could only be moved if the bovine TB restrictions have been lifted.

gentle lemur likes this.
  18. FBBird

19. FBBird

Not convinced that you would find Crocodilians in the average Turkish bath, even benign fish-eating ones.

20. Bromeliad

Bromeliad Member

Komodo dragon I was told.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Jun 2018