Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Brum, 2 Jan 2020.

1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just seen on Facebook that Lucifer the Asiatic lion has passed away. :(

2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Oh no, so sad, was only having a chat about him the other day :( He must have been an old boy by now, he was at London a good time before his move to Paignton. Sending his keepers at Paignton, and his past keepers at London and Cotswolds, all condolences.

Edit: press release from the zoo. He was 17, so a very good age for a lion!

Zoo says good bye to Lucifer

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Sad about Lucifer, sadly there seems to be almost nothing but bad/sad news coming from Paignton lately. But never mind, all is well Lego animals are on the way! Who needs the real thing when kiddies are around?!

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  4. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After a disastrous couple of years at Paignton, what is on the cards for 2020?

A year for renewal, lots and lots of imports and lego!

My realistic and expected wish list:
    • Additions to the bongo herd (currently a lone female).
    • Retention of key staff.
    • A new herd of antelope to replace the Lechwe.
    • Takin to move to the barbary sheep/Tur quarry.
    • Import of Lar Gibbon to form breeding group.
    • Focus on sharing the zoo's vision and masterplan with members and local community.
    • Erection of Orang climbing poles.
    • Positive announcement of what will replace the elephant Duchess - White Rhino's or Giraffe extension? *I hope they don't fill that barn with lego!
    • New species to replace the King Colobus.
    My unrealistic wish list:
    • New nocturnal house to properly display the Kiwi and Loris.
    • Import of Greater Adjudant Storks.
    • Snow Leopards added to the quarry in the nature trail near the lemurs.
    • Serval to replace the cheetah.... and the cheetah moved to the current Rhea paddock.
    • Hamadryas baboons moved to one of the quarries or hillside fields.
    • Current baboon rock netted over to create a parrot aviary for the hyacinths and blue throated macaws.
    • Extension to the croc house to accomodate a male Komodo Dragon and use the adjoining lawn.
    • Mix the current Mangabey or Diana group with the Gorillas.
    Living Coasts:
    • New import of puffins.
    • Replace seals with sea otters.
    • Add a small bat colony to the rocky area near the last corridor before the shop.

Gigit, TNT, Brum and 1 other person like this.
  5. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

There is currently a breeding ban on Lar Gibbons, imposed by the studbook who will not allow the transfer of animals into breeding situations. Paignton could obtain one outside the studbook, but would be in breach of EAZA membership conditions...

6. TriUK

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I recall a short editorial piece from Simon Tongue where he talked about how when the Whitley W Trust first used the Lar Gibbon as its logo/symbol and housed them on the island they were not endangered in the wild. Now of course, they are classed as endangered. So Andrew, in your opinion, do you think Paignton will attempt to introduce a new species given that they have just built a rather large (for paignton) new house at the back of the island? Perhaps then move the current two animals to Orang island and mix?

7. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have no information on species other than Lar. It could well be that other spp of Gibbons are being treated differently, or (as has happened before) some zoos are treated differently to others...

TriUK likes this.
  8. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'll be going to Paignton Zoo for the first time that I have ever been there

TNT and TriUK like this.
  9. TriUK

Hope you enjoy it Jedd! It's a special place for me but its at its lowest ebb right now. Its looking pretty drab with a fair few empty spaces. However, we are all hopeful that things are on the up! The staff on the ground have had all sorts of bad luck and issues to deal with! Just ensure you go up and down every little path and be prepared to 'double-back' on yourself a few times!

Jedd Cullinan likes this.
  10. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We're actually replacing all staff and animals with lego, myself included! ;):p

pipaluk and FBBird like this.
  11. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’ve been out of the loop with Paignton news for some time. Apart from Duchess, can anyone elaborate further on this statement?

12. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Lost a lot of mammals to TB, no proceeding with the projected Savannah.....exported the Grey Gulls. That last bit really hurt, I liked them.

13. TriUK

Lost N Lechwe, Anoa, Swamp monkey, King Colobus, Tur, Barbary Sheep, Elephant, Grey Gibbon, Capybara, Fruit bat, porcupine, X 2 species of crocodile, G Lion Tamarin, Sloth among others....., there have been some replacements in the form of reptiles and birds, but generally the stock has been reduced due to TB and probably, some mis-management and bad luck.
    Don't worry though, there is heaps of Lego on the way....

14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

@TriUK - an interesting and imaginative list! It would certainly liven things up if some of your ideas were adopted. I'd really like to see Turs back in the quarry. It was fascinating watching them and we never got to see how big the dominant male's horns would grow. I think there may be horseshoe bats in the other quarry.
    @Panthera1981 - the Paignton Mammals thread shows how the mammal situation changed over 2019.

TriUK likes this.
  15. TNT

Don't forget the lovely new pair of Gentle Lemur! :)

TriUK likes this.
  16. TriUK

The Gentle Lemur are lovely and fit well in that former Lemur/Swamp Monkey exhibit.

However - the pace of re-stocking the zoo really does need to extend beyond these 'lovely lemurs' or members will, unfortunately, start to take out memberships at other competing attractions....

17. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh I will indeed. I'll be checking out the Black Rhino, Baboons and Orangutans also I'll make sure I go up and down every little path and be prepared to 'double-back' on myself a few times!

18. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the future holds for the sibling pear of Asiatic Lions as well as the Sumatran Tigers? Personally I think 2020 will see multiple movements with the species that I've mentioned I also feel that Paington will restart the breeding program for both of the mentioned species.

I would also like to see Paington acquire some female gorillas so for the first time in the history of Paington zoo they have a breeding group of Gorillas!

I read a few days ago that Paington has a new Zebra stallion can someone please identify him for me and give a brief summery of his history?

19. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Is Shakira the amazing Sumatran Tigeress still alive as if she is I think she would probably be the oldest Tiger in Europe.

20. TNT

I'm sure the zoo have lots of great things planned for the coming year, and then further on :)