Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Brum, 2 Jan 2020.

1. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Visited yesterday and was surprised at the amount of works and/ or improvements going on. I try to visit monthly, my last visit being late juanuary. February storms non stop and sadly couldn't visit. The refurbished Maned Wolf enclosure is progressing fast. The old enclosure was still up and untouched on my prior visit. Now all the trees are gone, the enclosure is almost twice as big, the off showing area looks like it will be incorporated into the whole enclosure now. Also it will be viewable from the main drive, rather than the back path which typically has lesser traffic. Never knew the Wolf house was as big as it is The trees were that dense. Only worry is the new fences are tall and deep sunk chain link, may make it harder to take photo's of the Wolves now - hopefully a viewing tower like by the tigers would be built? Signs up every explaining what it going on. Nice to see work going on the Maned Wolves. Up through to the old anoa enclosure has been looking drab and desperate for renovation for years and it is finally happening! Would love to see those nasty dreary enclosures go (Tapir/Ostrich) Miserable rusty bars and drab grey prison block like houses - I mean renovation, not completely removal of the species.

Takin of course moved to quarry. I far better location for them and a knew species coming soon to their old enclosure with signs explaining everything! At last after a rather depressing few years the Zoo looks like it is going up and up!

Brum, TNT, kiang and 1 other person like this.
  2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know if the Banteng and/or other imminent imports of stock have arrived yet and if there has been any movement out i.e. big cats/orangs?

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With current lockdown they won't be allowed to transport any animals.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

So how did a zoo in the UK receive two giraffes, after the supposed lock down and another some rather unique rodents?

Brum likes this.
  5. TriUK

Can you answer this FB Birdy?

6. FBBird

1/ I don't know
    2/ What rodents? Where?

7. FBBird

No

8. zoogiraffe

First one just as I suspected and the second wait and see but they are there just wait and see!

9. FBBird

That will teach me to express opinions on here. I thought we were supposed to share information rather than be unpleasant and teasing?

PAT, Penshet, oflory and 9 others like this.
  10. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

I am not sure that this is actually true. Zoos are not listed on any Government lists (yet) allowing or disallowing movement of staff, animals, services etc. Because of the obvious ambiguity I contacted the BBC (who did not answer or even acknowledge the email) our MP (who eventually did and said absolutely nothing, except we should use hand gel) and the local chief of police who sent out two officers, who verbally told us in their opinion it was so obvious that zoos could continue to 'care for their animals' it was not necessary to include them on any lists at all.

Today we were contacted by a German animal transporter soliciting their services, saying it was an ideal time to move zoo animals as the roads were so quiet. It appears that 'lock-down' means different things to different people.

Not sure this answers any questions, but...

Brum and pipaluk like this.
  11. FBBird

Ok, sorry everybody, I jumped to my conclusion from the idea of moving animals around (as opposed to their food and other requirements) being 'unnecessary activity'. I get the impression private animal keepers aren't transporting stuff. Thanks Andrew

12. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry - if someone wants to be unpleasant it says more about them than you.

I think while it is true that it is not technically forbidden - it is also true than in the main, it would not be in the spirit of social distancing / not making an unecessary journey. I'm sure there are exceptions but I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption to make.

FBBird likes this.
  13. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly and am not at all surprised by your conclusion/assumption - and am very surprised indeed that this is happening. The German email this morning was a shock to see and we will watch to see what happens as a result of it. We have moves waiting to Finland and from France, and have postponed them indefinitely without even considering transport possible. Most vet services are on hold and moves of staff and essential services are all we are allowing. Our core staff and regular volunteers are fit and well, but we have suspended all work experience and other volunteers, along with all non-essential contact. Personally, I would consider animal movements as not essential, even irresponsible; unless there was a welfare issue involved...

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In the case of the Giraffes, it seems they were actually received by Wingham before the Lockdown. The news was posted Friday last, before it started, and their facebook news for yesterday(?) said they had had them 'for several days'. As we all know, things were very different the previous week to this last one since the total lockdown took effect.

15. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

And I believe the rodent move (should it be the one that I’m thinking of) happened a few days before the official lockdown as well. So in this case the speculation was entirely justified.

Zia likes this.
  16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Actually, looking at it again I'm not sure which 'Friday' this news was first posted- last week or this...but Wingham's FB page still says they had had them several days, so still possibly they arrived before Monday, though maybe this lockdown has not yet (legally) affected animal movement anyway, I don't know.

FBBird likes this.
  17. FBBird

The rodent move I'm thinking of was a private collection?

18. TriUK

Apologies FBBird...., I’ve just looked back over this post and realised I wrote ‘Birdy’. That was a mistake, sorry.
    I agree that the lockdown now will present some issues with animal transportation but if they could co-ordinate it safely, the current closures to public & quiet roads also may afford opportunities that are normally barriers?

Benosaurus likes this.
  19. zoogiraffe

Yes a private collection did recently take delivery of some but this is a public collection with the same species!

20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Regarding the orangs, the zoo has posted a video of the two in question - Mali and Tatty - out on the island, so one can assume they haven't moved to Colchester. I think it's standard practice for keepers to accompany animals such as apes to their new homes to help them settle in. I can't see this being allowed at the moment.