Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Brum, 2 Jan 2020.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I assume that camels are on phase out at Paignton Zoo, but they will allow her to live out her latter years at the zoo. At the moment she being on exhibit also ensures the zoo does not have an empty exhibit lying foul (for the general public to get worked up about).

2. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

I hope that Paignton brings in a new bloodline of Camels. I would love it if they can start breeding once again.

The_melford_manatee likes this.
  3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to report that Carmel was back in her usual spot this morning. As I said before, it was something or nothing, and it turned out to be nothing. The 'something', as far as I was concerned, was that she had died, like zoo animals do for whatever reason. I often wonder if I'm seeing Pertinax (the gorilla, not the Zoochatter who remains as sprightly as ever!) for the last time when he's particularly showing his age. I used to think the same about Duchess. Being realistic, I think.

Crowthorne and TriUK like this.
  4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd have to check, but I think Pertinax is mature (and solitary, as many male gorillas are in the wild) rather than old......
    Just checked, he's pushing forty, but if cardiovascular stuff doesn't get him.....

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I think he has digestive problems, as well as long-standing (!) foot problems, but he's obviously well-cared for. It's just that sometimes he looks rather diminished.

6. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They do sometimes start to look diminished as they get older, like a lot of old people!

I sometimes think Pertie would be an ideal but shorter term candidate for London Zoo, he's much less volatile than a younger male would be and very unlikely to hurt the younger ones. But I'm sure they wouldn't consider him just on that score alone and his ailments probably rule him out too.. But 'PauPau' the new male at Apeneul that came from Taiwan some time ago now, is well into his thirties and is very quiet, there seems to have been none of the usual excitement/fisticuffs when introducing him to their females.

marmolady likes this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With the example of PauPau: Not sure that is a good thing. I have always been told by gorilla experts that if a gorilla silverback does not assert his authority on introduction to the troupe, well ... he just might be not that inclined to breed successfully. I keep my hopes up where Apenheul is concerned, but have not yet heard otherwise.

marmolady and Pertinax like this.
  9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

PauPau was obviously chosen and brought in because of his genetic unrepresentation but I think nowadays with the over-production of young gorillas in Europe, that breeding is perhaps no longer such a priority as previously. I agree about what you say about dominance, but I believe he does mate with some of them so babies may still follow. In London I think the presence of any silverback compared to none(as at present) would be preferable but they are obviously nervous of the consequences bringing in a fiesty fresh male while they still have youngsters( age 4& 5 ) in the group.

Last edited: 26 May 2020
  10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

You may be interested in this article from the Herald Express:
    Newspaper article about the zoo's history, 20 May 2020 - ZooChat
    Basically, it's all taken from the book Chimps, Champs and Elephants by Jack Baker. It mentions elephants walking from the railway station to the zoo in 1949. I would have thought it would be quite difficult for an elephant to escape from the middle of the zoo unnoticed!

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The zoo has announced the birth of a Howler Monkey three weeks ago (Facebook).

12. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Well this is good news - video on Facebook and Twitter :)

upload_2020-6-12_15-28-44.png

13. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good news! Amazing that a small in-furloughed team managed to do that work on top of all their other jobs - good on them! That will certainly make that area feel ‘nicer’ with some grass.
    I hope they can eventually hold more of these delightful animals. It’s always a pleasure to see him and I missed being so close to him his old exhibit.

14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Rajang21 likes this.
  15. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It’s now approaching a year since Duchess died. Does anyone know what the post mortem results were?

16. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

What does 'in-furloughed' mean? All through this we have been told that an employee is either furloughed or not. After many requests it was formally confirmed that furloughed staff could not volunteer for their employer or any other organisation linked to their employer. We have never come across the term 'in-furloughed' before.

17. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think that may be a misunderstanding on TriUKs part? None of the staff that are currently working have been furloughed... All have been given notice of the possibility of redundancy though. (As posted online).

18. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Are there any plans regarding departures or arrivals of Asiatic Lions for breeding purposes? I remember years ago Arya was supposed to move to another European holder of Asiatic Lions. Additionally is there any plans regarding the future of Luchu the lone surviving offspring of Shakira and Fabi the Sumatran Tigers.
    Any Gorilla moves or arrivals scheduled for the bachelor at or will they live in Paington Zoo for there entire lives.

Finally when will Duchess's former enclosure be refurbished and adapted to house the Tower of Rothschild Giraffe's that call Paington Zoo home.

19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Typo for un-furloughed?

TNT likes this.
  20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

You do realise that animal moves cost money, which currently Paignton don't have.

As for any developments they also cost money, which yet again Paignton don't have unless you have a spare couple of million I suspect it will be some time before it gets done.