Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Brum, 2 Jan 2020.

1. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Whilst that is quite logical, it would be interesting to see how such 'losses' would be justified to the general public/media....

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The odd disappearance just wouldn't be announced... At least two zoos I know that used to mix monkeys with gorillas discontinued it but afaik never said so publicly.

3. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Pertinax you also forget Kiri the twin brother of Kera at Bristol zoo if you don't remember Kiri tragically passed away aged 4 from a stomach infection

4. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Maybe by promoting the enriched lifestyle for both species in a mix?
    Obviously there's a PR tightrope to walk here.....

5. Andrew Swales

Mmmm... if there actually is any...
    Patas and Barbary Macaque is the latest attempt, apparently - albeit not at Paignton.
    I personally remain to be convinced...
    Indeed - an interesting challenge for the marketing and p/r department...!

6. FBBird

I've heard anecdotally of Mangabeys and Gorillas playing happily together (at Gaia maybe?) but not seen it personally. I take the point about mixed exhibits, and certainly there has been hideous waste of life in mixes of hoofstock with cranes/storks. Also some places have mixed Callitrichids with small birds, which is likely to lead to predation.
    Mixing zebras with anything can create issues.....
    The only safe group is one animal in a padded cell, and then it'll eat the padding and die:)

7. Andrew Swales

There are plenty of anecdotes, plenty of positive papers written (which often stop before the problems started, to save putting these in print?) and the full detail of any attempt is often only available 'pers comm' - as Clinton Keeling would have put it.
    Yes - 'dumping' pinioned birds into an African diorama, just to make an exhibit, is something which should have only ever have been done with plastic models on a childs toy play set.
    Mixing zebras with zebras can create issues...

FBBird and Pertinax like this.
  8. Pertinax

Yes, Kiri came with the current young males, I was really just listing the previous ones that have all left, but included Pertinax as he was one of the earliest.

9. FBBird

Yep, all of that.
    I've known zebra mares kill each other, and of course they will hunt and kill baby antelopes -- and anything else they take a notion to go after.

10. Pertinax

From comments made on here, it doesn't sound like it bodes too well...

FBBird likes this.
  11. Pertinax

Yes, Gaia have Black Mangabeys with Gorillas. You often see video of the young of both species playing or a Mangabey grooming a gorilla. Arnhem has golden-bellied Mangabeys with theirs. I don't know if there is a downside in either case.

Howletts a long while back had Samango monkeys and Spot-nosed(?) Guenons in a couple of their gorilla groups. The spot-noses 'disappeared' and the Samangos were later seperated out. Port Lympne at one time had a lone Colobus temporarily housed with a single gorilla male- the gorilla killed it. Bristol had De Brazzas with their gorillas for a short while. They were then removed but why I don't know- it may have been species related, or some other reason. Valencia even had rare(in zoos) Hamyln's monkeys with their gorillas- again I think it has been discontinued.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2020
    FBBird and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. FBBird

I wonder if Apenheul still have the Gorilla/Patas mix?

13. Andrew Swales

A disgraceful 'waste' of the Spot-noses - and ethically undefensible.
    To suggest that a 'padded cell' is the alternative to this 'enrichment', is flippant.
    One mans enrichment, is another mans being ripped to pieces...
    It is too much of a co-incidence that these experiments, are too often suddenly and quietly discontinued.

14. Pertinax

That's pretty much it in a nutshell...

15. Andrew Swales

They did when I was last there, but that was decade(s) ago, on a huge (5 acre? - or has my memory enlarged it?) moated island in the very centre of the park...

16. Pertinax

I am not sure- it was down to maybe a single Patas at one stage, I don't know the situation now.

17. Pertinax

No the island is pretty big, and nicely wooded.

18. FBBird

Couldn't agree more. Apologies if my use of the padded cell analogy caused offence. It certainly wasn't a serious suggestion, just that there's a fine line sometimes between enrichment and hazard -- and many mixed exhibits result in squandered animals:)

TriUK likes this.
  19. Pertinax

....which is why I said I'd prefer not to see Paignton attempt mixing their very small Diana or Mangabey groups on the Gorilla island. Currently there isn't any suggestion that they plan to though.

FBBird, TriUK, pipaluk and 1 other person like this.
  20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I quite agree that this is not a very sensible suggestion. If the animals were mixed while the gorillas were relatively young, there might be a better chance of success, but I can't think that the group of silverbacks would get much benefit and the monkeys would clearly be in danger. In addition it would be an expensive proposition as a lot of work would be needed to fell trees and dredge the channel at the west end of the island (which is separated from the gorilla's area by an electric fence) and to build night quarters for the monkeys.

TriUK and Kifaru Bwana like this.