Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Brum, 2 Jan 2020.

1. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To my surprise, Brazilian guinea pig have been reintroduced to the Desert house.

pipaluk and TriUK like this.
  2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Just remembered I was going to reply to this - mixing gibbons with the orangs. Plans to mix gibbons from Naomi's (grey gibbon) old house were thwarted because of problems with access from the house to the island - they couldn't think of a way of stopping the orangs from using the same route. They managed to mix Naomi with the fairly tolerant Gambira by moving her into the ape house but, with the current orang situation, I wouldn't think there was room there for two gibbons as well. They'd probably find the islands a bit disappointing after being on theirs all their lives.

TriUK likes this.
  3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Possibly from Exmoor?

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Or Newquay?

TNT and Rajang21 like this.
  5. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The desert house is superb at the moment - Thick knee, G Roadrunner, Tinamou, numerous parrots and wild budgies - it really is excellent!

migdog likes this.
  6. FBBird

I wasn't aware Newquay had them? If so, they would be a relatively recent addition. Exmoor had a lot last time I visited.

7. pipaluk

I'm not sure how long Newquay have had them, but they were there when I visited for the first time last July.

8. FBBird

I went earlier in the year than that. Where in the zoo were they?
    I just have an idea they might have been in the Farm?

9. pipaluk

Yes they were in the farm area

TNT likes this.
  10. FBBird

In that case they were there when I went -- I didn't really register them, as I was focussing on birds within a limited time frame.

11. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've seen Guinea pigs in Paignton's Desert House previously but were they genuine wild-type, or just pure-breeding self-coloured Agouti of the domestic type?

12. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me what Paignton Zoo plan to do with the sibling pair of Asiatic Lions, Yali (brother) and Arya (sister),now that their dad Lucifer has passed away?.

Also with the all female heard of Rothschild Giraffe do Paignton intend on introducing a new male during 2020 to replace the previous male Yoda who collapsed and died two and a half years ago.

As your all probably awere of due to the Bovine TB outbreak that deverstated the zoo for over two years the zoo was unable to move animals in and out. This resulted in Paignton having to retain many critically endangered animals of breeding age,this included Lucu the Sumartrain Tiger offspring of Fabi and Shakira. This leads me to ask whether Luchu will depart for pastures new this year? In my opinion the departure Of Luchu as well as the juggling of the sibling Asiatic Lions is vital for the future of their respective species. Furthermore due to the age of Luchus mum Shakira I can imagine that her death is iniment due to this I think my previous statement regarding Luchus departure could be obsolete as I believe it would make far more sense to relocate Fabi and source a new younger Tigeress to become Luchus mate/breeding partner.

Can you as my fellow Zoochatters please read my post and tell me your theories and opinions on the points that I have raised!

Kind regards from The Hedgehog

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Just a week ago, when announcing Lucifer's death, the zoo said staff are in discussions with the EEP about what happens next with this species.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. The Hedgehog

I really hope that Paington Zoo kickstarts their Asiatic Lion breeding program again. Asiatic Lions are critically endangered and every single cub born counts. I think Paington should keep Yali or Arya then source the opposite sex to breed with the remaining Lion.

15. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is one of the new specimens, which I am sure is wild-type: probably Cavia aperea.
    The ones previously in the Desert House looked like domestic guinea pigs. Image from 2011.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2020
  16. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not that it's the most reliable source, and it may well be referencing your post here, but ZTL does have them down as C. aperea. They do look to be more svelte and gracile compared to true domestics. How outgoing were they?

17. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, from these photos the previous ones were clearly domestic- rounded head, floppy ears, gingerish colour in the agouti coat pattern and heavier body. The current wild-type ones are much more 'racy'-looking. I saw the ones at Exmoor last summer and noted the difference then also.

18. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, Brazilian, as at Newquay.

19. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had it confirmed yesterday that the plan (during the next 12 months) is to move the giraffe herd next door into the elephant paddock and move the zebra over to the current giraffe area. This will take time and money, not least to move the giraffe specific equipment. It was also confirmed a new male giraffe will arrive this year.

Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  20. The Hedgehog

TriUK this is existing news I can't believe that the zoo plans to have all this work as well as the arrival of a male done by the end of the year!