Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Brum, 2 Jan 2020.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So many species disappear from both public and private collections due to interest wearing off. I'm now going to have to google Sanford's Lemur to find out what one looks like....

Last edited: 19 Jan 2020
    TNT likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think it was an Orangutan in Apenheul...

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

One of the biggest and most frustrating "species we have lost in captivity" stories in recent decades - and not just because I've seen all the other Eulemur taxa and it would have been nice to complete the "set" :p

I seem to recall you once told me that the implant also caused weight-related health problems for the lemurs, which is another problematic factor that I believe is quite common with the use of such methods.

4. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

We could have so easily established it, too!

Absolutely, on the second point. I am pretty sure one of our pairs is on the gallery here. It shows an obese female and a male in nice condition, obviously on exactly the same diet and management. The picture I recall was taken many years later, well after any effects of the contraceptive implants should have long worn off.

cliffxdavis likes this.
  6. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does management euthanasia count?

I see that that almost every country has this one "overly friendly" male Orangutan. :D

Yeah just look at the gorilla females in Prague...

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You'd hope so, but there's bound to be at least one example of a male animal somehow getting the job done post-mortem :p

8. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well in that case, you can always do it with the offspring as well, once they grow up...(or you don't even have to wai...)

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

There was some serious tree felling going on in the maned wolves enclosures today - the adjoining one that was used for the male wolves recently seems to have been opened up. The mandrills, the next enclosure along, had all the large shrubs around it cut down last week. I assumed this was to enable the erection of anti-badger fences but now I'm not so sure.

Kifaru Bwana and TNT like this.
  10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yesterday both maned wolf enclosures seemed to be clear-felled. Just a few stumps, the brick shelters and the wired-off strip with the shed were left. The mandrill outdoor area looks awfully exposed now too. I agree that it could just be preliminary work for re-fencing or there could be bigger changes planned. Perhaps when the spider monkeys move to Monkey Heights, their exhibit could be developed for the mandrills.
    Whatever is due to happen, lets hope it can get sorted in a few months: it would be awful to have that area empty when things get busy in the summer because it's right in the middle of the zoo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Well, they've got to put the 80 or so Lego animals somewhere! To be less flippant, it did look very bleak this morning with work still going on right up to the mandrill house. They seemed a bit agitated by all the noise although the rhinos didn't seem bothered, which surprised me as all visitors to the rhino house after Zuri's birth were warned to be deathly quiet.
    The flamingos were moved to the Adjutant stork enclosure this morning to allow tree felling around their island. One flew straight at us and crashed into the fence, but got up and returned to the flock at the back of the enclosure.
    Some sort of very smelly compost was being spread around the zoo gardens. All in all, probably not a good day for a first time visitor.

PS - And where are the maned wolves?

Last edited: 5 Feb 2020
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Kifaru Bwana and Brum like this.
  14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

This has now been changed to closure on Tuesday 11 February because of Monday's weather forecast.

15. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Speaking of that, I've also checked the Paignton Zoo website and noticed that the Maned wolf have been completely removed from the listing, does anyone know if these may have gone to another zoo (Exmoor presumably?)

16. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

I doubt Exmoor will have them - they already have a uncle and nephew pair on display. I heard that some maned wolves were in the Cheetahs off show area? Hopefully they are just off show whilst work is done in/around their enclosure. Or they could of left the collection, another species gone to be replaced by lego animals no doubt:rolleyes:

17. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Could the Cheetah and Maned Wolves be switching enclosures? After all, there has been no successful breeding from the Cheetah and the wolf area is flat and could be extended? Otherwise, I think the cheetahs will be leaving the collection in the near future.....

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It's a shame they don't put up explanatory signs, especially when there's so much work going on.

TriUK likes this.
  19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Lego animals - make a note in your diaries: 'There will be special safari nights for over 18s, so that grown up fans of Lego bricks can enjoy the amazing models without children running around.'

Cassidy Casuar and Chlidonias like this.
  20. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What a fantastic idea!
    It's made me think: perhaps one day, there will be special safari nights for over 18s, so that grown up fans of animals can enjoy the amazing creatures without children running around.

Mo Hassan, pipaluk, Tim May and 6 others like this.