Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo Gibbons

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriGB, 27 Feb 2010.

Tags:
  1. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

I am proud of my zoo (Paignton) and I'm supportive of everything they do, however, there are some things I do not get!
    Can anyone out there help me with a few questions re. Paignton's primate policy and future plans?
    1) Why have the two gibbons (1 Lar/1 grey?) at the end of Orang -Utan Island been couped up in that small holding enclosure for so long? I have seen successful mixings with Orangs at other collections and I understand that there may have been husbandry, building and quarantine issues....but why so long to release them? Their total sq. metres of enclosure appears smaller than the old monkey house (pre-Monkey Heights)!
    2) Why are some species kept in two's (Ark fashion) when I see the same species in other collections kept in groups? i.e. Howler Monkeys, Allen's Swamp Monkeys.
    3) Where will the new Hamadryas Baboon enclosure be built? The Barbary Sheep enclosure or the rodents area?
    4) Why is Lemur Wood so inconsistent? i.e. It can be a world class immersion exhibit, but at times it can be a real disappointment (lemurs kept in house and reduced stock).
    5) Could the Abbysian Colobus be mixed with the Batchelor Gorilla group, or the Diana Monkeys be mixed with the Colobus?
    6) What is the 'master-plan' for the Geoldi monkeys, Pied Tamarins and [new] mangabey's?
    Cheers

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The gibbons is probably due to the fact they are both singletons and new additions from within EU are difficult as not available. More in situ involvement and perhaps absorption of some of those in exchange for conservation funding for rehab and reforestation?

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. I don't know about the Howlers, but Allen's Swamp Monkey are very rare in zoos and it is difficult to source new animals. (a 2nd female may be coming from America)

3. I believe this is to be on the site of the Small Mammal House(or thereabouts)

5. Colobus could be mixed with Gorillas. Diana/Colobus mix would probably not work in existing enclosures.(Port Lympne do mix Colobus & De Brazzas successfully but their enclosure is much bigger/natural)

6. Can't answer for Goeldi's or Tamarins, but last I knew the Mangabeys will either go into Monkey Heights or be mixed with Gorillas.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2010