Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2011

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 12 Jan 2011.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Interesting! I haven't seen that sign :eek: I overheard a keeper telling someone that it was blind but would be allowed to live out its life here...... Maybe I should stop eavesdropping!

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

3. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Glad they finally came into red necked ostrich. :)

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

According to ISIS, Paignton hold 1:0 Acinonyx jubatus jubatus

and 0:1 Acinonyx jubatus

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Ever thought they may have up-dated the information for Paignton on ISIS hence the change?

7. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder if they did breed cheetahs but the cubs did not survive ?

8. zoogiraffe

Does any body know if the Phillipine Crocodiles from Chester Zoo have gone on display at Paignton yet or are they hiding them in the off-show Croc complex?

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I went into Croc Swamp this week and it appeared to be as normal, with Cuban, Nile and Saltwater crocs labelled. I know next to nothing about crocodiles however......

10. zoogiraffe

You would know if you had seen them as they are not as big or as impressive as any of the other species,kept at Paignton.

Thanks any way just thought I would ask.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2011
  11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The first baby was originally sexed as male and appeared in the ISIS listings as such (2.3) but it was recently changed to 1.4. They now have 2.4. Both babies being born to the same female- the only breeding one in the group currently.

In one of the links I see the female is referred to with that horrid word 'mom':mad: Why, we aren't Americans!!!:rolleyes:

14. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

These Mangabeys from Newquay replaced the ageing male group of Abyssinian Colobus. Are this beautiful species of Colobus now established i.e. is the world zoo population secure/at a point where the gene pool is secure for eventual re-introduction if needed? It's just that the original plan was to mix either the King or the Abyssinian Colobus with the Diana's and have a small South American mixed exhibit along there? The original plans also had eventual access to Duiker/Dik-Dik pens that would be shared with the monkeys but I guess the failed Macaque/Anoa mixings has put them off? Does anyone else think that although Monkey Heights is a massive improvement on the old menagerie type cells they had before, the big trees are wasted and should offer the inhabitants more than merely shade?

15. Pertinax

When I first saw this exhibit I was surprised at how they had incorporated the big Plane trees (which are on the site of an old ungulate/zebra paddock) but the monkeys couldn't use them and have only climbing frames etc positioned underneath.

I realise if they were given access to them that; a. the Monkeys would soon wreck the foliage b. they would quickly escape unless the branches were cut back very severely and c. the trees probably have preservation orders on them.

However, building these enclosures around these trees and having them hotwired seems to highlight the fact the monkeys can't use them. I think I would have built the Monkey enclosures elsewhere in the zoo where there are chunks of woodland, so that they could access some trees in the exhibits.

I think the male Colobus started to die off and were pretty inactive as an exhibit(though in the old House they were part of a thriving breeding group.) The Mangabeys are a much better show and I hope they are allowed to form a decent-sized group with them.

16. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess the plane trees do 'overlap' but I agree, there is so much woodland between and above the Barbary Sheep, Cheetah and Ape complex that could be used, not to mention the Emu/Peacock paddock adjacent to the owls and Baboons!
    The Mangabeys are great and I too hope they are allowed to populate.
    Is there still a 'hold' on Mandrill breeding?
    Anyone know of any movement on the planned Binturong and/or new Baboon complex and Lemur imports for the walk-through?

17. Pertinax

That is the general area I would have sited enclosures for the Monkeys in.

Not sure if they have actually stopped them breeding, but I think there is only one 'breedable' female Mandrill now and she may be too young- the other is a social outcast (was handreared).

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

There is only one female now - Makemba born 2005, Brutusz x Missie. The handreared female died last year sadly, as did Brutusz. There are two males - Jumanji, born in France in 2003, and his half-brother Akello, born 2005. They had the same mother (not Missie); Brutusz was Akello's father. I believe Makemba has a contraceptive implant.

19. zelda

zelda Well-Known Member

I think the area above the Barbary Sheep, Cheetah and Ape complex is set aside for native species and is kept as a carefully managed grassland. The last thing they want is to build on it, let it be destroyed by monkeys and then trampled on by visitors. They would also lose the ability to collect browse from that area for all of the zoo animals.

20. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Fair play! That's a sensible and reasonable explanation of why the woodland above the cheetahs and giraffe/ele house has been left. Therefore, other than converting existing ratite paddocks and using intermittent woodland near the Cassowarys and displacing the picnic areas, there is no room for expansion (as they'd never consider the nature walk area south of the lemur walkthrough)?
    Without sounding morbid, what will they do with the Elephant paddock?