Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2011

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 12 Jan 2011.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

A couple of comments on the above posts:

The areas above the cheetahs and beyond the lemurs are ecologically important - rare limestone grassland, ancient woodland and Horseshoe Bat habitat.

I've been looking through my collection of Annual Reports and Zoo News and it appears that it was never the intention for monkeys to access the plane trees in Monkey Heights. A description of the plans says that 'the raised walkway will take visitors through the tree canopies - high level climbing frames will bring the monkeys right up to eye level.' Some of the climbing frames are currently being replaced and it will be interesting to see the outcome.

I've heard various rumours about the elephant house but they are just rumours. Plans have a habit of being changed. I've just read about those for the Australian walk-through exhibit (kangaroos and emu) in 2003: 'it is planned to extend the footpath later in the year to the very top of the zebra paddock, where the view across the zoo is stunning. It will terminate with a small mammal exhibit and a refreshment kiosk.' Maybe the residents at the top of the hill objected as the path has never been extended. I can vouch for the view having watched the solar eclipse from the zebra paddock in 1999 :cool:

The last I heard on the Baboons was that instead of a new enclosure, the present enclosure and cages behind it would be revamped.

I imagine the current financial climate will put a halt to/delay any major developments.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Someone had a good imagination then.;) the reality doesn't quite live up to the concept. The presence of the Plane Trees is something of a disadvantage, in that it restricts the amount/height of climbing equipment -as the Monkeys have to be prevented from getting into the trees.

3. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

Just an up date on this,The 2 groups are in the throws of being mixed but Milo the Colobus escapee :eek:spent most of tuesday up the said tree in the enclosure he returned on weds morning just about to post picture.

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Lemur Wood

The lone female Red Ruffed Lemur has moved and a sign on the enclosure says that Ring Tailed Lemurs are arriving soon.

5. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

Tac is of show with her new finally arrived Male she must be in a state of shock after spending so much time on her own.:eek::D

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope they will attempt to breed one of the more colourful and sadly under threat spp. from Madagascar.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Assorted News

After only 75 years since it was first mooted, a bypass is finally going to be built at Kingskerswell between Newton Abbot and Torbay. So from December 2015, visitors heading for the Zoo won't have to spend ages stuck in traffic jams :):) Also, the junction at Tweenaway, just before you reach the zoo, was revamped this year and is no longer a bottleneck.

The Red River Hog sign states that the male, Pablo, died in November. There are now 6 females - Pumbaa and her two daughters, born in August, and the three sisters from Woburn.

The orangutans are enjoying some lovely new enrichment in their showden. The keepers have been busy putting up a variety of hoses, barrels, logs, hammocks, netting etc, all designed to encourage the orangs to climb :)

10. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Why anyone would go that way is beyond me, i always stay on the A38 to Buckfastleigh then come through Totnes. Much, Much Quicker.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yes, it can be quicker but not always in the high season. I nearly had a nervous breakdown in August taking my son from Paignton to Totnes to catch his train home, which he did with about 30 seconds to spare. This new road will help stop the feeling we get in the summer that we are trapped in Torbay!

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Or would-be visitors to Paignton Zoo feeling they will never get there....;)

Incidentally, what have they done to the infamous Traffic Lights/Junction near the zoo,('the last hurdle') which you also mentioned?

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The junction and approach roads have all been widened and there are right turn, left turn and straight ahead lanes. All the turmoil we endured during the building works was worth it!

14. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

15. Jordan-Jaguar97

Gigit, the curator of Paignton has said that the move is still taking place.

16. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Paignton's middle management is notoriously slow to act. They take a long time to make a decision and appear 'anally stubborn' to the suggestions of regular members and people who are qualified in zoo husbandry. Though they are very experienced and genuinely have the welfare of their animals as a priority, change is laboured at this wonderful collection. Examples are: Barbary Sheep enclosure (mixing with Takin), Orang and Gibbon mixing, Gorilla and Colobus or Mangabey mixing, Australasian paddock, Lemur wood etc. Other good UK zoos seem to get things done, up and running and without any fuss whilst continuing to communicate with their customers - why can't it be done in S.Devon? Of course, it could be higher management that continually hold things up or for that matter the local council? I just see Colchester, Edinburgh, Marwell and Dublin (non-Uk I appreciate) just getting on with it and moving at a faster pace, not just with big-money projects, but just with the small stuff. I am sure you will tell me if I'm off the mark here but its just my perception?

17. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

Banda and Tenang are back in the same enclosure again Tenang spends most of the time pacing by the fence near visitors and Banda looks on in the lean too. She is a lot happier and relaxed. Breeding is not on the agenda. No need to go into details................
    Lots of young uns in monkey heights............Little mac's a plenty.:D

18. Jordan-Jaguar97

Interesting, thanks for the update kkkp.

19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I didn't raise this!

Four Ring Tailed Lemurs have moved into what was the Red Ruffed Lemur house.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So just to clarify that Paignton are intending to hold onto both Banda and Tenang in a non breeding situation for the time being? :confused: