Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 4 Jan 2013.

Tags:
  1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Time to open the 2013 thread.

The White-nosed Coati can now be found in the Brown Spider Monkey House.

I had my third sighting of the False Gavial in Croc Swamp this week - again it was on the side of the pool under the area housing various snakes and the two monitor lizards. So if you're going there, that's the place to look first.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Both very interesting bits of information, which I will have to bear in mind for my upcoming visit on the 27th January considering the fact that both are new species for me.

Of course, my number one hope is to see the echidna, but this is a very luck-based race against time considering the age of the individual, and the fact it is likely in a semi-hibernatory state at this time of year.

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

You may be lucky with the echidna as it is mild here at the moment. I have to confess that it does nothing for me so I didn't investigate when people were leaning over the wall of its enclosure on Wednesday - but they must have been watching it. The Coati is now a close neighbour so your walk up the hill will not be in vain!

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In my limited experience the echidna is most likely to be active in mid-afternoon or later. I'd recommend that the last enclosure to check before leaving should be the tenrecs (between the crested macaques and the amphibians).

Alan

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

1. Has 'Kumbuka' left for ZSL London yet? There was a hold up and he was due to leave in August 2012 but hasn't.:confused:

2. Is there any indication when/if 'Banda' the Sumatran Tigeress is leaving soon? Originally she was due to leave after all her cubs left but the last left in July 2011 and Banda is still at Paignton.:confused:

6. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Whaaa....?

It's an echidna - a spiny, pig-nosed, mole-eyed, egg-laying, ant-eating clockwork toy! How can you not love it? :p

7. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Maguari! I went in 2010 and completely forgot about the Echidna until I saw the signage for it, however I didn't see it.

8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This particular Echidna is entertaining, complete contrast to the ones they used to have @ Bristol, which were indoors and I never caught them doing anything.

9. TeaLovingDave

If I'm not mistaken, it *is* one of the ex-Bristol animals - hence it being at quite an advanced age!

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Never seen it lay eggs or eat ants, it just shuffles along the same track or lies anonymously under the heat lamp ;) Seen one, seen 'em all :D

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Kumbuka was still here on Wednesday....:(

The sign saying Banda is leaving is written in Latin....

;)

12. FBBird

Anybody know how old that Echidna is? I too have not seen it eat an ant or lay an egg, but the other stuff is pretty good; more fun than a Koala or one of those black & white bear things.

13. TeaLovingDave

As I alluded earlier, it arrived from Bristol Zoo in 1994 along with the individual which died a few years ago, and both had been at Bristol for some time previously - so it is certainly older than twenty, possibly even thirty.

As far as life expectancy goes, I know long-beaked echidna have been known to live upwards of 30 years, but I don't know equivalent figures for short-beaked.

14. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There are records of Tachyglossus living for nearly 50 years.

One lived 48 years 9 months in Prague; another 49 years 5 months in Philadelphia.

And one individual was still alive in January 2005 after living at San Diego for 48 years 5 months.

Reference: Longevity of Mammals in Captivity: From the Living Collections of the World (Richard Weigl; 2005)

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

also note that all those individuals were wild-caught as adults, so were actually at least a couple of years older than those ages when they died.

16. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

You're talking my language Gigit. Ignore this little enclave completely and continue up the hill to find some really interesting animals (clue - they have hooked bills and zygodactyl toes) :D.

17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agree entirely, always the highlight of a trip to Paignton! :p

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

As a public service, I visited the Echidna today and took a photo of it doing one of its favourite things - lying under the heat lamp.

http://www.zoochat.com/62/echidna-9-january-2013-a-304090/

I also popped into Croc Swamp to see the False Gavial. It was in the same spot as last week with just its tail showing, so not worth a photo.

19. FBBird

Nice to see it's still enjoying life.

20. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I presume it IS still alive - despite its lack of movement!