Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 4 Jan 2013.

Tags:
  1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

A new pair is good news, especially for a zoo with a gibbon as their emblem.

2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I own some books :D

3. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Visited Paignton Today (Dec 11th)

Work still going on by the swamp monkeys house. However The house has been boarded up front, but through the rear window I could see a primate in there, glass was misty so wasn't sure if it was a swamp monkey.

The hub is going to have Invertebrates - Doesn't say what ones though.

Work still going on the old small house/winter quaters land.

A new Maned Wolf. Smolis the male was out and about in the middle of the afternoon and I could just see another Maned Wolf walking around in an off show enclosure between the Mandrills and Maned Wolf enclosures. Not sure if they plan to introduce it with Smolis, he was aware of it's presence but there was no fighting or aggression through the fence. It must be a female, for surely a male would fight with Smolis and I'm sure they wouldn't keep it off show until Smolis passes, even though he is quite old (12yrs old in january).

Cheetah wise. In September the newly arrived female Isantya and Kasai were in the main enclosure together. However I have not seen Kasai since then, only Isantya. Not sure if Kasai has passed,gone to another zoo or off show. I know female Cheetahs can be fussy with there mates. But in September they both seemed to be leaving other alone.

Not sure if anybody on here has any info on Kasai or the new Maned Wolf (gender/age/were it's from/plans etc)?

Oh and the adoption board for the Emu's/Kangaroos is still out of order...

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I have had a good view of the occupant - a female Pileated Gibbon. As mentioned elsewhere, she's from Zoo d'Asson. There's a new male in the gibbon house by the railway station.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news and hopefully more to come in future!

6. TriDV

TriDV Well-Known Member

Rodent City move

I've just been on the zoos Facebook page and seen an image of a meerkat on the old penguin rock under the 'bat tree'! Am I correct in thinking then that 'rodent city' was demolished when the old small mammal house was flattened? If so, are the porcupine in there too and where have the Agouti's been placed?

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yes, the Meerkats and Porcupine(s?) moved to the outdoor bat enclosure when their home was demolished. The Agouti have moved in with the Pudu.

8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I noticed yesterday that the sign saying 'Sarus Crane' has gone, as has the Crane. It's been replaced by a Wattled Crane, so there are now two again, but separated.

9. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Lions

Lioness, Indu, has had two teeth extracted:

Paignton zoo lion has teeth extracted | Torquay Herald Express

On the subject of lions, a tree came down in their enclosure this week. Fortunately, it didn't fall towards the fence, or on to the lions. The noise scared the gibbons and waterfowl on the lake, and also made me jump :eek: