Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 4 Jan 2013.

Tags:
  1. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Eventually, but with my SLR photographs I always post them by scanning the prints and the Tur are on my second card so it will be several weeks yet! Maybe Gigit, as the most regular Paignton photographer, will post some first.

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Bit of a laborious process that - you print off your pictures, which are presumably on a card readable by your computer, then scan the prints into your computer again; surely there will be loss of image quality?

3. Parrotsandrew

I have them printed off by a well known high street store (possibly with a connection with Nottingham) and then look through them for ones to scan and post. I find it quicker doing it like that (once I have the pictures to hand of course) as the scanned photos are so much easier to post and I think it would take the computer ages to read the card in the first place. The photos look all right to me other than for the appearance of the odd line. I post photos from my small camera straight from the computer (I have all of them printed too though), hence the new avatar (my friend Chucky at Paignton and I last Friday).

4. TriDV

TriDV Well-Known Member

This is the area of the proposed Hamadryas Baboon exhibit. It was going to cover the whole area i.e. winter quarters down to the edge of the Ranch kiddies farm. Money was raised and collected but initial funding targets were not reached. Following some losses at the gate during previous seasons the project was postponed. Does it look likely then that a new Baboon enclosure is on its way?

The current Baboon area was then going to be rebuilt landscaped as a Himalayan themed area. Not sure on species (Red Panda, Pheasant, mountain goat...).

Sooner or later they are going to have to address the Anoa and Tapir/capybara issue - i.e. their respective enclosures will be next in line for demolition.

If anyone knows, could you please post the plans?

5. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry to go off topic, what type of camera do you have? My Canon came with software that takes the photos off really easily. Saves so much time.

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Don't know if it has been reported here, but the zoo recently lost its long time Curator of Plants And Gardens to Bicton College. Kevin Frediani was a brilliant zoo horticulturist, very forward thinking. I expect he will be missed at the zoo but the college will benefit

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

He's done a wonderful job. The zoo has been looking fabulous this year.

8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Hartmann's Mountain Zebra

The two male foals born last year, Zac & Zola, have moved to Landau, Germany.

9. Parrotsandrew

Mine is a Canon. This afternoon at Filey Bird Garden I have been assured that it should not take too long to transfer the photos from my first card (c 1700 images) to the computer and the second card has only half that capacity, so I may try it with that one - possibly! Scanned photos do take much less time to upload to the site though.

10. Parrotsandrew

Save the Avenue Yards!!!! Proper zoo accommodation with a proper name!

11. Johnny Morris.

Johnny Morris. Well-Known Member

Is that the Tapir/Capybara area? It's the ugliest part of the zoo, and it's removal will only improve the zoo.

12. Parrotsandrew

I just want to preserve some of the history of the place - so much of the zoo is new/relatively new. This area may not be pretty, but the impression I get is that it still serves its purpose from the husbandry point of view.

13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Paignton....

Agree with ParrotsA. There could be a case for keeping this area with appropriate signage. I'm still mourning the old Tropical & Sub-tropical Houses. Nice to see the Cottage Aviary is still with us (or was when I last looked). Fine as the 'new' zoo, is, it would be nice to retain the historical perspective of some of Herbert Whitley's buildings.

14. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The risk with that strategy is that it may end up in a London-Dudley style listed building fiasco. I prefer the Mottershead strategy, build big but cheap and be ready to demolish when something better can be built.

Alan

15. FBBird

Whitley's buildings were soundly designed, and useful animal housing, unlike some of the stuff at Dudley, & the Casson building at London Zoo, which was a rotten elephant house from start to finish.

16. TriDV

TriDV Well-Known Member

Paigntons original Elephant and Rhino housing was pretty 'rotten' if you recall!
    The Tapir, Anoa (ex Bison), Capybara (& winter Ostrich) housing is all in the way of a future open plan savannah exhibit and is mostly defunct anyway as the grass wears down too easily which leads to the tapir in particular being kept predominantly on hard standing. Remember that Paignton went with the habitat biome theory - Wetland, forest, tropical, savannah etc.

17. FBBird

Agreed. However, I quite like the Baboon Rock, and was inspired by the old Tropical and Subtropical Houses.
    Chester's approach is undoubtedly best.

18. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Visited the Zoo today (9th October) a few things going on...

Small Mammal house is now almost completely gone, only the base/foundations remain surrounding vegetation has been cleared. It
    looks a lot bigger now. Not sure what they will do with the space.. New exhibits or grass area?

The swamp monkeys have been removed from their house, ground work is occuring by their house and the Gorillas. Orang utans locked in house whilst island receives essential maintainence - not sure what they mean by that. All the work was happening down on the Gorillas side/by Swamp Monkeys house.

Emu/Kangaroo adoption board is still out of order as well!

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can you reveal what plans exist for this part of the savannah?

What will happen to the animals involved in losing house?

20. Parrotsandrew

I have now done the deed with the second card and posted some West Caucasian Tur photographs.