Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 7 Jan 2014.

1. ian999

ian999 Active Member 10+ year member

Naomi the Grey Gibbon has been transferred into the Orang utan house, there was a notice stuck to glass of the show den asking visitors to be quiet as it was her first day in there.

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thats very interesting! Was she in the 'underneath' enclosure i.e. beneath the walkway by the maintenance yard or in the main indoor Orang house proper? Are they going to finally attempt a real mix like at Durrell & Chester?

3. ian999

ian999 Active Member 10+ year member

Well I stood at the show den for some time and I could not see her, but then I saw her move across one of the doors downstairs where the orangs sleep in the night dens.

4. Potamogale

Potamogale Well-Known Member

I was there on Thursday (15th) and the notice was stuck on the glass then ...
    Managed to catch sight of her briefly as she had emerged from the dens and had a little look around before swinging back downstairs .

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Naomi, the Grey gibbon

She moved from the former Swamp Monkey house to the ape house round about the beginning of April, if I remember rightly. She has been out on the small island by herself, and in the showden with female orang, Gambira. They are taking it slowly, I believe.

She was in the back cage the other day, singing VERY loudly. I was told at Durrell that they had to build separate sleeping quarters there for the gibbons as their early morning singing almost made the orangs' and the keepers' ears bleed:eek: Maybe Demo & Co should have a supply of ear plugs ;)

6. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having not visited Paignton since 2007 (I REALLY should visit!) does anyone have an update on what will replace the elephants when Duchess goes? I think remember talk of Gaur on my last visit, but obviously plans change!

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

New Arrivals: new-born Mandrill, Capybara and Meerkats. There are 4 young Greater Rhea in the paddock behind the restaurant. Also, there are now 4 Crowned Cranes in the newish aviary.

Last edited: 26 May 2014
  8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

More additions that I've noticed: Golden Lion Tamarins in the newly built enclosure in Monkey Heights, and another white Lechwe calf.

9. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Memory is sketchy but didn't they used to have Golden Lion Tamarins years ago? I visited the Zoo as a child/teen from 1998-2003. I think they were on the zig-zag path leading up to the Cheetahs from the Ape centre.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right. They used to be free-range there. When they left they were replaced by Black tailed Marmosets, and now there's a bee hive on that site.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Small Expectations

I was chatting to someone about Paignton the other day. She said they'd taken their children, aged 2 and 10, to Dartmoor. They loved it and thought it was better than Paignton. The children liked being close to the animals, especially the tigers, and it was cheaper than Paignton. There's hope for Mr Mee yet! :rolleyes:

Last edited: 15 Jun 2014
  12. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

I'd have to disagree with that. To me Dartmoor was dirty, uninviting entrance more like a dilapitated toilet block, cratered car park, slimy walls and railings, clapped out land rover left to rust on drive, toilets absolutely filthy, water in enclosures filthy, enclosures had little enrichment, especially for tigers, rude students, very few animals, buildings falling apart. Only new things I saw there was the huge shiny caravan on the Mee's lawn and the fleet of brand new branded vehicles... Only positive was getting close to the animals, but the same can be said for paignton when the animals walk past the viewing glass. Paignton has more animals and is a few quid more. Exmoor Zoo is a lot better than Dartmoor in all ways and it charges the same entrance price.

Now back to paignton Zoo. I heard at the Giraffe talk that Valentino is leaving soon... He was starting to challenge Yoda when I was there last saturaday. Kasai the male Cheetah was back in the show enclosure. He'd been kept off show whilst female Isantya was in the show enclosure. First time I've seen him since september. At the talk it was said Isantya had beat him up when they was together at first. She was off show this time, they plan to only let them in together when Isantya is in season. It looks like there's only two golden Lion tamarins?

13. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

New Lion male has arrived from ZSL London called Lucifer.

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not an animal move but a human move 2 of the mammal section keepers are off to new jobs at Orana park in NZ.

15. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Better than on my only visit then!:D

Only joking - I enjoyed the Cornish pasty and chips, plus a few other things.

16. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And a fine fellow he is too-he'll be sorely missed at London.

I hope he enjoys the English Riviera!:D

17. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Possibly visiting Paignton Zoo, for the first time since I was in a pushchair (twenty years ago), in a few weeks.

Can anyone tell me the best time to see the Gorillas and Orangs out on their islands or if it's worth going to any daily talks/feeding times to see them.

18. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

At the moment the orangs are separated so that the indoor exhibit and the two islands each have one female (Chinta & baby, Mali & baby and Gambira & Demo) but they can be rotated between enclosures from time to time. I think the best time to see them is between 10.30 and 11 when they are released on to the islands, after a scatter feed has been left for them.
    The gorillas usually have free choice between the indoor exhibit and their island, but they are unpredictable and weather sensitive. I would certainly recommend the keeper's talk if the weather is good, as they will come outside in the hope of a titbit or two.
    Enjoy your day :)

Alan

Note added 13/7/14
    Mali and Chinta, with their babies, were let out at 10.25 this morning. All the gorillas except Kiondo came out for a few tomatoes and carrots at the keeper's talk.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2014
  19. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks for the info GL :)

20. Drago

Drago Well-Known Member

Visted today

One of the camels, Oscar has passed away.

Smolis the male Maned Wolf is off show and seperate from female Milla for vaccinations, only for a few days though. At 12 1/2 years he must be one of the oldest Maned Wolves out there.

Lucifer the Lion. What can I say? Wow he's big and very vocal. He roared many times during the day and seemed to be showing a lot of interest in Indu, even though he should be going after Maliya.