Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TriUK, 5 Jan 2017.

1. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2017 could prove to be exciting....., phased work on the Savannah exhibit will involve lots of moving and swapping of stock currently in that area, including Anoa, Peccary, RR Hog, Tapir, Meerkat, Takin & Rhea.
    Today the Pileated Gibbon and Howler Monkey lake was drained and the Squirrel Monkeys were absent while their shared house was being prepared for the now settled Howler group.
    The Lories & parrots have 'shifted' along an aviary or two leaving 2 empty?
    The new aviaries between the tropical and desert house are near complete.
    The Tenrecs are moving back to their original (anoa) house and have been moved from the old nocturnal house where only meerkats now reside.
    Other developments will include new viewing platforms in Lemur Wood and Cheetah enclosure enlargement.

Brum likes this.
  2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is this a typo (spider monkey?) or does Paignton hold squirrel monkeys?

3. TriUK

Paignton holds a group of Squirrel monkeys in a mixed exhibit with Howlers. They do in fact also hold a breeding group of Brown Variagated Spider Monkeys in another part of the zoo.

4. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks. In that case, zootierliste (and my memory) needs updating.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. TriUK

Gibbons - wonder if this is housing for the Lars, and if so, whether it would be in public view (as train track is in the way)? I've always been surprised that the zoo inspector has allowed them to use a tiny tree house for so many years, but it is quite cool they are semi-wild.
    Lemurs - I was told the original house near the bridge was being converted into an observation platform & that they were looking at bringing in Bamboo Lemurs to reside in the lakeside house (originally intended for Gibbons to access Orang island).

7. TriUK

Tropical House and Desert House are closed for refurbishment. Lots of building work and construction trucks around yesterday. Should be open by half term.
    Squirrel monkeys now in primate house opposite Bongo, in front of Lemur Wood entrance until new Howler grouping has settled.

8. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Speculation, but an area of Gunnera has been cleared on the lake shore opposite Gibbon Island and turf is now being removed. This might be the site of a house for the Lars, similar to the Pileated house? They would just need a bridge over to the island. You can see this on the webcam:
    Live Webcams at Paignton Zoo

The gibbons aren't used to being close to the public so the railway being there between them and us could be an advantage. And maybe it's time for one of the two brothers to be moved on and replaced with a female.

9. TriUK

Was told today that the area being cleared is for a new flower bed in front of the Lar Gibbons. There is a concrete path being laid to replace the wooden walkway in the tropical/desert house.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

After closer inspection today and seeing the care that was being taken, I thought this was probably the case.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

ShonenJake13, Crowthorne and Brum like this.
  12. TriUK

Thanks for this Gigit. One of the interviewees said he looked after Komodo Dragons. Does anyone know if Paignton keep these off-show? If so, what is their age and do we think they'll be on show soon?

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

It's not clear to me whether he was talking about Paignton specifically or about Komodos and reptiles generally. I think he's a fairly new appointee so maybe he's looked after Komodos elsewhere? They're not listed in the 2015 Inventory but anything could have happened since then. If they do have them, from what I've seen at other zoos they need a fairly large enclosure, so I can't think where they'd go.

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If Paignton Zoo has gone into Komodo Dragon it would be a very new development, and one which I have not heard about; however, as Luke Harding - the individual in question - worked for ZSL until pretty recently and as such will have been involved with the species there we cannot assume he specifically meant Paignton holds the species.

pipaluk likes this.
  15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't discount that Paignton might have Komodos given the team they have in place now.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Quite; given all you have said in the past about them I suspect it is only a matter of time, if it has not happened already!

17. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

18. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

They still haven't employed a proofreader - Loris born in March on 2nd February ;)

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

pipaluk, Maguari, Crowthorne and 3 others like this.
  20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member