Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 6 Feb 2018.

1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't understand why zoos put out these messages that claim "exciting development soon" it tells you nothing and 9 times out of 10 they turn out to be negative changes.

2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Too right!

Maybe instead of the Savannah they're having dinosaurs :eek:

Ned likes this.
  3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that the fact that it's a media message is the clue. The Zoo and the Trust are jumping on the 'slow TV' bandwagon by launching a new daytime channel which will set new records for the slowest TV ever. It will be called Sleeping Kiwi TV.

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

:D

5. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Gigit is right; Paignton could become a reptile/bird park the way things are going!

As I've said before, I really fear for my local zoos. Living Coasts is ticking over, but the Seal pool is looking smaller as each year passes (not literally but feels unfit size-wise for 2019) and key species are aging - Puffin & B Cormorant.

The TB outbreak and the poorly managed new savannah exhibit at PZ has really stalled the trusts progress, at least publicly, and it appears that areas that could have been worked on during this time (new Takin enclosure in quarry , Lar Gibbon house, new South American house for Peccary/Tapir/capybara) have been left?

Could they not have at least built the walk-through vulture aviary as planned?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The TB outbreak is a disaster for the mammals, and affects not just for the zoo but the breeding programmes.

I think I've mentioned before that I rather hope they don't proceed with the Savannah - I personally have never been wowed by a savannah exhibit, except maybe the one at Burgers. The animals involved at Paignton are all currently easily viewable and don't need separating because they don't get on (thinking of Dublin). I'd prefer them to spend the money, if they've got it, on something a bit different - a nocturnal house for kiwi and others has been suggested above.

I'm not completely pessimistic about the zoo's future because there have been some impressive new staff appointments over the last year or so and you can see that some good work is going on. This probably isn't apparent to the casual visitor though, while the empty and sparsely populated enclosures will be.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2018
  7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

A new development that is quite exciting! The pygmy slow loris have a new enclosure in Monkey Heights in between the Sakis and their former home, now occupied by squirrel monkeys. Most of the window is covered by black boarding, the walls are black and there's no lighting (or very little?). So it is, in effect, a nocturnal exhibit. I could see some loris movement near the ceiling :)

Next door, the large tree holding up the netting of the saki outdoor area has been severely cut back and the netting, posts etc are lying in a heap. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

I noticed a message on the restaurant's video screen explaining the empty enclosures round the zoo as being the result of new developments.

Brum likes this.
  8. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Was here today, Meerkats also have been moved into the Ranch area. Tapir was off show today for some reason.

Brookside Aviary is back open.

3 day old Baby Baboon seen with mother today.

Lots of refurb in reptile house, with 3 empty vivs and one completely being restored.

Signs say there is a eagle owl in the Brookside Aviary but couldn't see one, anyone know where it normally hangs out?

Also saw the Pygmy Slow Loris exhibit, but was too dark to see anything.

9. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there today too! I saw a tapir lying down indoors through an open doorway. Also saw a loris

10. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So do they have only one tapir left in their collection now, considering the amount of mammals they've last over the past months? Seems like a shocker to think of PZ without any mammals...

11. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Oh Reticulated Pythons are also offshow at present, whilst work is gone on their enclosure.

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I only saw one tapir, but obviously they could have more

13. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I saw two tapirs indoors before Christmas. They don't seem to like venturing out these days, likewise the one capybara which I saw 'recently'. I think the tapirs are mother and son, Misha born 1994 and Dexter born 2012.

I've seen the eagle owl in the Brookside Aviary in several places. I haven't spotted it for quite some time but that doesn't mean it's not still there.

The Hedgehog likes this.
  14. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Can any of my fellow Zoochatters please list all of the animals that have died this year I've heard a lot have passed on this year and I just want to know more information.
    Kind regards The Hedgehog!

15. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The African spotted eagle owl has been in the Brookside Aviary for over 18 months now (see last year's postings). I don't go into the Brookside Aviary often, and even when I do, I don't usually see the owl. But when I have seen it, it has been on one of the tree branches overhanging the edge of the pool, not far from the lion end of the path.

Zooreviewsuk likes this.
  16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

None of us, AFAIK, work in the zoo so the best person to ask would be the zoo's Registrar, but they might be reluctant to divulge information that could be sensitive. Alternatively, you could look back through this thread and see what's been mentioned and is out in the public domain. I would have to do that before attempting to answer your question :)