Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 6 Feb 2018.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any more recent info on the Cuban crocs or Tomistomas?

2. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

WOW! I knew they had K Dragons but assumed they would be very young & off-show. I guess they must be building a safe off-show area behind the door at the bottom of the pit then? Maybe the wooden pallets will have mock rock built over them? Very exciting!

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Had a quick look today and mock rock was being applied!

4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are we still talking about the open top python exhibit in Croc Swamp? How much more mock rock does one exhibit need? :p

pipaluk and Giant Panda like this.
  5. TriUK

I guess the exhibits base would need to be raised and be made more level for Dragons?
    Does anyone know how old/how many Dragons they have?

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Yes, it looked as though the base was being raised.

7. Bromeliad

Bromeliad Member

The volunteer didn't say they had them on site, but had one waiting to come in from another zoo. As far as I'm aware, the zoo has never had them, not even offshow. Not sure what the plans are, but obviously want to make it dragon friendly; will need to ensure it can't climb out, for example.

8. Bromeliad

Bromeliad Member

I think they are running to tests to determine sexes (they think 2 female but aren't sure) as well as "purity" tests. Not sure how long that takes.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. TriUK

PZ have become the first BIAZA zoo to breed the Chinese Crocodile Lizard. See their FB post. Wish they were on show.

10. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

11. TriUK

That's great news. I hope the TB restrictions are lifted soon. The mammal collection is suffering. They need a new male Bongo for a start! I wonder if the giraffe are on birth control as the herd is already pretty big for the space provided?
    The new curator will hopefully use his connections to get things moving. At least the zoo has time to plan moves and enclosure swaps whilst the TB restrictions are in place before the Savannah extensions are built!
    I wonder if he's planning how to showcase the Kiwi, Loris and Owstons Civet at Paignton?

12. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

The mammal collection certainly needs a boost. I don't know how big the offshow area is but it must be getting on for standing room only in there. Just recently, I've noticed that there's only one Saki monkey, one Goeldi's, and three Emperor tamarins. The male Diana monkey is still offshow, and I only saw one Bongo on my last visit (there were two previous to that). As mentioned above, the lesser mouse deer has vanished, as has the porcupine. I believe the giraffes are on contraception now, as are the mandrills, lions and tigers.

To a regular, it does all look a bit sad at the moment with bindweed and brambles thriving in borders, especially round the ABC area. But at least you don't have to take a machete to go down the path from the car park now as the overgrowth has been cut back.

13. 14556

14556 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Crocodile swamp closed 9th to 20th July for the new arrivals

14. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Bongos - I saw them both today.

bongorob likes this.
  15. TriUK

Good.
    Was there any semblance of construction taking place or internal stock moves re. savannah?
    Gigit - is the only off-show area for mammals behind the vet centre & amphitheater? I know there is a huge off-show bird area behind the cassowary and ABC building.

16. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

There is no sign of Savannah work, apart from the old badger field being razed to the ground. None of the animals have moved.

As far as I know, that's the only off-show area for mammals. There are various buildings back there including a postmortem room, college classrooms and a crocodile house that was featured on TV once, but otherwise I think they're mainly for storage.

17. Bromeliad

Bromeliad Member

Unfortunately, TB restrictions being lifted aren't up to the zoo, they have to have a minimum of 6 months clear test results, difficult when the cat TB tests are done only once a month, and you have to have a fresh sample sent immediately (within 24 hours before the date of testing) and get it there in time. New curator won't be able to do anything, regardless of connections, it's not up to him.
    I see they've had a howler monkey born, though not sure that will do much to lure visitors back to the zoo.
    Male giraffe, Yoda, is on a contraceptive, though can be seen attempting to mate daughter, Eliska, every time she comes into season. Until TB restrictions are lifted, none of the daughters can be moved. I imagine the plan would be to move on the 2 older daughters, if not the 3 older. But then I was also informed by staff that the studbook do not require any more offspring from Yoda due to the captive population already being flooded with his genetics.
    I don't think there are any plans to get a male bongo any time soon.
    I'm not sure savannah will be going ahead as previously planned, due to badger fencing restrictions, I suspect that will cost a pretty penny!

18. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yoda the male Baringo is over represented,and the best move for the zoo when the TB restrictions are lifted will be to move him and not move his daughters why move 3 giraffes when you only need to move .

ian999 likes this.
  19. Bromeliad

Bromeliad Member

I suspect because the studbook would be better off with 3 different options for offspring, rather than just 1. I.e. each female goes to a different zoo with a different bull, rather than 1 male mating 3 females from the same bloodline. It's not about "ease" in zoo populations, it's about what is required and necessary for the species.
    Also, what zoo is going to want to take on a new bull who is no longer required to breed? He'd just be an unwanted expenditure.

20. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Simple answer a zoo holding only surplus males plenty of zoos doing that in Europe and the UK,and who knows what bulls maybe available when TB restrictions are lifted a ready made herd of females able to breed is an attractive proposition.Well if Yoda is just an unwanted expense I suggest we apply the Copenhagen approach to surplus male giraffes!

TriUK likes this.