Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Paignton Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Gigit, 8 Jan 2019.

1. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Anyone seen the Giraffe using the Elephant paddock yet - the gate has been open for some time?

2. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought there was plans for Southern white rhino to be brought back to the zoo and moved into Duchess's former home.

I'll take it the Giraffes now have temporary access to the enclosure until then?

3. TriUK

The second draft of the Savannah exhibit was shelved due to the TB crisis. There has been no announcement about the new 'plan'. Similarly to Twycross's recent dilemma, I can only think that the house would be used for white Rhino. It would be nice to think though that the Giraffe herd would maintain long term access to more space.

4. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

I don’t think Paignton should have rhinos they do not have enough space.

5. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Not on my recent visits.

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The area next to the elephant paddock, which was kept 'wild' when it contained a badger sett, has been cleared for at least two years. It was due to become the site for a vulture aviary in the savanna plan, but it would provide plenty of extra space for a group of rhino.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2019
    Kifaru Bwana and Animallover1998 like this.
  7. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In that case, do you suggest they phase out the black rhinos they already house?

8. robert everett

robert everett Well-Known Member

I think so they could focus on giving a smaller species a better and realistic habitat

9. TriUK

I am probably wrong, but I thought the vulture aviary was planned for the paddock further along i.e. opposite the Maned Wolves and the badger hide? This area has just had a new badger proof fence and has most recently housed Darwins Rhea.

10. TriUK

Paignton have had some success with Black Rhino. The paddocks are actually pretty good, but as the rhino get older they seem to frequent the higher parts less. Most Black Rhino paddocks seem much flatter with less gradient - maybe that's an issue, maybe not? I have always thought this current area would be great for Okapi. However, from an educational point of view, keeping both Black Rhino and White Rhino would be a real advantage.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Black rhino would best be relocated to old African elephant exhibit with the old house might indeed better fit okapi or Afrotheria ... I have always thought
    the present rhino indoor way too cramped.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, they bred a single calf, Zuri who is now a breeding female at Chester. Unfortunately her father Kingo was reclaimed by Port Lympne as they needed him themselves for breeding. The replacement male wasn't proven before he arrived, resulting in no breeding and the female eventually becoming non- reproductive due to her lack of pregnancies. IMO allowing this to happen was not good management.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What is the pedigree of Sita? Is she of valuable bloodline?

I'm presuming Twycross have room for a second female? Could pairing another female with a relatively long period since breeding be a good thing( before anyone says anything I know they need a male) allowing Paignton be able to bring in fresh blood?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It remains an option! Allthough, I suspect that the non breeding male is the issue.

It could be that transferring Sita out to TWZ, PL or Chester or other might kickstart her to rebreed perhaps coupled with hormonal therapy.

BTW: she is from the Berlin Zoo breeding bloodline.

Embu likes this.
  15. Pertinax

Afaik the female already at Twycross has a rather similar history to Sita and is already quite old. I can see another non-breeding situation arising there too if, as I think is the case, the bull they get from PL is also young and inexperienced (different if he's already proven of course.) But maybe they aren't even aiming particularly at breeding.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2019
  16. Pertinax

I'm sure Sita would have bred again with Kingo if he had been available. It appears to be the current bull that is at fault as she was proven previously. With no pregnancy after several years they should have sent her away to a proven bull e.g. Kingo who fathered Zuri, for mating. Now it seems its too late.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Surely that is the studbook keeper’s decision not the holder?

TNT likes this.
  18. Pertinax

Realising no calf was being produced over time, they could have requested she be moved temporarily for breeding, or that bulls be swapped again. Ideally a re-match with Kingo was the obvious choice, either at PL or Paignton. Better than just leaving her unbred so long after her only calf, that she became unreproductive and 'retired' from breeding, which is what has happened.:(

Last edited: 24 Sep 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member