Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza News 2018

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by vogelcommando, 10 Jan 2018.

1. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A side note... Decin Zoo (of all places) now exhibit king bird of paradise in their strange little bird house.

Brum likes this.
  2. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If I had to pick one European zoo I've visited where I would least expect birds-of-paradise, it'd probably be Decin! Are they free-roaming in the main area, or in one of the aviaries? It might be worth posting this in the Decin topic as well, if there is one ;)

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Something which makes it all the more strange to consider the fact that Plzen has never held any BoP species, that Prague has held only a single species for a handful of months in the 1970's, and that including this single holding the new holding at Decin is only the second time a bird-of-paradise has been held in a Czech collection.

4. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A pair in the walk-through.

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Those bird-of-paradise in Decin must be new.

Last year, a single male was seen on at least 2 exhibitions organized by Czech private bird keepers, but owner was kept secret.

I have seen this ad recently 2.1 birds for sale and I guess Decin bought them?
    Prodám rajky kralovske - iFauna.cz

Vision and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Vision

Very interesting indeed!

Another bit of news; on zootierliste both rare amazons (Imperial amazon and Red-necked amazon) have been added since either today or yesterday as well, with the park's TV show "Expedition Pairi Daiza" as a source. I don't personally watch the show so I can't confirm or deny this arrival, but if they were shared on non-live television this must mean they've been there for at least a short period of time. On another forum it was mentioned a few days ago that 2 aviaries in the parrot area didn't have any animals in them... I hope I'm not drawing conclusions too quickly here, but it would be excellent to see those on-show as well!

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

:eek: My vague plans for a short break in Belgium may become an urgent priority in the near future :eek:

8. CaliHans

CaliHans Well-Known Member

They have Bulwer's pheasant now as well according to zootierliste, most likely the ones from Al Wabra.

9. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would certainly agree that going back to Pairi Daiza is a high priority (although I also want to visit San Diego;)).

10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

AAAAAGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must go to Pairi Daiza now!!!!!!!!!!!! Million thanks for the advice!!!! (I suppose they are on show and not off show, right? Please tell me about that)

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The current group of 4 Spix's macaw will be on-show.
    Next year they are supposed to get a breeding group / aviary going (now being built).

Kakapo likes this.
  12. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Man you're KILLING me!!!!! Spix on show, Bulwer's and Imperial amazon.... (my previous post about if it was on show was referring to the pheasant). For sure I must go this year!

13. Kifaru Bwana

The Carribean amazon Parrots different ones to those taken in by ATCP in Germany?

14. Vision

For clarification: 4 Spix's and 2 Lear's macaws are on show, 1 Greater and 1 Lesser bird-of-paradise are on show, the pheasants and amazons are at the park according to zootierliste, but it is unkown if they are on-show or not (I don't think so).

What is on-show is a group of squirrel monkeys in an aviary in the parrot area, which are apparently labelled as "Saimiri oerstedii" which would be yet another unique species in Europe, however I have no idea whether or not this is true as I have not seen a reliable source.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2018
    Kakapo likes this.
  15. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The last few days have made me very pleased that Zoohistorica is in Belgium this year..!

Tim May, lintworm and TeaLovingDave like this.
  16. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to my information none of the Dominican amazons importedby the ACTP moved to Belgium of are currently planned to move there in the future.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am seriously considering coming to the Zoohistorica this year and go to Pairi Daiza on September 7, who'll join?

Kifaru Bwana and Maguari like this.
  18. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

I think our current vague plan has Pairi Daiza on the Monday after (so the 10th). :)

19. Vision

False alarm, this is just the common squirrel monkeys which have been moved from their walkthrough island to here. I think the confusion on another forum originated from S. sciureus being called "Sapajou jaune" (=yellow squirrel monkey) in French, and S.oerstedii being called "Geel doodshoofdaapje" (=yellow squirrel monkey) in Dutch.

However, the new signage for the Bolivian squirrel monkeys they have is more specific than the signage last year was, and confirms they are of subspecies peruviensis, which is also scarce in European zoos.

Last edited: 25 Jun 2018
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Given the macaws and BoP's yes so would I.