Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza News 2018

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by vogelcommando, 10 Jan 2018.

1. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Shoebill breeding - do we know any details?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member

Well possibly it is just misinformation, Les Zoos de Belgique was talking about 2 chicks and normally they are quite reliable, but there is a comment under the post that there are no chicks at all....

Jana likes this.
  3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Hello, I would like to know about photographing the Spix's macaws at Pairi Daiza. One recent visitor said that they stay in the top of the enclosure where they are impossible to photograph due to reflections on glass. A text about Spix's macaw said that theyre animals of manners, that tend to use the same place for resting everyday. So I doubt they go to lower level and rest in the branches... But my question is, are these reflections due to sunlight? If so, there is a better hour where the sun don't hit the glass?
    I also would like to know if Dorcopsis are easily seen, if are in nocturnal house, or if are off show.

4. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member

Dorcopsis is no longer present apparently, the only place to see those in Europe is BestZoo...
    I've had no luck at all photographing the Spix's macaws, they always stay in the top of their enclosure and the glass is very reflective due to direct sunlight. The situation has gotten a little bit better since my first visit because of a shade screen covering the viewing area, but in the morning the macaws stayed at the top of their enclosure and in the evening they were nowhere to be seen (probably in their indoor enclosure). I wish you the best of luck!

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Are the Spix Macaws still hanging high up on the wire, or using the enclosure more now?

6. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member

They weren't hanging on the chainlink all the time anymore at least, but I didn't see them do anything other than sit on a branch/pole right above the viewing window, with their backs turned to the people... I did only visit their enclosure twice though, and they had to have flown away at some point because they weren't visible anymore in the evening. I hope they get more used to the enclosure and start showing better! The Lear's next to them are showing very well though, so that's something.

Pertinax likes this.
  7. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Argh! The lack of dorcopsis is a real shame! Maybe I must do something for include BestZoo in my trip... Well, I'll try my best with the Spix macaws, if finally I manage to do the travel (finally Vogelcommando can't host me, if I don't find a host I will must cancel the travel). Lear's macaws was superexciting to me when I saw them behind the scenes at Prague, and passed to be just a "nice sight" when I saw dozens of them at Loro Park... Spix's are on a much superior category hehehe.

8. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

On the train, heading back to Antwerp after an exhausting but amazing day at Pairing Daiza. After two trips to the exhibit, we finally saw the Spix macaw at around 6pm in a better viewing position. They were eating, and one of them went on the ground. Sun was still glaring through the glass but think I got a good photo. The bulwers pheasants are amazing, but one has a busted leg. So much has changed since last April. The hotel development looks amazing too!

9. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member

Also saw a pair of black-naped oriole in an an aviary with Peking robins, are the Orioles a new species?

10. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member

They arrived last summer I believe! I quite like the way that cage looks, but do wonder if it provides enough shade/cover for both relatively shy species...

Nice to hear that you did see the Spix's macaws well! I should go back another time soon I suppose. :p

migdog likes this.
  11. lintworm

I visited Pairi Daiza last Friday with several zoochatters and this place is becoming more and more ludicrous with every passing month. There is a lot of very impressive stuff, but also a lot that is just wrong in so many ways. Even though the pictures are often somewhat strange, they don't do justice to the place, which really has to be seen to be believed...
    Pairi Daiza | ZooChat

Pairi Daiza will soon receive 5 more elephants from Hannover. But this time 5 elephants will also leave, 2 former circus elephants (one Asian and one African) will move to Macedonia, 3 other older females will move to Italy.

The Spix macaws are still rather shy and though you won't miss them, they are hard to photograph. One of the Bulwer's pheasant had a small leg injury

Wyman, Brum, snowleopard and 2 others like this.
  12. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Pairi Daiza has just announced on their Facebook page that a family group of five Asian elephants from Hannover safely arrived at Pairi Daiza at the beginning of this week.
    Pairi Daiza

They are now getting to know their indoor housing and the care team, in a few days they will start exploring their outdoor exhibit.

According to a posting on the Laafsekikkers zoo forum Pairi Daiza already had 0.3 African elephants and 3.14 Asian elephants. They have now received 2.3 more Asian elephants.
    Laafsekikkers.be • Bekijk onderwerp - Nieuwstopic Pairi Daiza (2018)

That's quite an impressive number I must say.

13. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member

The number is indeed 20, but it’s not the numbers you quote above; to make room for the new elephants from Hannover they have sent 0.3 Asian elephants to Italy and 0.1 African and 0.1 Asian that were living together to Macedonia. So now 0.2 African and 5.13 Asian.

The 0.2 Africans of course live together. The two Asian bulls that the zoo has each live alone outside of breeding. Then the new group of 2.3 will live together, and there’s the existing herd of 1.8. There’s also 0.2 Asians that they received late last year who I don’t know where they live, whether just together or with the main herd...

Last edited: 26 Sep 2018
    KevinB likes this.
  14. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member

Thank you for your information, additions and corrections, @ShonenJake13 .

I didn't cross-check the information reported at the Laafsekikkers, and perhaps I should have done so before posting, so I apologize for that.

15. lintworm

Pairi Daiza has announced a second development for 2019: La Derniere Frontier (the next frontier), which on 8 hectares will house Brown bears, Grey wolfs, Timber wolfs, Steller's sea lion, Beaver, European elk (moose), Cougar and marmots.... This is in addition to the hotel they are currently building and the Polar bear + Walrus + King penguin + Siberian tiger enclosures...

Wyman, Brum, Nisha and 4 others like this.
  16. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't derniere mean 'last'? I think prochaine would be for 'next'.

Also I feel like some of these were previously included in the polar development?

17. lintworm

Uh yes, it is still morning here :p

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  18. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

Slow year for them is it?

;)

19. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member

Jesus do they ever stop?!?

20. migdog