Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza News 2020

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by lintworm, 6 Jan 2020.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

17-year old walrus Tania was transferred from Hamburg to Pairi Daiza a few days ago, according to a report on Facebook posted this morning. At 1.230 kilograms she is according to the message substantially larger than the male Thor and the other female Petruska.

Pairi Daiza NL Facebook post

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Leaving the fourth one still in Hamburg? Is that because she is pregnant perhaps as they thought one might be?

3. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

4. Valentin

Pairi Daiza will create a new entry. Its name: the egg of the world.

Some pictures of this entry:

Vincent Deleux

I will transcribe what it says on the poster:
    "Protected by its shell and its expanse of water, this garden will present the very essence of Pairi Daiza to you through its different worlds featuring fauna, flora, architecture and minerals.
    In its central part, will be the tree of life from which flows the source giving birth to the 4 sacred rivers ... "

Dustin1999 and snowleopard like this.
  5. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

so is it like a visitor center?

6. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its main function would be, as I understand, an entrance to the zoo. I'm interested as to where it is to be located though.

Valentin likes this.
  7. Valentin

It is more of an entry. I guess it will be behind the checkouts. We will arrive at the checkouts then at this entrance which will allow us to access the different worlds ... well I suppose.

amur leopard and Antoine like this.
  8. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

But wouldnt that mean that some things would have to be removed first?

9. Valentin

No, because this new entrance will undoubtedly be in front of the current park on the site of the old car parks. It will ultimately lead to the greenhouse world in particular.

The greenhouse project has just been taken out of the boxes. A building permit has just been requested for the creation of the 5 hectare sanctuary. The project would have undergone some modifications for 2 years.

https://www.sudinfo.be/id299706/art...ytff52ivz35oTHJoBNAxOf0Ocnjrk47fiVf0UhuO4Ja2Q

As a reminder, here is what the greenhouse should look like :

http://www.brugelette.be/infos-comm...es-en-cours/pairi-daiza-rip-191219-visuel.pdf

10. amur leopard

This is... incredible. Then again we are talking about Pairi. However, the sheer scale and developments included in the project still make me a bit wary of getting too expectant. At least we know they won’t have any difficult sourcing manatees ;)

The plan also seems to suggest underwater viewing for Jaguars, although it looks like the exhibit could well end up being all indoors...

Valentin likes this.
  11. PossumRoach

What would happen to madidi and cambron abbey if the South American animals move to the new area? Would the animals in madidi be replaces with a new species? Would madidi be a non walkthrough enclosure?

Also, is the “lake” shown in page 30 an aquarium?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Valentin

Yes the lake will be a kind of aquarium. Manatees should be presented ...
    The greenhouse will also have many accommodations, especially underwater.

The public inquiry will take place from January 7 to February 8.
    The greenhouse should accommodate many endangered species. When you know Mr Domb's ambitions, you can expect great things.

Projet de serre tropicale sur 5 hectares à Pairi Daiza: ouverture prochaine de l’enquête publique
    Pairi Daiza prépare un nouveau monde consacré à l'Amazonie, l'enquête publique débute en janvier

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Knowing what Mr Domb has built in the last years, I expect that the living conditions for the animals in the greenhouse will be very poor, but to the visitors it will look great and the zoo fans that love mock rock and excessive theming will love it. I will most likely hate it....

Antoine likes this.
  14. PossumRoach

Are there enough manatees in Europe for Mr. Domb to get the manatees or will he find a new source of manatees such as the USFWS.

I might need a rundown for this.

15. amur leopard

I highly doubt Mr. Domb will even have to approach the Fish and Wildlife Service - there are plenty of manatee offspring and surplus which will do just fine I reckon - Beauval have somewhere in the realm of 11 manatees at present...

Pairi is quite a unique zoo on the European stage in the sense that it has masses of extravagant theming (temples, straw huts, tipis, you name it) along with large numbers of rare species (shoebills, St Vincent amazons, BOPs, bear cuscuses, pandas etc.) yet seems to only really care about the theming. Essentially, in many exhibits (eg. the Javan leopard enclosure) the animals play second fiddle to a crumbling temple or mini volcano and end up in a tiny exhibit.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2020
  16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We in Europe have Carribean/Amazonian manatee.
    Floridean/Gulf manatee are those in US.

Zorro likes this.
  17. amur leopard

Do we?? o_O:D

pangolin12 likes this.
  18. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There’s currently 31 manatees in Europe, spread across nine zoos. Most zoos only have two or three animals (Randers Regnskov, Nuremberg, Genova Aquarium, Burgers, Faunia). Paris, Odense and Wroclaw all have between four and six animals, and Beauval has the largest number with 12 animals total at the moment.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It has been suggested that intergradation between the 2 may occur. A 2005 paper on T. inunguis found a Guyanan manatee male with part genetic material from Amazonian and a haplotype typical of the later. So, there is Some circumstancial evidence there.

I know some founder stock was wildcaught in Sranam and Guianas. Not sure how this is for the broader EEP group. Must check that one over.

pangolin12 and amur leopard like this.
  20. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Any news about Pairi Daiza and Golden snub-nosed monkey?

pangolin12 likes this.