Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza News 2020

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by lintworm, 6 Jan 2020.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know offhand the price of the other hotel(s) there- the less fancy non-viewing ones? And if they include the same free entry etc in the price?

2. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

All prices can be found on the resort-webpage, but they the change according to the month you want to book. The summer is more expensive than in October.

All the extra's (parking, entree, small souvenir, animal experience, 24h acces to the resort area, ...) are the always included, in all accomodations, at all time.

Pertinax likes this.
  3. janfc1948

janfc1948 Member

I am wondering if pairi daiza will recieve little penguins in the closer future due to the closure of Living Coasts, Torquay. In the EAZA TAG Reports 2018 Living Coasts is listed as the second facility to host little penguins after Weymouth as soon as they become available....

4. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It would seem logical that Pairi Daiza would move into the second spot now with the unfortunate closure of Living Coasts. The exhibit designated for the little penguins is already there, so hopefully they will receive them soon enough.

According to a recent message at Les Zoos de Belgique (in French) a replacement for the giant otters has arrived. It is in fact an otter of a different species: a Smooth-coated otter (Lutrogale perspicillata) named Noor. The smooth-coated otter is an Asian species, and thus fits better into the Chinese section of the park, and the smooth-coated otter is substantially smaller than the giant otter so I guess the exhibit might work better for them than for the giant otters, but I still question whether that exhibit is truly ideal for any otter species.

Le remplaçant de Pepper est arrivé à Pairi Daiza

5. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Myself and @TeaLovingDave and his partner Helly were commenting on how the enclosure would better fit this species when we visited last summer!!

StoppableSan and TeaLovingDave like this.
  6. masonstar

masonstar Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Could anybody tell me what happend to giraffe Kitoko - born in 2014?
    Also what happend to giraffe Luzi his mother?

7. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Two red pandas were born at Pairi Daiza a few days ago.

Pairi Daiza NL

8. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

PD announced today on their FB site that they have as new species three northern luzon giant cloud rats (2,1) on exhibit at the Oasis.

The two males come from Zie-zoo in the netherlands and the female from Cologne

devilfish, Jungle Man and Brum like this.
  9. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Something very big is building right now behind the snow leopards. The structure looks like that of a greenhouse, any ideas or info?

Under this photo you have the structure in question.

Security Check

10. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

On the FB-same site you're linking the latest speculations are now about golden snub-nosed monkies - because 2016 there were already articles in the press that Eric Domb - the owner of Pairi Daiza - would be discussing with Chinese authorities to get them to PD...

I mean - at PD you never know - they have the money, connections and the structure being built could fit - however golden snub-nosed monkies would be really crazy...

Valentin likes this.
  11. ShonenJake13

If they do get snub-nosed monkeys my guess would be they would be put in the current snow leopard enclosure and the snow leopards would be moved into a larger enclosure...

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Yes Eric Domb has long started negotiations for this monkey. It is therefore entirely possible that they will host some this year.
    Now we hope that other parks will follow if this is the case.

Is the current snow leopard enclosure more suitable for golden monkeys ?
    [​IMG]
    Security Check Required

New photo of the work, the structure looks more and more like a greenhouse.

Dustin1999 and Jogy like this.
  13. ShonenJake13

My comment on the monkeys going into the snow leopard enclosure was more based on the scenario in which the cats get a new (and larger) enclosure. I think it would suit snub nosed monkeys better (with a slight remodelling of course in terms of enrichment and enclosure features) based on its size

14. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There were some speculation about golden-snubs for Prague (don´t know if there is some chance now), so why not PD...

Jogy likes this.
  15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I tend to agree, the Snow Leopard enclosure is not very exciting but re-landscaped for Monkeys it would probably be a lot better. I thought it was one of the poorest enclosures visually in that area as it is currently.

16. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For the single female Puma a male arrived from Tierpark Ströhen ( Germany ).

Jungle Man and Jogy like this.
  17. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

@vogelcommando , Zootierliste doesn't list Pairi Daiza as having Pumas. I have a Zootierliste account, do I correct it? By the way, if you have any information about the female puma and since what year they have been there. Also, from what zoo did she came. Thanks in advance!

18. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zootierliste does list pumas for Pairi Daiza, I think you have trouble finding it because they keep a specific taxon (Missouri cougar) instead of just non-subspecific pumas. Ztl does say the sole puma they have is male not a female though...

19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Jungle Man : ZTL does list Pairi Daiza has having Puma, take a look under Missouri cougar and even when they didn't list it, I've seen and photographed the animal Autumn last year ( see our Gallery : Puma - ZooChat ).
    They have the species since 2019 and the male came from Plzen.

20. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

But then, the male that arrived is of non-subspecific status. According to Zootierliste which I know isn't completely correct, Tierpark Strohen have non subspecific pumas.