Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza News 2021

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by KevinB, 18 Jan 2021.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Jan 2021
  2. KevinB

Twelve naked mole-rats (Heterocephalus glaber) have been born at Pairi Daiza so far this winter. Pairi Daiza has four colonies, totaling about 100 animals, in its underground crypt area.

Pairi Daiza NL Facebook post

JurassicMax, SivatheriumGuy and Jogy like this.
  3. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One of the two walrus females has been sent back to Hagenbeck with the hopes she will be impregnated there. Regardless of the outcome of this move, it’s only temporary and she will return to PD later this year.

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is only a six week breeding window apparently. Anyone know what the situation with the third ex Valencia female (that stayed in Hamburg) is. Is she pregnant from last year's mating?

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  5. janfc1948

janfc1948 Member

Is the bull in Harderweijk not capable of breeding or why do they only use Odin of Hagenbeck?

6. ShonenJake13

ShonenJake13 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Dolfinarium bull is perfectly capable, but there have been no babies there in years. There have, however, been a few births at Hagenbeck in the last few years and that’s why Pairi Daiza opt to send her to Hamburg rather than Harderwijk.

7. janfc1948

janfc1948 Member

Ah okay thanks! I just wondered since Hagenbeck always talks of Odin being the only breeding bull in Europe.. but this explains it.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  8. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

A few months ago the zoo received 4,2 mountain chickens (Leptodactylus fallax) from Aquazoo Düsseldorf, they hope to breed with this species in the near future.

Source (In Dutch):

Dustin1999 and Jogy like this.
  9. janfc1948

janfc1948 Member

Gentoo penguins arrived from Munich. I don't know exactly how many but the article states that Munich's 6 departed towards Pairi Daiza and L'Oceanografic. So, what's the current status of Pairi Daiza's antarctic penguin plans/constructions?

Source (in german):
    Tierpark Hellabrunn

10. KevinB

After yesterday's decision of the Consultative Committee of the Belgian federal and regional governments, Pairi Daiza has announced that the park and resort will finally reopen on Saturday February 13th. The closure begun on November 2nd 2020.

All indoor spaces and restaurants will remain closed (take-away foods will be available) wearing a mask will be mandatory in the entire park, the same safety measures that were in place in the summer and fall of 2020 will again be in place and there will be a limited visitor capacity that will be strictly monitored. All visitors will have to reserve a time slot.

Pairi Daiza: uw bezoek of overnachting in alle veiligheid

11. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

A first impression from the penguin-cave has also been leaked to the public (in the mailing from Pairi Daiza to the members). See 519b9031-ab91-4b1a-8cc0-7bcc2ea24f15 for a bigger impression.

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I looked at the photo and I am not sure what to make of the cave with icicles hanging down. Does this represent reality in any way? I mean (and this is an honest question) are there any places in the wild where penguins live in caves? (Not sure which species they are getting).

PossumRoach, Antoine and StoppableSan like this.
  13. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looks very fake, as does the rest of the mock rock of the area. Really not a fan of this extension of the zoo.

Antoine likes this.
  14. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To be fair, I don't hate this. Not the best but neither the worst.

15. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

Still, for the money Pairi has spent, you could imo expect the best and not just an "okay" exhibit.

Antoine and SivatheriumGuy like this.
  16. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not as bad as the rubber icicles from "Batman and Robin". ;)

17. KevinB

I have read on the Dutch Zooinside Facebook page and on the Laafsekikkers zoo forum that this exhibit will house gentoo penguins.

To me the actual penguin exhibit space does not look too bad, although the dimensions are difficult to judge from a photo. But I did notice that the difference in height between the edge of the water and the rocky coast and between the two leves of the rocky beach seems to fairly low, and the rocky cliffs also seem rather steep. To me it will remain to be seen how well the penguins will be able to get around.

With regards to the cave theming, that in my opinion is just typical over-the-top Pairi Daiza theming. It in no way represents the habitat of Subantarctic penguins. I will however have to see the exhibit to judge just how distracting or counterproductive it may be, but personally I would have prefered if they had just invested in a top Subantarctic penguin facility, say something along the lines of Antwerp or Rotterdam.

18. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

I mean, there is a chance that they will layer all this with "fake" snow?

19. Gorilla Gust

The cave for the penguins is only visible (due covid-restrictions) for visitors who booked a night in the penguinroom from the resort.

On Laafsekikkers there is a impression from the penguin-cave, one of the forum-members stayed in this penguin(hotel)room.

Fake snow, real snow, daylight... and a 'open' exhibit as the glass wall isn't closed up to the ceiling (as in Eismeer/ Hagenbeck). We see it all on Nieuwstopic Pairi Daiza (2021) - Pagina 8 - Laafsekikkers.be

20. Gorilla Gust

Both the male wombat as koala are dead according to fangroups on facebook. Both species still have one female in the park. At this moment the koala-house is closed due to covid-restrictions.

PossumRoach and JurassicMax like this.