Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza News 2021

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by KevinB, 18 Jan 2021.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to a recent Facebook post by Pairi Daiza Garik and Frosya are getting along well with Thor, Petruska and Ninotska, sometimes spend time in the same pool now and are slowly having more contact each day. It is hoped Tanya and Floki will also join them later.

Pairi Daiza NL

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great news! I'm glad there'll be more flexibility in managing the herd from now on :) I saw everyone minus Tania and Floki together yesterday.

The next couple of years are going to be very interesting within the European walrus population.

Kifaru Bwana and KevinB like this.
  3. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is the Golden-winged magnificent Bird-of-paradise housed in Tropicalia?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. KevinB

Yes, in one of the three sets of separate aviaries in Tropicalia. The other two aviary sets house Greater (of which several individuals are also housed free-ranging in the main part of Tropicalia) and Lesser bird of paradise, both of which I saw.

I also quickly saw an aracari (not sure what kind though) in one of the back aviaries behind the golden-winged bird of paradise aviary, possibly one of the aracaris that used to live in a space in the Oasis, before they removed the aracaris from that area, possibly to open up the plastic flaps closing it off because of Covid. The area is now the "main hub" for a pair of blue-and-gold macaws housed free-ranging in the Oasis.

Also, a golden-cheeked gibbon was born at Pairi Daiza last Sunday.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2021
    Jogy, Kifaru Bwana and twilighter like this.
  5. migdog

Great thanks, I didn't see a sign for it yesterday. Thanks also for the photos of the marmot and porcupine exhibit - if it wasn't for those we wouldn't even know about this exhibit and gives us a good reason to go into the hotel today :)

KevinB likes this.
  6. KevinB

It is of course possible the species is unfortunately not there anymore, although ZTL still lists the species.

The marmot/porcupine exhibit isn't anything super special, but it is still nice to see.

Enjoy your visit at Pairi Daiza.

migdog likes this.
  7. migdog

We visited Tropicalia and saw two male Golden-winged magnificent Bird-of-paradise, both housed in the aviaries on the right hand side just before the exit (opposite the lesser Bird of Paradise). It was pretty quiet in the tropical house at the time, and about a minute after spotting them both, they disappeared and we didn't see them again. Also managed to spot two Javan Pond herons.

Kifaru Bwana and KevinB like this.
  8. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Black bear arrived from Zie-Zoo. Im sure someone could give better details.

TNT and Gorilla Gust like this.
  9. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

The young female Manon has arrived from
    ZieZoo (1.1 remains in ZieZoo). The males from Pairi Daiza are castrated. New young bears aren't planned for the moment.

10. KevinB

Jogy and JurassicMax like this.
  11. PossumRoach

0.2 musk oxen arrived from Krefeld. They are in what was the wapiti enclosure. The wapiti are geting moved to another enclosure.

12. Gorilla Gust

I have brought the new inhabitants already a visit, a beautiful specie for this exhibit. :)

twilighter, JurassicMax and PicanBird like this.
  13. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw some photos of them that Paira Daiza put up, they appeared to have broken through from part of the enclosure to the next, as in some photos you could see very buckled/damaged wires in the fencing and the animals looking through.

DelacoursLangur likes this.
  14. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

I'd expected more foliage though as we know Muskox do need shade/cool areas to thrive! Any idea where the wapiti are heading?

15. KevinB

The backside of the exhibit does have some shading, as do some other parts around the edge of the exhibit, depending on time of day and year. And there is a water area as well.

The wapitis are not in this exhibit anymore, they have been moved to another exhibit, although they haven't yet announced which one (I suspect the new exhibit between The Last Frontier and the raptor aviaries).

Last edited: 16 Oct 2021
    Kifaru Bwana and Gorilla Gust like this.
  16. Gorilla Gust

On friday both exhibits were open, one gate wasn't fenced.

This exhibit is quite shaded in the back (leftside), not on the grass. But they have also always acces to an outdoor stable (on the right in the video).

17. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Yea knew about the moving, but a new enclosure between TLF and raptor aviaries? idk didnt know they added one. Nice. Welp too bad about the shading, cause summertime the muskox will suffer for sure.

18. KevinB

Here are some pictures of the new exhibit I mentioned:
    New exhibit between The Last Frontier and the raptor aviaries, 2021-09-02 - ZooChat
    New exhibit between The Last Frontier and the raptor aviaries, 2021-09-02 - ZooChat
    New exhibit between The Last Frontier and the raptor aviaries, 2021-09-03 - ZooChat
    Newly finished viewing area for new exhibit between The Last Frontier and the raptor aviaries, 2021-09-03 - ZooChat

I agree that a shelter or shade structure in the large open grassy area would be appropriate for the musk oxes.

PicanBird, PossumRoach and twilighter like this.
  19. PossumRoach

So I forgot to mention that a male musk ox did arrive a few days ago from Sweden.

I also have a question about the koala. ZTL lists them as in PD but the koala house is closed and PD's website doesn't list koalas in the animal list of the southern cape. It seems that the park isn't having a good time with koalas.

JurassicMax likes this.
  20. KevinB

There are definitely not. The last koala died earlier this year, and so far unfortunately all the koalas they got (actually from Australia, not the European breeding program) have passed away within a couple of years.

Honestly, personally I think they should give up on koalas in this building and convert it and the adjacent outdoor space to a house for tree kangaroos and small ground dwelling marsupials like bettongs and pademelons.

TNT, PossumRoach, JurassicMax and 3 others like this.