Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza News 2022

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by GreatApeFan7, 3 Jan 2022.

1. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Honestly, rathern than abandoning the walk-through habitat model I'd much prefer a facemask zone policy where in certain habitats you'd must put on your mask or see the animals from outside, putting staff at the entrance, inside and at the exit of said habitats to ensure the policy is respected; this for all zoos btw, not just Pairi

2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With regards to avian influenza placing mats or baths with desinfecting solutions for shoes and wheels of carriages and wheelchairs would be much more effective than mandating masks, given the way avian influenza can spreak and the low chance of avian influenza transmission to humans. I do agree masks might be a good idea for primate walk-throughs, especially during times when respiratory viruses have an increased presence in human populations.

That said, having to always have staff or volunteers presents is not an easy or cheap option - and willingness to do these jobs might also not be very high given the confrontational or even aggressive behavior some visitors might resort to when told what to do.

Doing away with walk-through bird exhibits and going for separated viewing areas, a route some (Dutch) zoos are taking, might be an easier and/or cheaper solution sometimes.

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Were those pelicans kept in an aviary or in open pen?

4. KevinB

In June the pelicans were still in the Australian walk-through aviary, but by September they had returned to the open Australian mixed exhibit near water.

5. Penshet

Penshet Well-Known Member

In an open pen, with access to a small part of the lake.

6. KevinB

A Cape buffalo calf was born on November 2nd, Pairi Daiza now has 10 Cape buffaloes.

登录 Facebook

Bengal Tiger and Fallax like this.
  7. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

We are visiting Pairi Daiza from the UK next weekend and I was just wondering if anyone has any hints and tips or recent information we should be aware of?

8. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Given the winter opening hours, you will *not* be able to get around the whole place properly in a single day; as such, before I give any advice it might be best for you to a) clarify whether you are visiting for one day or multiple and b) if the former, what the biggest priorities for you are?

9. KevinB

Unfortunately the bird areas and the entire Australian area will likely still be closed due to a recent avian influenza case with the park's pelicans. As far as I have understood this includes the cathedral aviary and the greenhouses.

10. RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee Member

I was going to say exactly the same, PD is not doable in only one day if you want to see everything or at least have an overall walkthough of the place.

What I would suggest you is the same I did : download the map of the park on their website and then indicate the exhibits/species you want to see in priority.

PD keeps some unique rarities in Europe and also shows quite architecturally impressive enclosures so don't miss what you won't be able to find in other zoos in the UK.

11. RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee Member

Then, this may not be the best time to visit... Many rarities are kept in those aviaries, namely the birds of paradise, cuscus, amazons etc... and the Australian area is one of PD's strenghts in my opinion.

12. TeaLovingDave

Ironically, this will make things a lot easier - but less fulfilling - for Zia, given the vast majority of the top-end species at the collection are displayed within those areas of the zoo, and therefore a large chunk of required-visit-time will be omitted.

13. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

2 days - arrive on Friday, leave on Saturday. Probably more like 1.5 taking into account possible delays while travelling.

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  14. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Disappointing to hear the Australian area will likely be closed but such is life - we are staying in the resort and it is all booked so we'll be going regardless and I'm sure it will still be great :)

15. TeaLovingDave

In that case, given the additional information about closures within the various greenhouses and other bird walkthroughs, you should have few (if any) problems getting around the place!

Odds and ends of advice:

• You may want to consider bringing food with you to eat at the zoo; not only are the food stands and restaurants pretty extortionately-priced even by the standards of zoo food, but during the low season a LOT of them are closed or have very limited opening hours. Moreover, literally one of only two occasions I have encountered overt Anglophobic treatment at a zoo was when getting food at Pairi Daiza in 2019 :p
    • If you are squeamish or dislike morbid subjects, avoid the Crypt and the Aquarium - both contain a variety of human remains, displayed in a theatrical and distasteful "19th century horror house" style.
    • Although the parrot breeding centre is not open to the public, there *is* a viewing window into part of the facilities which at the time of my recent visit in September 2022 contained a pair of hatchling Spix Macaws; given the fact that the adult birds on-display close to the entrance are quite timid, spend most of their time in the off-display indoor housing, and when outside usually remain high up and difficult to see, these juveniles may be your best bet for getting decent views of the species if still present.

16. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Just read your all booked

Last edited: 13 Nov 2022
  17. Jogy

Jogy Well-Known Member

As you're staying at the resort you'll already have an experience from that - a bit depending with which animal you're staying with. I've stayed with polar bear, walrus and several times with the tigers already and all of the stays were impressive. But also the other one's look great and we're also going to get to know them over time...

I personally really like almost all everything at Pairi Daiza - however the two latest worlds 'land of cold' with the tigers, polar bears, penguins and walrusses and 'the last frontier' with its huge bear enclosures plus the impressive stellar sea lions and the puma cubs which they currently have stand a little bit out for me.
    When staying at the resort you're free to walk around in these two areas at any time - what especially in summer extends the opening hours and on busy days gives you the feeling to have park almost for your own.

For residents the entire park opens 1 hour earlier than the offical opening hours - that extends your daylight time on Saturday a bit.

I love animals but Pairi Daiza is more than just a zoo - it is a world of its own with wonderful gardens and plants, architecture, geology and culture - I therefore also really like to walk around the many hidden paths in the the older part of the park, the chinese garden, the rice terrace,... - you always find nice new views and places.

Enjoy your stay!

18. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just to add a couple of extra notes from my visit in early October:

There was some building work going on near the Spix and Lear's aviaries, both species seemed extra timid with the Spix barely visible despite numerous visits over 2 days. Youngsters in the breeding centre were very visible however.

If you get in as soon as you can and run you might be able to pick up the walrus feed at 1000, then penguins at 1030.

Land train isn't essential but is interesting.

A cup of tea in the tea house may very much be needed during the chaos.

Don't forget to visit the toilets wherever possible. They're all insane.

Try and wrangle your way into the restaurant in the reptile house, there were mudpuppy and Chinese giant salamander on display there which otherwise weren't viewable.

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Spix seem to behave rather differently to most parrots. They do seem to spend a lot of time in their indoor flight where you can hear but not see them. When they do come out they mostly cling to the mesh very high up- it doesn't help that that the heavy mesh and looking upward toward the sun/light both also make viewing them even more difficult. I don't think they are actually timid though- most of them were handraised and when a keeper entered, they came down low and he fed them by hand. Those were the best views I had of them, though they seemed more visible the 2nd day, though the weather was the same on both.

20. TeaLovingDave

Damn, I wish I'd realised that - it's been well over a decade since I last saw mudpuppy!