Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Pairi Daiza to get giant pandas

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by kiang, 11 Sep 2013.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Shirokuma, I agree on this one! Theming at P.D. in my opinion is somewhat over the top …! Whereas I like / remain a fan of both Erlebniszoo Hannover and Burger's Zoo, I find at least at P.D. not all exhibits to my very liking from an animal welfare standards point of view. Also, I quite like to see whether they achieve similar breeding results as f.i. Planckendael or Zoo Anvers do!

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The giant pandas will arrive in Belgium on 23/2/14

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With pairs in Edinburgh, Beauval France and now here, there should be the opportunity in the future to try changing around animals should they fail to breed with their current partners.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

would they be allowed to do that though?

5. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. It would be if the Chinese authorities were seriously concerned about panda conservation.

Any information about the enclosure anywhere?

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

well not really, because the individual pandas themselves aren't there for conservation, the money gained from them being there is (ostensibly). The pandas breeding overseas does mean more money for the Chinese end (the zoos have to pay more again if the pandas increase their number) but otherwise they've got no real reason to allow the zoos to swap pandas around, especially as they have hand-picked which individual pandas go to which individual zoos.

At the very least the zoos would have to seek China's approval for any movements and they couldn't do a darn thing if China refused.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The 2 Giant pandas are landed in Belgium and are on their way to Pairi Daiza.

8. Shirokuma

9. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

All very true. If the Chinese vetoed it, it couldn't happen. I don't think anything like that has happened either among the four(?) Zoos with Pandas in the USA- I believe they breed at two of them (San Diego & Washington) or possibly three (Atlanta?), but not at the fourth (Memphis?) but no exchange has ever happened.

If all these three Zoos in Europe failed to breed from them they might be so desperate to produce a cub that they applied to the Chinese to do this- however it would be very much in the future, I'm sure, and AI would be repeatedly tried first in the absence of pregnancies from natural matings.

11. Sneeuwpanter

Sneeuwpanter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

When will the other enclosures be ready ?

12. Shirokuma

The theming is very beautiful - although I don't like this kind of theming, it's too close to human zoos and exoticisation of other cultures for my tastes.

However the landscaping of the enclosures seem a bit plain in comparison.

13. montagne14

montagne14 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I was planning a visit this sunday to go see the giant pandas, but I read in the newspaper that the zoo will only let in so many people (18.000 I think it was). Is it really that busy in the park since the pandas are there, and will I be able to see them through the crowd? I really don't want to be driving for three hours and then not be able to go in the park.

14. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thought people might be interested in seeing this, prices as at sept last year.

Attached Files:

15. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Upcoming weekend is the first weekend it is open for 2014 so yes it will be crowded. My advice is to wait a couple of weeks and then visit the park. Although the weather predictions are not too good so that would limit the amount of visitors.