Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo "Pale Capuchins"

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sooty mangabey, 22 May 2016.

1. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

In the 1959 Annual Report for the ZSL, a new species is listed as having arrived in the collection: the Pale Capuchin, Cebus apella pallidus.

I canot find any conclusive confirmation of what this species is; nothing is listed by that name in the various sources to which I have referred. Does anyone have any ideas what they would have been? Many thanks, in advance.

2. Tea_and_Biology

Tea_and_Biology Active Member 5+ year member

Hey! Lurker visiting daily for about six/seven years, finally making an account just to answer this...

It's the Large-Headed Capuchin (Sapajus macrocephalus). Or rather, a subspecies thereof, found to the South of the Rio Madre de Dios and along the right bank of the Rio Inamabari.

Source here.

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I'm very grateful that you did make an account to answer this question. Capuchin taxonomy is quite headache-giving. Your help is gratefully received!

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Always a pleasure to greet another afficionado of Camellia sinensis :) I hope that you consider sticking around; by and large, we have a very nice little community here and another viewpoint is always welcome!