Join our zoo community

Wellington Zoo pandas for New Zealand?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 23 Jun 2010.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Bid to bring pandas to NZ - Yahoo!Xtra News
    I'll believe it when I see it....

2. Chlidonias

Secret talks to bring pandas to New Zealand | Stuff.co.nz
    I'll even more believe a straight kiwi-for-panda swap when I see that!!!

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

This leads me to the question "are pandas worth it?". Adelaide seems to have been very quiet about their pair. I wonder if there is any news on whether there hads been a major increase in visitor numbers there.

4. Tygo

Tygo Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pandas have been to New Zealand before to Auckland Zoo in 1988 and number of guests did increase.:)

5. Chlidonias

two weeks ago there was a press statement saying that there had been a 70% increase in visitor numbers due to the pandas (its posted on the relevant Adelaide Zoo thread)

6. Chlidonias

those two pandas (as you know :)) came to Auckland for just three months after similarly-lengthed stays in Melbourne and Sydney. Over 300,000 visitors came to Auckland Zoo during those three months, most of which was no doubt due to the pandas' presence. There's no denying that visitor numbers will increase dramatically because everyone loves big cuddly animals, pandas more than most, but whether it will recoup the initial outlay and lending fees over the long term is the big question, especially given NZ's tiny population base.

7. Chlidonias

Radio New Zealand News : Stories : 2010 : 06 : 23 : Wellington Zoo may get giant pandas
    I would love giant pandas to come to NZ. I'm not one of those fanatical panda-lovers but I'd go up to see them, however I really can't see this happening. As suggested by the section I highlighted in the above quote, it would be a majorly-expensive undertaking for the zoo to get in the pandas and you'd probably have to assume it would take room away from current (and probably proposed future) exhibits

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is early days but the pair of giant pandas at the Adelaide Zoo have been a money-making machine ever since they arrived. If they successfully breed then obtaining pandas will be the greatest thing that the Adelaide Zoo will ever be known for. The costs are huge but the financial payoff can potentially be enormous.

9. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chlidonias - did the Wellington Zoo spokesperson really say that "nothing's in black and white"? In a comment about Giant Pandas? lol

10. Chlidonias

on the link for post #7 there's a very interesting audio track for the radio news bulletin. No-one on it said "nothing's in black and white" :D

The Zoo's Chief Executive Dr. Chris West did say that projected benefits for the period of the ten-year loan would amount to 800 million dollars! (To which I would say, "um, yeah right!")

Last edited: 24 Jun 2010
  11. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Post #7 and post #8 - last paragraph of broadcast transcript.

12. Chlidonias

now just post #7 :D

I can't see where to get a transcript for the broadcast, or do you just mean the short quote I posted from the page? On the actual audio track I didn't hear anyone say "nothing's in black and white yet"

13. Chlidonias

predictably, the animal-rights lot have come out in protest over the idea (SAFE is an acronym for Save Animals From Exploitation)
    Panda deal nothing more than a gimmick - SAFE - Story - Environment/Sci - 3 News

14. Chlidonias

Isay: Should Hamilton go for pandas too? | Stuff.co.nz

15. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Money which goes back to China, part of it at least. The "rental fees" which China has been earning from loaning out pandas have been a significant contribution to their in-situ conservation programs.

That said, panda rentals are ultimately politically-driven rather than motivated by conservation.

China's Panda Diplomacy: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_diplomacy]Panda diplomacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

16. Chlidonias

animal-rights groups are never very strong on finding out facts before opening their mouths ;)

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Panda's were offered to Auckland first and may still end up there.....

Aucklanders are likely to lose out to Wellington in housing giant pandas at the zoo because Auckland Zoo turned up its nose at Prime Minister John Key's offer to broker a panda deal with China.

Auckland Zoo was offered first dibs on housing the two giant pandas Key hoped to rent from the Chinese government, but the zoo declined because "black and white pandas are not in our collection plan".

Key says long before Wellington mayor Kerry Prendergast's announcement last week that she wanted a pair of the endangered bears for Wellington Zoo, he had had the same idea, but was thinking of acquiring them for Auckland Zoo because the larger city had better odds of recouping the high cost of keeping the crowd-pleasing bears.

Visitor numbers at Adelaide Zoo in Australia have leapt by 70% in the six months since it acquired a pair of pandas.

But Key told the Sunday Star-Times that when Auckland Zoo was approached by the government, the response was lukewarm.

"There was some initial discussion with people, who didn't say no, but they certainly didn't say yes.

"I was a little surprised – I thought they would have leapt at the opportunity."

Key said he had gone public about his "panda diplomacy" only because Prendergast has forced his hand.

He added that while Wellington "certainly looked keener than Auckland", no decision had been made about where in the country the pandas might end up and it was still uncertain whether China would even agree to lend the bears.

An Auckland Zoo source was unable to confirm if the zoo had been approached about taking on pandas and said the zoo had ruled it neither in nor out.

However, pandas were not a "species priority" for Auckland Zoo. Instead Auckland Zoo had a focus on orang-utans, Sumatran tigers, Asian elephants and New Zealand native species.

Pandas will be on the agenda when Key visits China next month and he hopes New Zealand may have pandas by the end of 2012.

He also hopes to negotiate a better price than the $1.4 million China charges zoos each year of the 10-year loan, perhaps by offering some kiwi in return.

In February China stopped lending pandas to American zoos and repatriated a young panda from Washington's National Zoo, moves that some observers said demonstrated China's displeasure at US foreign policy, and especially a meeting between President Barack Obama and exiled Tibetan leader the Dalai Lama.

Ad Feedback Key said he wouldn't respond to any sort of panda pressure from China.

"We wouldn't trade our views on foreign policy for pandas.

"We would always reserve the right to see the Dalai Lama if we want to."

18. Chlidonias

I really don't know why Key is so dead keen on getting pandas. He must just really like them for personal reasons, and he seems surprised that the zoos aren't jumping up and down with excitement. He obviously (but not surprisingly, being a politician not a zoo junky) has no idea of zoo collection plans, biosecurity assessments, or even how Chinese panda dealings work.

I've been musing over the idea and while I still don't think its likely (but I hope to be wrong :D) it could well happen. China is anxious to enhance its connection with New Zealand politically and in trade-matters, and pandas could be seen as a part of that and they may be able to be swayed on modifying the standard deal. I figure the NZ government will stump up for the loan fees, given that its Key pushing for it, and likewise given that the Wellington Council spokespeople seem to think it will reap great rewards for the city then they may well provide additional funds for the building of the enclosure. If those possibiilities do pan out then the zoo is basically just paying the cost of feeding them once they're here.

That's all very simplified of course, but....maybe the pandas will be turning up on our shores in a couple of years.

Note: all of the above post is just my own conjecture. Not to be taken as fact.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2015
  19. Chlidonias

Giant pandas too expensive for zoo | Stuff.co.nz
    "If I was to look at it purely from a financial business plan question, whether we could get enough extra business to pay for it, New Zealand is probably not a big enough population to sustain a cost of pandas over a long-term period." = exactly what I was saying earlier, lol

20. Chlidonias

Prime Minister John Key is in South Korea at the moment on a political junket. Seeing he's so dead set on getting pandas from China its strange that he's not also trying to get a pair of long-tailed gorals (Naemorhedus caudatus), designated as South Korean natural monument #217 according to Wikipedia
    :D :D

(or even better, a pair of Chinese striped hamsters Cricetulus barabensis!!!)