Join our zoo community

Pangolin12’s Netherlands trip 2019

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by pangolin12, 7 Jul 2019.

1. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Where is the best place in the ape house at Krefeld to view Gambian epaulettes bat?

2. pangolin12

And also where is the best place to see northern sugar glider in the monkey house at artis?

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Midnight :p

pangolin12 likes this.
  4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That one has always been nearly impossible and might not even be kept anymore...

5. pangolin12

:p

thanks, we’re they/it ever actually confirmed to be subspecies Ariel?

6. Choco115

Choco115 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was in Artis two days ago, but there wasn’t a sign of them, and I also didn’t saw them

7. pangolin12

After contacting the zoo, I can confirm that they still hold northern sugar glider and that they are in the ‘little mammal house’ in the middle of the zoo.

(Is the little mammal house the monkey house?)

8. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They mean the small mammal house, where the mouse lemurs, otters, fennec, margay and most of the marmosets are (among others).

The monkey house is where the saki’s and stuff are, different building.

pangolin12 likes this.
  9. lintworm

Look up, they are high up in the trees, I remember them close to the Gorilla and Chimp enclosures.

As to a species list for Cologne terrarium and aquarium, impossible for the aquarium and @snowleopard posted the list for reptiles and amphibians if I remember correctly.

snowleopard and pangolin12 like this.
  10. pangolin12

Thanks, is the signage bad in the aquarium?

11. lintworm

For an aquarium pretty good, but that means partly outdated. The zoo is recently focusing more and more on endangered species in yhe freshwater section, so quite some changes in a short time...

pangolin12 likes this.
  12. pangolin12

Prologue:
    Today is the first day of my Netherlands trip, well, technically not. I am currently travelling to new forest reptile centre, obviously not driving and writing:p. If my family, who are visiting the Netherlands also, didn’t have friends in Worthing then I’d be off to pairi tomorrow, but of course my family had to visit. I have already visited British wildlife centre and new forest wildlife centre so I wanted to find somewhere new. Expect a new forest review along with the 16 other collections:)

Brum and Maguari like this.
  13. pangolin12

New forest reptile centre
    We drove up the dusty track to the new forest reptile centre with mixed expectations. On arrival we found 8 ‘pods’ each with native snakes, lizards, frogs and toads. The species went as listed (unseen species in italics)
    Pod 1: natterjack toad, slow worm, common frog, common lizard
    Pod 2: natterjack toad
    Pod 3: common toad
    Pod 4: green frog
    Pod 5: sand lizard
    Pod 6: grass snake
    Pod 7: smooth snake
    Pod 8: adder
    The adders had young which showed nicely and I finally found a slow worm after a long time trying:)

Brum likes this.
  14. pangolin12

Prologue
    This time it’s real! I’m writing this while I am travelling to pairi daiza. First we arrived in Folkestone to catch the euro tunnel to Calais and I couldn’t hold my excitement! 40 minutes later and we arrived in the currently rainy country of France. Now I just have to sit another painstaking 90 minutes to get to pairi and hope it brightens up.

Choco115, FunkyGibbon and Brum like this.
  15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Good luck in the best zoo of Europe! :)

pangolin12 likes this.
  16. pangolin12

Pairi daiza!
    We parked our car in the giant yet cramped car park to find upon entry a security check. I’ve never seen this in a zoo before. After this, we bought our tickets at the extortionate price of €112 for the 3 of us plus €8 parking! I will split my review into the ‘worlds’
    Cambron abbey
    The first exhibit upon entry is a nice little petting zoo with a very friendly goat that likes shoelaces and free roaming sheep, ducks, rabbits and different breeds of rock dove. The next exhibit I visited was the macaws, the highlight of the trip so far. I’ve always dreamed of seeing spix’s macaw ever since watching Rio years ago! There were 2 close to the fencing and 4 up high, a hard exhibit for photos I must add. As @lintworm mentioned in his pairi review, the oasis, which was next, can be commonly mistaken for just a restaurant. However, as you enter through the araçari walkthrough from the restaurant you can view bear cuscus, very active and strange yet friendly, coming up to nosey the visitors:). After passing many aviaries you come to the next key highlight, St Lucia and st Vincent amazons in adjacent aviaries to each other! Pairi is a zoo where it is so big and crammed with stuff that everything merges into a big pairi mess, so I’ll just talk about the key highlights with key species listed below each ‘world’
    Key species for Cambron abbey:
    Spix’s macaw
    St Vincent amazon
    St Lucia Amazon
    Bear cuscus
    Bulwers pheasant
    Long crested eagle

More on pairi later. It’s getting late:p

Choco115 and Brum like this.
  17. pangolin12

The Middle Kingdom
    This area suffers from the overtheming. It is still a great part of the zoo however. Main highlights include a small tropical house with greater and lesser BoPs inside, a koi touch pool surrounded by giant salamanders and Chinese alligators, great views of the area from the temple, a ginormous aviary filled with waterfowl and some very nosey seriemas and a giant panda ‘cave’ which suffers from crowdso_O. Key species include:
    Birds of paradise
    Giant salamander
    Black naped oriole
    Golden takin
    Bharal

18. pangolin12

Southern cape
    The second smallest ‘world’. You first enter through a walk through aviary which will soon house little penguins! You then enter a pelican, kangaroo and wallaby walkthrough which also contains a small mine. Next is a cassowary exhibit surrounded by hundreds of tree ferns which leads to the Tasmanian devil exhibit, which is in front of a wallaby enclosure. It’s times like these when you start to wonder if the wallabies know that if they jump over the moat then they are a yummy snack:p. Finally, there is a koala house containing some New South Wales koala, brush tailed bettong and potoroos. The koalas were particularly exciting because it completed my set of all 3 subspecies.
    Key species/ subspecies:
    New South Wales koala
    Tasmanian devil
    Brush tailed bettong
    Brush turkey

Quick question: why aren’t the wombats in the Australian area? A perfect idea would be to cut a part of the kangaroo walkthrough out and put burrow viewing in the mine.

Brum likes this.
  19. pangolin12

Land of the origins
    This area contains the infamous ‘gorilla volcanoes’, one of which has a panel that is shattered into millions of pieces and covered in a black material. It also contains a beautiful lemur walkthrough which gives the lemurs plenty of privacy in the forest zone yet a chance to be inquisitive in the village zone. Most of the enclosures in the land of the origins are plain and boring which is unlike pairi. Except for that darn plane:mad::mad:!!! I read on @lintworm s review about an appalling leopard exhibit which is either gone or something I missed as my route skipped the cheetah section between this world and the kingdom of ganesha.
    Key species:
    Shoebill
    Openbill stork

20. lintworm

That appalling enclosure still exists and is located at the rop viewing of the Lions and Hyena. It should currently keep 2 lions.