Join our zoo community

Paradise Park Paradise Park Review 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by gentle lemur, 2 Jun 2015.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Update 3rd July 2016

Visited again today. There have been a few developments since last year; an extension to the red panda enclosure looks to be approaching completion and a new ground hornbill aviary beside it has been started.
    Some birds have been moved around, there are pairs of Buffon's and green-winged macaws and Goffin's cockatoos in the walled garden: the Philippine cockatoo (just one now, I think) and the blue-throated conures have been moved and I glimpsed a hyacinthine macaw in an off-show aviary.
    Last year's young birds included 5 grey-breasted conures, 4 scarlet and 1 military macaws and 4 very playful Duivenbode's lories which were doing a very good job of simultaneously entertaining and annoying their keeper, who was trying to sweep their aviary and refill their food bowls. We had a quick conversation about our fondness for this species and she told me that the old pair on the other side of the garden are their grandparents, but do not share their amiable temperament.
    This year's young birds include 2 Palawan peacock pheasants and at least one satyr tragopan and a tiny purple gallinule, all being reared by their parents. Plus several hooded parakeets, 2 blue-throated macaws shown on CCTV from their nestbox (apparently almost fully feathered) and a citron-crested cockatoo chick which was having a good look at the world from the pop-hole of its nestbox - and there may well have been more inside. Several other nestboxes were intriguingly noisy and I am sure more young birds will appear over the next few weeks.
    My only disappointment was that the sun shone almost unremittingly; a few of the forecast clouds did appear, but almost all of them managed to avoid diffusing the sunshine even if they passed very close to the sun, which was a real trial when I wanted to avoid shadows from the aviary mesh spoiling my photos. However I have one or two images which will bolster Hayle's section in the Gallery eventually.

Alan

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

It would appear that according to zootierliste they now keep the following

ZootierlisteHomepage
    ZootierlisteHomepage
    ZootierlisteHomepage
    ZootierlisteHomepage

I am guessing that none of these are there and have never been,in fact I will eat my hat if I see just 1 of the species I have listed,when I visit later this year but suspect I am on a safe bet,as I know that somebody has suffered an extreme senior moment and got Paradise Park (Hayle) confused with Paradise Wildlife Park(Broxbourne).Which is just a pity that that a superb site is spoilt by facts like this by letting anyone edit it!!!!

3. gentle lemur

I didn't see anything of these reptiles. I think they do have a single python (or perhaps it's a boa), but I was in bird mode during my visit so I didn't bother to look.
    I'm sure that zg's explanation is correct. Someone has got their Paradises in a twist - maybe they overimbibed on an old batch of the lorikeet's nectar :rolleyes:

Alan

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. gentle lemur

A nice little piece. I did see this chick briefly, but I could not get a photo. It was so tiny and obviously newly hatched that I decided not to mention it in my earlier post.

Alan

6. vogelcommando

7. vogelcommando

8. vogelcommando

9. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

Also a pair of Abyssinian Ground Hornbills have moved into their new aviary. I was only here a week ago and saw the empty aviary. Shame I missed them.

10. vogelcommando

11. vogelcommando

12. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

14. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member