Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Paradisio News 2010

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by forumbully, 14 Mar 2010.

1. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

4 weeks nothing posted in Belgian topics?
    THIS I've got to change.

So what's up with paradisio?
    First of all, there are rumours about a change of name for the park.
    Pairi Daiza is said to be suggested as a new name. It's Persian for "closed garden" and when pronounced, you do hear the basis for the word paradise (which in the bible was a closed garden) in it. Either way, I understand there is still some discussion going on in the park about a new name. Personally, I don't like it.

And what else is new?
    Constructions and a lot of them.

An overview of construction sites
    - ricefields of ganesha ganesha
    - L'amfitheatre: bird of prey demos
    - the mersus emergo has a new snake display like Randers, but with a touch of "far west"
    - Construction of a new restaurant
    - the kids zone
    - le moulin, the old watermill
    - They've started small constructionwork on the "billabong" but due to delays in permits, there hasn't been much work done.

It's very doubtful that all of this will be finished by the opening on April 3rd.
    But either way, they're not standing still over there.

2. forumbully

this was the opening weekend for season 2010.
    The new name is indeed a fact: Pairi Daiza, allthough the change will go slowly, over several years. The logo is already visible near the entrance, on some souvenirs and on the staffs outfits.

As mentioned above: a lot of work is being done. Ricefields should be functional in june-july. new audience stands for the birds of prey demo. A walk through farmhouse with freeroaming cornsnakes in the "mersus emergo". and still a lot of work being done on the old watermill, the chinese garden and the "billabong".

Also a few births to report:
    - 1 siamang, the previous offspring is still with the parents, but this seems to go great
    - 5 ring tailed lemurs: twins and triplets
    - 8 pelicans
    - 4 keas
    - 3 harris hawks
    - 2 meerkats
    - 1 buffalo
    - 1 squirrel monkey

3. forumbully

meanwhile, construction also started on the savannah. at the moment, only the giraffes, austriches, marabou and saddlebilled storks are visible.

around the billabong, literally hundreds of treeferns are waiting to be planted. The australian zone promises to become something out of the extraordinary. let's hope they do get those tasmanian devils.

all other constructionwork in the post above is still going on. allthough the ricefields look nearly finished.

Basically, everywhere you go in the park, they're doing some construction work.

meanwhile the animals are doing great.
    births in april and may:
    - waterbuffalo (asian)
    - whitebacked vulture
    - rüppels vulture
    - black vulture
    - bald eagle
    -(yet another) pelican
    - stork (hand reared this time)

a few new arrivals:
    the sloth finally has company and 9 coconutcrabs occupie an exhibit in the crypt (together with a group of fruit bats)

4. forumbully

new arrival for next saturday: African elephant Suzy is moving from Parc Harry Malter to Pairi Daiza.

She will temporary be housed with the asian elephants currently in the parc, awaiting a new enclosure and other african elephants on the savannah (now under construction)

5. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting, thanks for the news.

Is there any hope for more shoebill chicks?

6. forumbully

In pairi daiza? it looks doubtful.
    the new male is an imprint bird (brought in as a chick)
    he gets along fine with the female, but so far he's not interested in mating.

7. RubyCrow

RubyCrow New Member

Hi,

Greetings from Singapore.

Does anyone have the contacts to the person caring for birds in Pairi Daiza?

I am from Jurong Bird Park, Singapore and we seeking infomation on the breeding of Shoebill Stork, Balaeniceps rex.

Thank you

Regards
    angelin

8. forumbully

Hello Angelin,

Yes I do, I'll send you a PM (don't like to put peoples contact information on a public site)

9. RubyCrow

RubyCrow New Member

I've received your PM, Thank you :)

Pleased to meet you too.

10. forumbully

Haven't posted here in ages.
    the park is closed for the winter now, I'll give you a quick update on what happened

- they constructed real ricefields with real rice. plan is to have an new "crop" every year around may-june.
    - construction and reconstruction of several historical sites. the watermill is being restored, inside will be a restaurant. they're also reconstructing the brewery next to it. but first a team of archeologists is working to uncover its basements.
    - work finally started on the billabong, the australian zone. it's going to be big, ranging from the squirrelmonkey island to the secretary bird aviary (this will be torn down for it)
    should house several kangourou species, an aviary and if all goes well: tasmanian devils.
    if the wheather allows it, it will be open for the start of season 2011
    - construction of a replica of the oldest teahouse of shanghai as well as a new chinese restaurant. should also open 2011
    - arrival of african elephant suzy. she has visual contact with the asian herd, but is housed separately.

that about wraps it up, I think.
    a sneak peak of 2011
    - More elephants are expected both asian and african. no details on names and dates.
    - a new and rare species is expected for the chinese garden (no, it's not black and white)
    -2011 construction should also start on the african savannah.

11. Selma05

Selma05 Member

According to two different websites, asian elephant Sayda (54 years old) from Memleben Zoo in Germany moved to Pairi Daiza . On the homepage of Memleben Zoo it is confirmed that the elephant has left on the 20th of september 2010. However, it does not say where to.

12. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Saida is definetely NOT in Pairi Daiza.

13. forumbully

what lintworm says and confirmed by pairi daiza itself last sunday.
    no elephants have arrived in the park in the last few months.

This year only Asian male Po chin and african female Suzy have arrived.

14. Selma05

Selma05 Member

I thought that the information about Sayda might be wrong. Why should Pairi Daiza acquire such an old elephant when they want to build up a breeding herd? But I wonder where Sayda went then? It is strange that Memleben does not communicate where she went to.