Join our zoo community

Le Parc des Félins Parc des Felins news

Discussion in 'France' started by kiang, 5 Jul 2009.

1. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agree with you @Dassie rat. In my opinion the second park based on primates was already an error and I was hoping something more in relation with cats conservation or, at least, on carnivores.

Regarding cat species missing, not sure marbled cat could be a target but iberian lynx and north chinese leopard could for sure.

Mo Hassan likes this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

YES, YES, YES! I will be in heaven. Too bad the timeline will likely take it into 2023, because I have tentative plans to visit in September 2022. (About an hour ago I did my annual bid at work for next year's vacation and I got two weeks in February which will likely be Spain and a week and a half in September which could be France and possibly Belgium).

kermodei and Antoine like this.
  3. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In my honest opinion an African Leopard would be a better choice than a NC leopard

4. Antoine

Why ? Cause here we don't have african leopards (which are not endangered) but just hybrids.

5. Marco Penello

Marco Penello Well-Known Member 5+ year member

African leopard would be a complete no sense; no conservation value and all hybrids in European zoos (luckily in constant decrease...). The NC leopard indeed is a way more endangered subspecies and there is a running EEP in the EAZA which needs holders and effort.

arafan and Antoine like this.
  6. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

If you somehow manage to get an actual one, I’m all ears with that idea. However, based on how there aren’t any pure specimens as far as I know, I think NC is a better option. An Iberian Lynx would also be a sight to behold, but you’d need to convince the Spanish government to send some over to France.

7. Arizona Docent

The Spanish government has already sent some over to France. See post 17 and following in this thread: Natur'zoo de Mervent [Natur'zoo de Mervent] - ZooChat

Randomname0183 likes this.
  8. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the input! I was unaware that they had already been exported in the past. However, I assume they are older specimens who wouldn’t contribute to a breeding program, right?

Arizona Docent likes this.
  9. Antoine

It's half part right here as the animals will not contribute anymore and one is a old female (with her son).

10. Antoine

The park received at the beginning of the month a three years old withe male south east african lion (origine unknown) called Tankwa. He will be the new breeding male for Aline, Sabie et Sihreni. The old male, 17 years old Punky, is now retired and visible in an other enclosure with other lionesses.

Parcs Zoologiques Lumigny

Haliaeetus and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Panthera9

Panthera9 Well-Known Member

Tankwa comes from La Flèche ;)
    Punky must be separated from his daughters, it's very tense. A few months ago they almost killed him. He's still recovering
    Don't know if Aline (18 years old) will join him and the 2 old Katanga lionesses, Flèche and Benguela

Kifaru Bwana and Antoine like this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I take the south east african lion with a good pinch of salt. As if we have not had distinct Cape lions!

Megan Jones and Antoine like this.
  13. Antoine

Arrival of a new male siberian tiger called Zov, coming from Parco Natura Viva (Italy). He will be paired with female Neva. Dexter, Neva's father, left the park for Copenhagen where he will meet a new female.

Parcs Zoologiques Lumigny

14. Megan Jones

Megan Jones Well-Known Member

Could somebody please tell me how this collection is able to form a new breeding pride of white lions when the breeding of such animals is prohibited by eaza ?

15. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don’t most “Transvaal lions”/Panthera leo krugeri (which this park has according to ztl) happen to be white?

16. Megan Jones

Megan Jones Well-Known Member

a transcript of the official policy for reference
    EAZA Position on Intentional Breeding
    for the Expression of Rare Recessive Alleles
    26 April 2013
    Breeding practices that increase the phenotypic expression of single rare alleles through intentional inbreeding cause clearly abnormal or aberrant external and internal conditions and characteristics. The predictability of such outcomes from intentional inbreeding to produce phenotypic anomalies indicates that these practices are not in adherence with EAZA codes and practices including the EAZA Constitution (2006), EAZA Code of Practise (2004) and EAZA Code of Ethics (2009).
    Thus, EAZA institutions should not engage in such intentional breeding practices for the Expression of Rare Recessive Alleles from the perspectives of welfare, education, population management, and conservation.
    In addition, inappropriate breeding practices by others may result in animals expressing rare recessive alleles, which at times are in need of rescue. Therefore, providing holding and care for such animals and responding to rescue requests from local, state, or federal agencies are appropriate activities for EAZA institutions, provided that the delivery of thoughtful educational messages about the unfortunate results of inbreeding are part of any public display.

i believe this was intended to cover white lions, white tigers , golden tigers and king cheetah.

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  17. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

Not exactly news about the Parc des Félins, but do you have some tips to take good pictures across the fences, that ruin often the natural aspect of the enclosures, especially for the small/forest species where the shade is a supplementary difficulty?

18. Zoo2022

Zoo2022 Well-Known Member

Just those 4? - so missing out ALL domestic animals then, as by definition all will have been subject to selective breeding practices by humans - or will this logically be extended so that EAZA collections do not keep any domestic animal or any of the hundreds of mutations (natural and artificially selected) of fish, amphibians, mammals, reptiles, birds and many (most?) plants?
    This looks more political than logical.

19. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

Many domesticated and pet breeds don't require a lot of space and money.
    It isn't the case of White Tigers and other mutant large cats (+ hybrids...), their space would preferably allocated to genuinely endangered animals.
    This topic is interesting but should be moved to another thread, this one being solely dedicated to the Parc des Félins.

20. Arizona Docent

2022 births:
    0.0.1 southern oncilla on March 23
    0.0.1 jaguarundi on June 17

@Haliaeetus For photographing through fences, use a telephoto lens set to the largest aperture (smallest number). For example, if your lens is a 70-300 with an aperture that ranges from f/5.6 to f/22, set it to 300mm at f/5.6 .

(On a personal note I leave for Belgium and France in a few days, but still undecided if I will visit this park as my only zoo of the trip. If the train stopped within walking distance I would go for sure, but the nearest station - Marles-en-Brie - is six miles away and I don't know if I want the bother of trying to prearrange a taxi.)