Join our zoo community

Le Parc des Félins Parc des Felins news

Discussion in 'France' started by kiang, 5 Jul 2009.

1. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

There is a bus from the town of Melun, easily reachable from Paris. This is how I visited in 2016.

amur leopard likes this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for tip, though the bus from Melun is over an hour (and that's after the train ride from Paris). I have just figured out online the best option is train to Coulommiers, and bus from there is only twenty minutes (Parc Felins is the fourth bus stop from the train station).

twilighter and Mo Hassan like this.
  3. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Even better!

4. Arizona Docent

0.0.2 sand cat born August 11, 2022.

5. Nate-san

Nate-san Member

Hello,

I'm new here :)

1 black leopard born in may :)

Any news about the 14ha extension of the parc? Will it be lions that are already in the parc ? Or a new group?

Last edited: 14 Sep 2022
  6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Are these likely to be visible to the public yet?

7. Nate-san

Nate-san Member

Yes, there are visible to the public ;)

Same for Jaguarondi and black leopard (only in the morning for now).

littleRedPanda likes this.
  8. littleRedPanda

Do they have paper maps here, or big maps on boards? The map on the website is pretty difficult to read.

9. Nate-san

Nate-san Member

they give you at the entrance the map, and there is a big map close to the entrance. I'll go to le parc des félins on sunday, I will take a photo of the big map if you want ;)

10. Nate-san

Nate-san Member

@Antoine Hey ! Do you have any news about the next extension (lion) ? Or any new things coming or renovation?

11. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry but the park does not speak a lot about what it does. Lot's of time we learn news few months after they arrived.

Nate-san likes this.
  12. littleRedPanda

Thank you, but I went there today and had prepared a map myself. The maps around the park are really helpful. I really enjoyed my visit and managed to see the Sand cat kittens, which were my priority. The jaguarundi kitten was out too in the afternoon, but appeared to be limping a bit, although it was getting up to the little houses with no problem. It was funny as it climbed up the back leg of the structure and couldn't understand why there was no way in. The black Leopard cub was very lively in the earlier part of the day and after mum perched herself really high in a tree out of reach, the little one lodged itself in the bough of another tree. It was there just watching people rather than sleeping and I did wonder if it was stuck.
    I was planning on going back on Thursday, but am now thinking of doing a two trip to Pairi Daiza, instead of just the Friday.

13. Nate-san

Nate-san Member

I'm glad you enjoyed the parc :)

Btw, there are 3 Sri Lanka leopard born recently. I don't have the exact birth date, but they will be visible in a few days :)

Hopefully, they will be visible when I'll visit the parc this Sunday :)

14. Arizona Docent

I was there just under a week ago (Thursday, Sept 15) but didn't know about the black leopard cub. I did walk by their enclosure once in the afternoon and saw one adult sleeping on a platform and what looked like two adults sleeping together in the grass. I also only saw one adult Sri Lanka leopard, so maybe they are not on display yet (as you seem to indicate). Sand cat kittens were active at end of day (after 4pm) and jaguarundi kitten was active before that (around 3pm?). It was definitely NOT limping when I saw it; in fact it was running around quite energetically. At the very end of the day (between 4:30 and 4:40pm) I also saw the southern oncilla kitten (now almost six months old).

One thing that was new since my last visit a few years ago is the large black jaguar habitat at the front of the park.

15. Nate-san

Nate-san Member

Hello! I went to the park last sunday and yesterday, so here's some news :
    - forest cat Irene died a few month ago ( she was very old), a new female arrived a few days ago.
    - The ocelot Maroni is now alone, the female left a few weeks ago in la flèche
    - Sri lanka leopard babies are not visible yet. They will be visible in a few weeks
    - fishing cat has 2 exhibits now: one fishing cat (new male) is in the old enclosure of the temmincki cat.
    - Only 3 temmincki cat left (2 temmincki temmincki but the olf female is not visible anymore, and one temmincki tristis Phu Len)
    - Few new babies not yet announced

And, for the next big extension (the hôtel and new lions exhibit) , I can't tell a lot, but let say it's on his way :)

16. Arizona Docent

I didn't know they are adding a hotel (or if I did I forgot). That will be very nice indeed - I would stay there. In the past I have stayed in Fontenay-Tresigny (though in last week's visit I stayed in Paris).

17. littleRedPanda

I trust that you did not stay in the premiere classe? I stayed there and it was rather grim.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  18. Nate-san

Nate-san Member

For the hôtel and the extension, you can find all the information in this document: http://www.driee.ile-de-france.deve...et_ra_plu_lumigny-nesles-ormeaux_delibere.pdf

This is an administration document, so the project could be a little different in the end.
    But there will be an hôtel, I can confirm that. The main reason is that it's very hard to find an hôtel in the region, so the parc has decided to build his own hôtel :)

Arizona Docent and twilighter like this.
  19. Arizona Docent

On my very first visit in 2009 I did stay at Premiere Classe, which was basic at best. That's because I didn't know about the nicer Companile (now Kincaide) Hotel that shares their parking lot. On my visits in 2010 and 2013 I stayed there which was quite nice. Of course a hotel at the park will be nicer still.

20. Arizona Docent

In addition to the one black leopard cub and three Sri Lanka leopard cubs already mentioned, there are four new lion cubs (subspecies?).

Fallax likes this.