Join our zoo community

Parco Natura Viva Parco Natura Viva -- Verona

Discussion in 'Italy' started by ANyhuis, 26 Feb 2011.

1. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

Does anyone here know anything about this zoo? It's one of only two zoos in Italy with over a half million visitors per year. From what I can see on their website, they have a drive-through Safari Park, a Dinosaur Park, and a regular zoo.

I'd like to know more about this zoo -- its quality and animals.

2. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are zoos in Rome and Napoli so there are at least 3 zoos in Italy plus I suspect some smaller ones dotted around....

Sadly though, I know nothing about Verona zoo - could you post a link to website

Thanks

3. ANyhuis

- Parco Natura Viva

4. ANyhuis

I visited this fine zoo in late May (2012) and I was thoroughly impressed! From a brief totally-informal sight survey in the parking lot, I noted that they have many visitors from foreign nations all around Italy, so it is a true tourist attraction.

The drive-through Safari park was nice, though not at natural as I've seen elsewhere. There is no "I'm in Africa" feeling on this drive.

The zoo's newer Sentieri d'Africa section was probably the highlight. It includes: a unique habitat with rhinos and hippos living together; white lions; a spacious chimpanzee island with a large, very active troop; a Madagascar section with many different lemurs; and an attractive Australian section.

The main portion of the zoo is very hilly, with many exhibits creatively built into the hills, most having plenty of space. Some of these included: Siberian tigers, snow leopards, spectacled bears, and a large South American yard. The Europa section is a steep woodland hillside with large fenced exhibits of wolves, mouflon sheep, and fallow deer -- with an open pasture for wisents at the top of the hill.

The Extinction Park is a long loop through the woods and by a valley pond, with lots of life-size realistic dinosaurs all around.

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the review. Are you working on a European zoo guidebook and/or do you have a new website where you are posting your reviews?

6. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Rhinos and hippos together? Cool! You don't happen to have any photos?

7. ANyhuis

I'm always "unofficially" working on new books, but until I line up a publisher, I have nothing to announce. We have a new website, but it's still under construction.

8. Piko

Piko Well-Known Member 10+ year member

this zoo is the best in Italy
    there are a lot of animals that you can't find in other italian zoo (fossa, Pere David deer, red river hog, springbok, bamboo lemur...)

9. ANyhuis

It is the best by far!!!

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

P. Natura Viva has done a grand job and it is really one of those jewels in the crown of the Italian zoo conservation community. Look at their website and familiarise yourselves with their outreach work.

On site they managed to turn around a collection in rather antique setting into a modern day zoo with some imaginative landscaping and zoo exhibitry.