Join our zoo community

Paris - what to look out for?

Discussion in 'France' started by dillotest0, 7 Jun 2023.

1. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's possible that I will be visiting Paris in the Summer of 2023 including various zoos. So far I have had a few plans for visits - namely,
    -Zoo Vincennes
    -Jardin des Plantes Menagerie
    -Thoiry Safari
    -Parc des Felins
    For some time I had wanted also to visit Beauval, though I believe that these collections combined have most of the stuff of that collection. The aesthetic also seems rather 'touristy' for myself - so I think these collections will have a more breathable aesthetic.
    I was curious as to your thoughts - which species in particular are worth making note of in these collections? Are there any different collections you would recommend?
    I was also somewhat curious regarding the Paris Aquarium - I don't have any plans for it at current, but mayhaps if there's something worth seeing there I'll check it out.

2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As mentioned in the thread @Tim May linked, there are 2 aquaria in Paris. The Paris aquarium near the eifel tower is geared towards tourists, a somewhat more impressive version of a Sea Life. The smaller Aquarium de la Porte Doree, which is basically next to the Zoo Vincennes doesn't have any impressive tanks, but a lot of well done smaller ones and one of the most unique collections of tropical freshwater fish in Europe.

Beauval as a day trip from Paris isn't something I would do, the zoo is far too large for that and the distance somewhat too great. I would however recommend going to the Parc de Cleres, which is 1:50 by train from Paris and then a very short walk from the local train station. A review can be found here: Into the unknown: zoos of western France found it a very interesting zoo with a unique atmosphere that would be perfectly doable as a day trip

Alternatively Nausicaa in Boulogne-sur-Mer and even Bioparc Doue-la-Fontaine would be possible as very long day trips from Paris by public transport. But those are better combined with a night in Boulogne or Saumur/Angers