Join our zoo community

Parken Zoo Parken Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Thesweham, 8 Jan 2015.

1. Thesweham

Thesweham Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Thesweham

3. Thesweham

4. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anybody know which lions are currently living in Parken Zoo? In my database I found these names: Achir, Aslan, Chanda, Chinja, Ishara, Kaya, Sarla, Sunga, Narmade, Cambay, Sasan, Sher and Sinha.

5. swedish beaver

swedish beaver Active Member

Aslan is the male
    Chanda and Ishara is the two adult females
    Sunga and Narmada two cubs born last summer
    Cambay, Sasan, Sher and Sinha is the new cubs born in November
    All these are the current lions living at Parken Zoo
    Kaya is the old breeding male, he was put down a few years ago. Sarla I think was an old female, what happend to her I don´t know.

6. Thesweham

Last edited: 3 Mar 2017
  7. Thesweham

A first born for Parken Zoo - 2.3 Southern Cheetah was born in September to the female, Moja.

The cubs have been named; Doa, Kasi, Haraka, Chomo, Sikio.
    Söta gepardungar födda i Parken Zoo

:)

8. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

Parken Zoo bygger ett stort tam-och klappdjursområde

Parken Zoo will build a new and updated Children's Zoo for the 2018 season.

According to this link (unfortunately only in Swedish) they will keep the existing exhibits with alpacas, wallabys, rabbits, guinea pigs, goats etc, as well as adding new species, which will be announced at a later stage.

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you know if Parken still has Diana Monkeys, and if there are any young ones?

10. Swedish zoo man

Swedish zoo man Well-Known Member

no they dont have them anymore they had them for a prity short time oly 2-3 yers i think. dont tink the ever got any youngs. but i coud be wrong

Pertinax likes this.
  11. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

New species in Parken Zoo: Black-and-white Ruffed Lemurs, Volana and Makira arrived from Marwell Zoo.

Swedish zoo man and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So, this is gonna be a weird question, and I'm not sure if I should be making a new thread, but I was worried that it wasn't enough to justify that, so here we are.

In my perpetual dorkiness, I decided to look up if any character costumes of Reader Rabbit (the mascot of a long line of edutainment games) existed. Lo and behold, I found this.
    [​IMG]

My understanding is that these characters appear or appeared as late as 2010 at Parken Zoo in Sweden. Does anyone know if they still make appearances? Or, and I know this is a reach, if they don't, what the ultimate fate of the costumes was? Also, any native Swedes know if Reader Rabbit is just really popular in Sweden or something? My jaw hit the floor when I first saw these costumes because the characters certainly weren't popular enough here in America, the characters' country of origin, to warrant any appearances. And they look really high quality and on-model to boot.

I know this is a little weird to ask about on Zoochat. The only animals I'm asking about are some mascot characters, but I figure that if anyone knows then it's going to be someone here who goes semi-regularly or at least has been there. Thank you in advance for any info.

13. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

hi they are not a the park anymore now they have oringnal maskots from a mercat and lemur. they had ther own are of the park thath is lemur wake -thru. i think the lisnes run out and they dident bother tho renew it. i rember palying redear rabit games when i was small. but i dont now if it was a big hitt here in sweden

Hammy likes this.
  14. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah, thank you so much! A bit disappointing to hear, but hey, I'm glad to at least know now. And, if you played the games, then presumably they at least were known over there, enough to justify the mascot costumes. Again, thank you for the info. It's greatly appreciated.

carl the birder likes this.
  15. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

Earlier this month, a giant otter male born in Parken Zoo Sweden was moved to Argentina. He will participate in the project for the return of this species to that country, where they became extinct at the end of the 19th century. It is the two-and-a-half-year-old Nanay. In the future he will be released in the Iberá Park together with an female they expect to arrive later. This will make them the second giant otter pair in this project after animals from Hungary and Denmark came to Argentina earlier.

Besides Nanay and the other couple, at least one other giant otter has been living in Argentina for some time. He or she came to Argentina on their own, probably from the Paraguayan or Brazilian Pantanal, via more than a thousand kilometres of rivers.

Source: Instagram "Rewilding Argentina"

Therabu and JurassicMax like this.
  16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I uploaded approximately 130 photos from Parken Zoo into the gallery. A comprehensive review of the zoo will appear on my Snowleopard's 2022 Road Trip: Denmark, Sweden & Norway thread.

17. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member