Join our zoo community

Parque de Cotia (new zoo in São Paulo)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by David Matos Mendes, 24 Mar 2021.

1. BetoYoung

BetoYoung Well-Known Member

and what about the quantity of animals, can we expect over 1000 animals?

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  2. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I would say so. They seem to have the objective of appearing in the national major zoos scenery, and for that, they are much probably gonna keep a large collection. I would be more radical and guess something between 2000 to 3000.

3. BetoYoung

yeah, just like the lisbon zoo, they have 3000 animals. and also they keep indian rhinos.

4. David Matos Mendes

Yes, but Animalia park will be way larger than Lisbon in territory. For what I could see, they will be one of the largest institutions in the country when talking about constructed area (and much probably, will be one of the largest collections too). As we brazilians use to say, they've got the knife and the cheese on their hands, so now I just hope they become an actual conservationist institution (would be a little utopic, but I'm usually optimistic :D).

5. BetoYoung

it seems like it will surpass the collection of the san diego zoo, and that sounds awesome.

6. David Matos Mendes

Oh, I'm not mentioning the number of species. When I say 2000/3000, I mean the total animal population. If I had to guess the number of species, I would say something around 300.

7. BetoYoung

oh yes,i guess i was wrong.

8. BetoYoung

hey guys, i discovered something awesome today, i saw a new update about animalia park, and it seems like i discovered which animals they will keep, and it looks like they really will hold lions and maned wolves. And also they will hold giraffes, zebras, hippos,flamingos, animals from the amazon, raccons, deer, colobus monkey, gorillas,jaguars, kangaroos, elephants, meerkats, pelicans, cheetahs, hyenas, rhinos, crocodiles and including pandas. this was realesed 4 days ago.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2021
  9. David Matos Mendes

Wait a moment. Pandas? Really? Do you know where animalia park plans to acquire these animals from?

10. BetoYoung

i don't know, but if you searched animalia park update 7, search update in our language( brazilian portuguese) you will see a concept of the future map of the park, and there are many posts, and one of the posts include pandas.

11. BetoYoung

possibly from china, or from americans zoos that keep pandas, like smithsonian zoo and memphis zoo.

12. BetoYoung

but maybe i'm wrong or right.

13. David Matos Mendes

If they would want to receive pandas from either Smithsonian or Menphis, they would have to be accredited by AZA, wich I highly doubt they will be. Just like I previously mentioned about their gorilla plans, I'm still quite doubtfull about this panda stuff.

14. BetoYoung

me too, i don't know where they will bring these pandas, but if they do, that will be awesome, and i'm also doubtfull about the pandas, and i don't think our weather is good for them, and do you remember when the former riozoo said they would bring giant pandas to the zoo? this was in 2014 and now we are in 2021, and nothing happened.

15. David Matos Mendes

I'm not in favor of keeping giant pandas in Brazil at all... One of the motives, as you said, would be the weather. Bringing pandas to Rio, specially the way the zoo was at that time, was a ridiculous idea. I tend to think the chinese government gave up on that, as we had no news since then.

16. BetoYoung

you're right, but hey, did you see the new update?

17. David Matos Mendes

Yes, I saw, and I have to admit I quite liked what I've seen. The map seems to be in proccess of making, as I think there are still some animals to add, but the whole trail looks really nice IMO. Their exhibits seem to be of great quality, and that would not be an obstacle for them to be accredited by AZA, at least as far as I know. The issues I see are related to conservational/technical issues. I hope they somehow follow those purposes in a satisfactory way...

18. BetoYoung

i hope so as well.

19. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Red pandas are breeding very well in both of the Santiago de Chile zoos. Maybe some of the surplus will go to São Paulo.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. BetoYoung

or maybe the animalia park might be able to get giant pandas, although i disagree with this.